UConn seniors reflect on loss to Arizona | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn seniors reflect on loss to Arizona

Reaction Score
Adults are 18. They can vote, they can joined the Armed forces, they are responsible for their own decisions. You don't have to be able to drink to be an adult.
My fault. They can join the Armed forces.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
My observation on the loss is (1) Defense was not the issue- both teams played each other good defensively - they were both under 30% I believe after the first half. (2) No second ball handler to allow more off ball movement for Paige. I think this is where they missed Nika a lot defensively too. (3) No offense- can't win with just great defense need to make shots. Only offense came from PB and CW. Plus everyone else was open and missed easy chip ins. Arizona wasn't shooting lights out themselves. When Geno made an adjustment and PB was able to get some separation and got them within 5 that was their opportunity. I recall Arizona called timeout immediately because they saw the momentum shifting a little. In all I was disappointed they couldn't finish, but not surprised. I also think Baylor softened them up for Arizona they were in a bruiser in that game. Arizona played the same- remember when PB got the stars knocked out of her. Arizona wasn't necessarily better they played smarter. They knew they weren't gonna win a shootout, as others have mentioned they took them out of their game, Uconn's biggest weapon is their transition sets and they couldn't get in any rythmn. I think for such a young class they overachieved. The question really becomes what did they take away from the loss? How will they translate what they learned from that loss for gains this season? Those will be the biggest questions they have to answer.

Reaction Score
My observation on the loss is (1) Defense was not the issue- both teams played each other good defensively - they were both under 30% I believe after the first half. (2) No second ball handler to allow more off ball movement for Paige. I think this is where they missed Nika a lot defensively too. (3) No offense- can't win with just great defense need to make shots. Only offense came from PB and CW. Plus everyone else was open and missed easy chip ins. Arizona wasn't shooting lights out themselves. When Geno made an adjustment and PB was able to get some separation and got them within 5 that was their opportunity. I recall Arizona called timeout immediately because they saw the momentum shifting a little. In all I was disappointed they couldn't finish, but not surprised. I also think Baylor softened them up for Arizona they were in a bruiser in that game. Arizona played the same- remember when PB got the stars knocked out of her. Arizona wasn't necessarily better they played smarter. They knew they weren't gonna win a shootout, as others have mentioned they took them out of their game, Uconn's biggest weapon is their transition sets and they couldn't get in any rythmn. I think for such a young class they overachieved. The question really becomes what did they take away from the loss? How will they translate what they learned from that loss for gains this season? Those will be the biggest questions they have to answer.
Ododa had a triple-single with 1 point in 20 minutes. Now you never really know who is playing hurt. Hopefully she took something away from the loss.

Reaction Score
Arizona played in a tough PAC-12 Conference, UConn played in the Big Easy. All you need to know.

Reaction Score
Like someone already stated, we got out played. Hopefully the ladies use that Arizona game as something to fuel their fire for this season. This current roster of talent is scary good. Our starting unit, if we go with the crew from last season, is solid. But that 2nd unit, if the coaching staff go deep, could be like that Kentucky men's basketball team a few years ago (2014-15) when Calipari had a garage full of Ferraris and installed a platoon system. But the bottom line, our team just got outplayed. Arizona wanted it more than our beloved UConn squad.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arizona played in a tough PAC-12 Conference, UConn played in the Big Easy. All you need to know.
Good grief. We had to have one of these.

UCLA also played in the "tough" Pac-12, and even destroyed Arizona in the Pac-12 tournament, and yet they weren't able to beat Texas in the second round. So does the Pac-12 get blamed for that loss?

I'm not going to disrespect the Arizona Wildcats by falsely giving their conference credit for a huge win that they EARNED all on their own.

Reaction Score
A couple of things to add to this if I may:

1) If it was simple as chalking it up to not being capable of beating a good team from a loaded conference because the BE had Uconn unprepared, then Uconn would have lost to Iowa. Iowa came into the game playing lights out and the Big 10 showed how deep a conference they were in the tournament. Clark didn't have her best game but the other Iowa starters picked up the slack for her. The final margin of 20 was deceiving as Iowa battled Uconn tough most of the way until it go away from them in the final few minutes. The difference between that game and the AZ game was Uconn was more mentally and strategically prepared than they were for AZ.
2) I agree Uconn started out the AZ game in "deer of headlights" mode but as the game went on they did make some runs and got the game within two possessions at least on a few occasions. AZ had the mental toughness to sustain Uconn's runs. Uconn also had some hasty and unnecessary fouls towards the end of the game instead of trying to make the stop as there was still enough time to mount a comeback without sending AZ to the line and hoping they miss. This resulted in some "free points" for AZ so instead of Uconn being down only 5 or so with the ball and causing AZ to start playing nervously, the lead would be back up to 7 allowing AZ to breathe easier and play with a little more poise. To me that was just as crucial as the missed Uconn layups and FT that are often brought up.

Reaction Score
Then explain how UConn won championships while in the miserable American east you are such a negative boneyarder to the league and Geno

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Ododa had a triple-single with 1 point in 20 minutes. Now you never really know who is playing hurt. Hopefully she took something away from the loss.
They were banged up, but they just had no fight left. It takes your momentum especially meeting up on someone hungrier than you.

Reaction Score
They were banged up, but they just had no fight left. It takes your momentum especially meeting up on someone hungrier than you.
Hopefully, the team learned that wearing a UCONN uniform is both an honor and a TARGET.
They’re all gunning for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom