UConn Should Install the Triple Option | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Should Install the Triple Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we went to the triple option the NCAA would make the rule change about cut blocking that is desperately needed and already in place in the NFL. We would re-work our system and that would force the NCAA's hand. Rule #1.. We'd have another seven years in purgatory recovering...

It certainly feels that way sometimes.

So, if we hired the Squid to be our basketball coach, would the NCAA look the other way? I often wonder if the NCAA looks the other way for the school, coach or both. If Calipari is bulletproof at UK, is he bulletproof here?

How about Coach K? If he left Duke and came to UConn would he still be allowed to cheat? Not sure who has the personal equity to cheat vs which schools have it. I suspect K could cheat here, but Calipari couldn’t. Just a guess.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Or we could just invest the money in hiring a real coach.

Or you could keep crapping on the coach on your UConn Football-branded Twitter account that current signees and recruits follow.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What would have been more ideal is if we could have run the same offense we had last season but complimented it with a defense that could force an occasional punt or two. Randy needed to hold a bake sale and a car wash to keep Dunn here though and that was just too much for the UConn budget.

Reaction Score
Hey guys. Bumping this. I believe this could help us be successful as an independent.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hey guys. Bumping this. I believe this could help us be successful as an independent.
Because everyone wants to play teams that have an offense built around cheap borderline illegal blocks which could potentially end the careers of their players?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because everyone wants to play teams that cheap borderline illegal blocks which could potential end the career of their players?

I’m not saying it’s clean but I think it’s the way you win with the talent UConn is able to recruit

Reaction Score
Undoubtedly, an additional scheduling challenge makes sense.

I’m not so sure I buy that argument. I feel like a UConn team that is consistently winning while running the option is a more attractive game than an awful cupcake UConn lining in the power I every down.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UConn should install the triple option.

Yes, I know it’s a “high school offense” and yes I am aware of the chop blocks.

However! It is the refuge for teams that can’t recruit the same caliber player that their compition can and yet it gives them a chance to compete against that competition. (Plus it’s pretty entertaining and will instantly get the program attention).

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that this program won’t be able to compete for comparible recruits with the top of this conference, much less most P5 teams.

If the goal here is to win and make Bowl games, please explain to me how becoming an option team is not the best *~option~* for this program going forward.

Thank you.

Nonsense. This rubbish about us not being able to recruit is immediately contradicted by Temple, a school in the same region of the country with a far more horrible history than ours.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. This rubbish about us not being able to recruit is immediately contradicted by Temple, a school in the same region of the country with a far more horrible history than ours.

Lol Pennsylvania is a vastly superior recruiting area to CT/New England.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not so sure I buy that argument. I feel like a UConn team that is consistently winning while running the option is a more attractive game than an awful cupcake UConn lining in the power I every down.

Its not.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Lol Pennsylvania is a vastly superior recruiting area to CT/New England.

Who says you can't recruit PA? Edsall is FROM Pennsylvania. I've seen some really dumb things written here and this is one of the dumbest...acting like PA is next to California.

Reaction Score
Who says you can't recruit PA? Edsall is FROM Pennsylvania. I've seen some really dumb things written here and this is one of the dumbest...acting like PA is next to California.

There’s a difference between being near and being in

Reaction Score
UConn should install the triple option.

Yes, I know it’s a “high school offense” and yes I am aware of the chop blocks.

However! It is the refuge for teams that can’t recruit the same caliber player that their compition can and yet it gives them a chance to compete against that competition. (Plus it’s pretty entertaining and will instantly get the program attention).

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that this program won’t be able to compete for comparible recruits with the top of this conference, much less most P5 teams.

If the goal here is to win and make Bowl games, please explain to me how becoming an option team is not the best *~option~* for this program going forward.

Thank you.
Nice idea, but our top two QB's heading into August, Beaudry and Krajewski, I'm not so sure are suited for the triple option. Marvin Washington would have been great running the triple option but he's gone.
What we could do is use a halfback and fullback, and use the Tight End as the 3rd option. I think Rose will be our tight end this season.

Reaction Score
Nice idea, but our top two QB's heading into August, Beaudry and Krajewski, I'm not so sure are suited for the triple option. Marvin Washington would have been great running the triple option but he's gone.
What we could do is use a halfback and fullback, and use the Tight End as the 3rd option. I think Rose will be our tight end this season.

Fair!

Reaction Score
I obviously know that this will, almost certainly, never happen but I still believe this is the path of least resistance to UConn having a consistently winning football program

Reaction Score
I obviously know that this will, almost certainly, never happen but I still believe this is the path of least resistance to UConn having a consistently winning football program

I agree. UConn’s biggest problem is recruiting. You simply can’t recruit on an even playing field agains P5 and most AAC teams for the same offensive talent. Running the triple option would allow you to recruit good (even great) players who don’t really attract the attention of other programs.

It is why the service academies have run the option for decades.

Reaction Score
I just hope these new kids coming in can shore up the defense. Miles Bell, Eric Watts, Justin Moore, Malik Dixon, Dillon Harris, Jackson Mitchell, Pierce DeVaughn (out last year and hopefully he bulked up a little), Kevon Jones moves to the DL, Tyler Coyle might be team captain, and DJ Morgan transfer from ND. Hopefully the best news is Travis Jones will be a sophomore. I think we got a couple other transfers on defense but can't remember the names. A lot of these new kids were 3 star recruits, and Dillon Harris had offers from several P5 programs, so I'm hopeful.

Last edited:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
There’s a difference between being near and being in

Then explain how many blue chip national BB programs have routinely come into CT and plucked some of the greatest college BB talent in the country away from the Constitution State, including programs as far away as UCLA.

You also fail to mention that Temple isn't exactly the top destination in PA for in-state football recruits. They've got Penn State and Pitt scarfing up a lot of the best recruits, plus (heaven forbid!) there are many other schools from many other states, some very far away, that can read a map and find PA on it, including UCONN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom