UConn seniors reflect on loss to Arizona | The Boneyard

UConn seniors reflect on loss to Arizona

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"The three seniors chalked up the loss to a variety of reasons: A lack of mental toughness, fatigue, a taxing Elite Eight showdown against Baylor and, quite simply, bad vibes. The outspoken Williams, mirroring Geno Auriemma’s comments the night of the loss, thinks the reason for their uncharacteristic play is obvious. “Immaturity,” she said with a shrug. “It’s that simple. We just have to grow up. Just going through that last year, and being a senior, too, we know what we have to do.”

Sounds a bit like a whine rather than a list of reasons. Don't miss the point Arizona was the superior team who forced UCONN to play as they did. Mental toughness is a reason as well as immaturity. Not to mean the team is young but they show an emotional immaturity. What a sad legacy it would be for the seniors to not win the NCAA championship yet again. Then without them the team wins 1, 2, or 3 NCAA championships. Bad vibes?! Sounds like an immature excuse.

Reaction Score
In fact, last year's team just did not resemble the toughness of past UConn teams. What of looking ahead to the drama of a national championship game against their true rival, Stanford? What of ONOs 0 for 7? Did Paige's injury play a part in her 5 of 13 performance? A Paige-centric team had no other answers - Certainly "Unfinished business" hangs over this year's team; they must win, & probably will.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Don't over-analyze the game. We got beat by a better team that night. Arizona made us play their game.

Williams is not whining. She is stating facts. Don't forget we are discussing young adults, some of who have not reached the age of adulthood - 21. Reflect back on your own life. We all have events in our lives that change and mature us. And remember, we all have a different learning curve/ internal clock that we can't change.

This team and the returning players seemed to have learned from the loss. There is a purpose, a goal. They know what needs to be done. We shall see what the future brings. I, for one, am looking forward to the season.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Don't over-analyze the game. We got beat by a better team that night. Arizona made us play their game.
Williams is not whining. She is stating facts. Don't forget we are discussing young adults, some of who have not reached the age of adulthood - 21. Reflect back on your own life. We all have events in our lives that change and mature us. And remember, we all have a different learning curve/ internal clock that we can't change.
This team and the returning players seemed to have learned from the loss. There is a purpose, a goal. They know what needs to be done. We shall see what the future brings. I, for one, am looking forward to the season.
Absolutely Arizona outplayed them. Actually the whine was the author's summarization of all of the seniors statements. Bad vibes are a fact? ;) Yes, they are young adults who are maturing slower than previous players on championship teams. I am looking forward to the season because if the seniors falter in any game, I believe their will be able substitutes to perform as Geno expects.

Reaction Score
...And don't look now, but 'Way too early' Charlie Creme has a 2nd round matchup in March Madness '22 with UConn & Arizona. UConn by 25.

Reaction Score

Adults are 18. They can vote, they can joined the Armed forces, they are responsible for their own decisions. You don't have to be able to drink to be an adult.

Reaction Score
You could see the immaturity of that team by the looks on their faces and the body language in the 4th quarter. They believed they were going to lose. I've never seen anything like that with any previous UConn WCB team.

Reaction Score
"The three seniors chalked up the loss to a variety of reasons: A lack of mental toughness, fatigue, a taxing Elite Eight showdown against Baylor and, quite simply, bad vibes. The outspoken Williams, mirroring Geno Auriemma’s comments the night of the loss, thinks the reason for their uncharacteristic play is obvious. “Immaturity,” she said with a shrug. “It’s that simple. We just have to grow up. Just going through that last year, and being a senior, too, we know what we have to do.”

Sounds a bit like a whine rather than a list of reasons. Don't miss the point Arizona was the superior team who forced UCONN to play as they did. Mental toughness is a reason as well as immaturity. Not to mean the team is young but they show an emotional immaturity. What a sad legacy it would be for the seniors to not win the NCAA championship yet again. Then without them the team wins 1, 2, or 3 NCAA championships. Bad vibes?! Sounds like an immature excuse.

well she said immaturity is one of the reasons… so it makes sense why you find the excuse “immature” simple logic honestly

Reaction Score

Better coaching would have got us the win as well...

Reaction Score
You could see the immaturity of that team by the looks on their faces and the body language in the 4th quarter. They believed they were going to lose. I've never seen anything like that with any previous UConn WCB team.
UCONN, absolutely had the look of a deer in head lights all game. I think Beating South Carolina, Iowa and Baylor may have gotten to the girls head and even the Coaches too. First time I have ever seen a UCONN team be so submissive and over looking of a team. Arizona was solid and played a very scrappy and tenacious game. Which I feel was motivated by UCONN's arrogance and being over looked.

Geno constantly talks about the newer generation and the struggles in coaching them. I think he's starting to adapt to how to coach this new generation and their mindset. I think a younger coach on staff could help bridge that connection. Just a thought.
I believe with the potential of depth on this current team, Geno, may be able to convey the types of messages he likes to give to players when they are not competing or mentally checked out. Who wants to compete!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Why are some posters under rating Arizona? You do realize they came within a basket of a NC? Was Stanford playing scared too?

I think UConn was hurt by the lack of crowds all season. UConn is usually used to playing in front of large crowds, and I consider it an advantage. That was missing this season. Overall it was a hghly unusual season, hard to really compare to any other season.

Reaction Score
...And don't look now, but 'Way too early' Charlie Creme has a 2nd round matchup in March Madness '22 with UConn & Arizona. UConn by 25.
Hee, hee. “Better get ‘em this year because next year you won’t.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Adults are 18. They can vote, they can joined the Armed forces, they are responsible for their own decisions. You don't have to be able to drink to be an adult.
Everyone matures at their own rate. I know 50 year olds that need to grow up and 16 year olds that are wise beyond their years. A switch doesn’t automatically get flipped when someone turns 18

Reaction Score
There was no difference between this past season and recent ones. They put more talent on the floor than the teams that beat them. All schools dealt with COVID. If there is one team that can’t complain about being tired, it’s UCONN. The other schools in the FF came into the Tourney after tough and competitive conference playoffs. UCONN slept-walked through the BE. I know I’m in the minority on this but the lack of competition in BE hurts them. Their last 9 or 10 games of the season were against teams that couldn’t beat them if Geno sent the team home after the 3rd quarter.

The one consistent during these years of losing in the FF is the coach. I know all about his record and his accomplishments but a theme is developing here. No one seems to be ready to takeover the game. Coaching?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The one consistent during these years of losing in the FF is the coach. I know all about his record and his accomplishments but a theme is developing here. No one seems to be ready to takeover the game. Coaching?
Please inform us what other coach, in WCBB or elsewhere, has been able to win the opportunity to lose in five consecutive FInal Fours?

Reaction Score
Lighten up.
Young club that wasn’t up to the task.
Two starting quarts with injuries.
Big fan here but I can rationalize last year.
Teenagers under the national spotlight with unrealistic expectations.
Get over it.

Reaction Score
Please inform us what other coach, in WCBB or elsewhere, has been able to win the opportunity to lose in five consecutive FInal Fours?
Yea.. if he was a horse, we could bet on him to place.

Reaction Score
There was no difference between this past season and recent ones. They put more talent on the floor than the teams that beat them. All schools dealt with COVID. If there is one team that can’t complain about being tired, it’s UCONN. The other schools in the FF came into the Tourney after tough and competitive conference playoffs. UCONN slept-walked through the BE. I know I’m in the minority on this but the lack of competition in BE hurts them. Their last 9 or 10 games of the season were against teams that couldn’t beat them if Geno sent the team home after the 3rd quarter.

No, players. In game coaching is VERY overrated and I coached HS for almost 20 years. There is no magic formula; in pressure packed, close games between really good teams it comes down to which players make plays, usually at the end. Uconn has just not had anyone make those one or two game changing plays for several years now.
One of the reasons I remark often about the many posts and threads here regarding current players, recruits, etc. is because games are not played on paper via stats, nor player rankings, nor subjective awards, especially any ONE game. It is obvious the only thing that matters in one game tournaments is THAT game so the idea that UCONN (or any team) is destined to win anything is ludicrous to me, no matter how many #1 recruits or “generational” players their fans think they have.

Reaction Score
Yea.. if he was a horse, we could bet on him to place.
And we can bet on you to
Photobucket GIF

Reaction Score
1. We could not guard McDonald. Nobody on our team could stay in front of her. Our defensive issues caught up with us. She got hers and she dished off to teammates.
2. Our bigs had a terrible game
3. Arizona's defense locked us up. We had few easy or uncontested shots. Arizona's defense was vastly under rated. They made all of their opponents struggle on offense. We didn't have enough answers offensively. Nobody stepped up. 22 points in the first half! That's where the game was lost.

We need to get better if we want to win the big prize. The competition will be very strong again in 2021-22. Nothing is a given.

Reaction Score
Bad game by both Geno & the players. AZ played a rock throwing game with an edge, and UConn was too reliant as a finesse, perimeter team led by Paige. Once Paige got locked up, the necessary adjustments werent made. Geno was outcoached & the AZ players were physically & mentally tougher than the UConn players. Ugly loss all-around.

In the FF, you need some "easy" baskets through the post or turnovers on defense. Finesse, perimeter teams usually dont win. UConn didnt have that last year. Hopefully, the new players will help in this regard this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom