UConn Should Install the Triple Option | The Boneyard

UConn Should Install the Triple Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn should install the triple option.

Yes, I know it’s a “high school offense” and yes I am aware of the chop blocks.

However! It is the refuge for teams that can’t recruit the same caliber player that their compition can and yet it gives them a chance to compete against that competition. (Plus it’s pretty entertaining and will instantly get the program attention).

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that this program won’t be able to compete for comparible recruits with the top of this conference, much less most P5 teams.

If the goal here is to win and make Bowl games, please explain to me how becoming an option team is not the best *~option~* for this program going forward.

Thank you.

Reaction Score
It'd be better if navy wasn't in the conference. It's less of a gimmick if multiple teams on your schedule run it

There are so many ways to scheme offense now and with the passing rules the way they are, it'd be foolish to throw the ball less than 30 times per game imo. I'm in the opposite camp and think we need a Mike Leach disciple who will throw it all around the yard. Give me 50+ attempts per game. WSU competes with a huge talent deficit

Reaction Score
It'd be better if navy wasn't in the conference. It's less of a gimmick if multiple teams on your schedule run it

There are so many ways to scheme offense now and with the passing rules the way they are, it'd be foolish to throw the ball less than 30 times per game imo. I'm in the opposite camp and think we need a Mike Leach disciple who will throw it all around the yard. Give me 50+ attempts per game. WSU competes with a huge talent deficit

I mean, I wouldn’t be against that either but that still requires recruiting kids with pure talent. Ie the ability to throw and catch, not to mention pass protect (things that can’t be taught).

The triple option relies more on intelligence and coaching.

WSU recruiting is mostly offering kids with offers from high G5 schools or kids that will obviously sit on the bench at bigger P5. That is how they get the talent to fit their nich.

I don’t think we are able to recruit even at that level, unfortuantly.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s no coincidence you’ve seen Navy’s productivity drop each year they’ve been in conference. It’s much easier to be effective when teams don’t play against it every year.

Reaction Score
It’s no coincidence you’ve seen Navy’s productivity drop each year they’ve been in conference. It’s much easier to be effective when teams don’t play against it every year.

Ok so is it a coincidence that Georgia Tech stayed relatively consistent (usually so-so with a few stand out years) under Paul Johnson in a better conference against better competiton with similarly inferior recruits?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ok so is it a coincidence that Georgia Tech stayed relatively consistent (usually so-so with a few stand out years) under Paul Johnson in a better conference against better competiton with similarly inferior recruits?
They can get a different breed of athletes

Reaction Score
We have been running the "the triple option" for the past few years.
option 1: tackle the running back for a loss
option 2: sack the quarterback for a loss
option 3: turn the ball over
I thought our triple option was:
Run off left tackle.
Run off Right tackle.
Throw screen pass to the flats.
Punt.

Both of you guys are right!

And, I’m taking these comments to mean that you agree with me,

Reaction Score
We have been running the "the triple option" for the past few years.
option 1: tackle the running back for a loss
option 2: sack the quarterback for a loss
option 3: turn the ball over

On a rather serious day, that gave me a serious chuckle.

Reaction Score
Or we could just invest the money in hiring a real coach.

Do you believe that there is a coach out there who will be able to recruit to UConn at the level needed to compete toe to toe with the big boys both in and out of the conference?

Reaction Score
Yup, so-so with a few more favorable seasons. Then, Tech’s conference opponents adjusted, recruiting declined, more so-so occurred or minimally inadequate records to meet inflated expectations, and Johnson went bye bye.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Do you believe that there is a coach out there who will be able to recruit to UConn at the level needed to compete toe to toe with the big boys both in and out of the conference?
Depends. How much money are you willing to pay for a HC salary and assistant pool?

Reaction Score
Yup, so-so with a few more favorable seasons. Then, Tech’s conference opponents adjusted, recruiting declined, more so-so occurred or minimally inadequate records to meet inflated expectations, and Johnson went bye bye.

Last year, before getting blasted by Georgia, they were 7-4 and, I believe, near the top of the country in total offense (or at least in rushing, obviously).

I think we’d all take that.

Reaction Score
Depends. How much money are you willing to pay for a HC salary and assistant pool?

In EA Sports NCAAF 2014 or in the real world?

Reaction Score
Last year, before getting blasted by Georgia, they were 7-4 and, I believe, near the top of the country in total offense (or at least in rushing, obviously).

I think we’d all take that.
Sure, but a different set of expectations and objectives is then ignored. Georgia Tech alumni and supporters wanted more, more consistency, further enhanced records, etc. 2 apples, just different!

Reaction Score
Sure, but a different set of expectations and objectives is then ignored. Georgia Tech alumni and supporters wanted more, more consistency, further enhanced records, etc. 2 apples, just different!

Of course! But to me this only furthers my point; I think we’d be happy with what Tech had.

Reaction Score
Of course! But to me this only furthers my point; I think we’d be happy with what Tech had.
And, ignores the outdated triple option has a born on outdated lifespan of wishful potential yet not guaranteed improvement, #s of kids attracted to old fogey offense, etc. Could BS about it, but doubt most people would seriously consider the possibility.

Reaction Score
And, ignores the outdated triple option has a born on outdated lifespan of wishful potential yet not guaranteed improvement, #s of kids attracted to old fogey offense, etc. Could BS about it, but doubt most people would seriously consider the possibility.

But how many kids are attracted to playing at UConn as is?

Reaction Score
If we went to the triple option the NCAA would make the rule change about cut blocking that is desperately needed and already in place in the NFL. We would re-work our system and that would force the NCAA's hand. Rule #1.. We'd have another seven years in purgatory recovering...

Reaction Score
If we went to the triple option the NCAA would make the rule change about cut blocking that is desperately needed and already in place in the NFL. We would re-work our system and that would force the NCAA's hand. Rule #1.. We'd have another seven years in purgatory recovering...

This is the only good argument I’ve seen against it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger