UConn Secret Scrimmage | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Secret Scrimmage

Reaction Score
Villanova is remarkable in that both of their guards -- Gillespie and Moore -- are very effective posting up. And then kicking out to shooters if need be. They are clever with the ball and sturdy for their size.

Hopefully the UConn coaching staff has plan A and plan B to deal with it. Cole, Gaffney, and even Jackson couldn't defend it last year. Jackson can --physically-- but the VU guards are crafty vets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The issue is Moore likes to post up too, and he’s bigger than Gillespie. So if you want Cole in the game, he needs to guard one of them. Unless you adjust the strategy to double quicker or go zone.

I have no problem sitting Cole for extended minutes if he cannot defend either of the Nova guards. It's his biggest ceiling tile- short in height, short arm reach, below average athleticism.

Reaction Score
Villanova is remarkable in that both of their guards -- Gillespie and Moore -- are very effective posting up. And then kicking out to shooters if need be. They are clever with the ball and sturdy for their size.

Hopefully the UConn coaching staff has plan A and plan B to deal with it. Cole, Gaffney, and even Jackson couldn't defend it last year. Jackson can --physically-- but the VU guards are crafty vets.
Yeah Jackson wasn’t a disciplined defender at all last season because of so many bad high school habits. Hurley recently said he could be one of the best defenders in the country though, so I imagine he’s making a lot of progress there.

Reaction Score
That's the problem. If you body him up, Gillespie will go all Dodgeball on you with ducks, dips, dives, etc until he draws a foul. Length and patience to me is better than trying body him up.
Maybe, or maybe it's CF Jr on him with help side coming from AJAX.

Reaction Score
I have no problem sitting Cole for extended minutes if he cannot defend either of the Nova guards. It's his biggest ceiling tile- short in height, short arm reach, below average athleticism.
If JC sat KEA againstf Duke partly due to fouls but also because his game plan was to stop Pg penetration and you have Ricky ,Cole can sit especially if our other scoring options are clicking

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That phrase was also attributed to Carlos Marcello of the Mafia.
If the two dead guys were dead because the Mafia chopped their heads off, the third guy becomes more likely to keep his mouth shut. Back to the scrimmage or is there one? I’ll never tell.

Reaction Score
Yeah Jackson wasn’t a disciplined defender at all last season because of so many bad high school habits. Hurley recently said he could be one of the best defenders in the country though, so I imagine he’s making a lot of progress there.
He has the best raw defensive skills at his positions since Burrell.
Burrell was lucky playing with great perimeter players as a freshman which better hid his mistakes but Jackson could lead a tough perimeter with
some of the guys we have as he matures.

Reaction Score
Gillespie is coming off a pretty major injury I believe he might not be who he was last year or take him a while.
He plays like a punk with the push off and such. If your going to be called for a foul, then start giving him HARD fouls. Make him think twice before pushing off. In the old Big East he would have had his butt hammered on.

Reaction Score
That's the problem. If you body him up, Gillespie will go all Dodgeball on you with ducks, dips, dives, etc until he draws a foul. Length and patience to me is better than trying body him up.
Like the mongoose standing a bit back to throw the attacking cobra off balance.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Gillespie is coming off a pretty major injury I believe he might not be who he was last year or take him a while.
He plays like a punk with the push off and such. If your going to be called for a foul, then start giving him HARD fouls. Make him think twice before pushing off. In the old Big East he would have had his butt hammered on.
And we now have a very deep bench so lots of fouls. ;)

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What was the starting lineup?

Reaction Score
"Plays like a punk". Is that the same as taking what the officials will give him? Because if it is, he surely punked us.

Reaction Score
"Plays like a punk". Is that the same as taking what the officials will give him? Because if it is, he surely punked us.

I disagree with him playing like a punk. He’s just taking advantage of what the stripes allow him to do so who could blame him? Time for our guys to step up and stop him. But punked us? Yeah he did let’s be sure to make him earn it next time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom