UConn-SCSU postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-SCSU postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like Geno starting Caroline. Having Aubrey and KK coming off the bench really changes the tempo of the game. Both are super energy players and are going to really cause problems for our opponents second string players. Isuneh also plays a completely different style than Aaliyah, which is also a benefit to our game. As stated above, towards the end of the season, the freshman are really going to make our team unbeatable.

Reaction Score
quite impressed and happy with KK and Ice. I was sad to see so many turnovers, which really plagued us last year. I suspect Amari got very few minutes as she is still recovering fomr her medical issues.
I hope that’s the reason. I would love to see her get to where she can consistently give us 10-15 minutes per game of non garbage time!

Reaction Score
All and all a good game to have under their belt going into the regular season. None of the freshman (including ICE in that group) looked lost and for the most part looked pretty good. ICE and KK made the case for primary backups, Ashlyn and Q look ready to get non-4th Q minutes. I'm surprised Amari only got garbage minutes in an exhibition game; I have hoped she would begin showing some quality play this year. There is a whole season for her to do that but she'll need to play a lot of minutes to have a shot at raising her level and I doubt she'll get them.
I Doubt it as well

Reaction Score
And when we're talking about rotations, let's not forget about Ayanna. We may see her next week. She has tremendous potential but last year seemed a little unsure of herself.
Still is

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Just once I would like to see Deberry using her size to make space under the basket and demanding the ball. Today playing against an over matched team she showed nothing that we haven't seen before. I doubt if we see much of her this year and I get the feeling that she is content with that.

Reaction Score
A few observations,
Paige Bueckers looks like a completely different person
Her increase in size and strength was kind of shocking
Even though it was a physical mismatch her ability to play through contact better than previous seasons
Was evident
Additionally, she didn’t show any signs of hesitation

Caroline seemed to be moving well an not showing signs of previous injuries

Was curious ito watch the freshman play
few thoughts
Ice Brady has excellent skills Was very impressed on a postop move, where she faked one way and pivoted, and came back to her right hand her off hand
Been a while, since Uconn has had a player with this kind ofpost up skills

She’s certainly physically ready to play the college game, but I suspect she may have a little trouble defensively guarding players away from the basket

Both kk Arnold and s shade and are also physically ready for the college game and are in a perfect position to be complementary players this year
Arnold has a great feel for the game displays lots of confidence and despite some things I’ve read that she plays only one speed it’s too fast. I didn’t see that today as she played very much under control and use change of pace very well.
My sense is that she can get by people very easily

Shade looks like she can really defend shoot it well enough and rebounds very well from the guard position

K Samuels seems to have good instincts
Potentially a good 3 pint shooter
The physical nature of the college game will be her challenge

Lots of players to talk about this season but to me it begins and ends with Paige Bueckers
And while I was somewhat surprised to hear Genos comments, that P B
Was a significantly better player than her freshman year after having seen her today. Hard to disagree.

Who knows how the season will turn out but it’s going to be a joy to watch them play

Reaction Score
My guess is that the starting lineup will eventually change and evolve. I was surprised by how small we started the game! Loved seeing Caroline start, as that signals she’s looked good in practice. Her at her best is another great asset to the team. Could eventually see Ice of Aubrey starting as well. It’s great to have so many options.

Paige being back is monumental. She played few minutes, but her presence was huge.

Agree the rotation will probably be 8, including todays starters, Ice, Aubrey, and KK.

Overall glad to be back and excited to see how this season goes.
Be prepared to be continually surprised. With how thin the team is in bigs, Edwards and Brady will almost never be on the floor together, particularly with how much talent the team has at the guard and wing positions. Carol and Aubrey will be taking turns at the four all season unless something dramatic happens; if they are not, the team is in big trouble.

Reaction Score
And when we're talking about rotations, let's not forget about Ayanna. We may see her next week. She has tremendous potential but last year seemed a little unsure of herself.
She hasn't been able to practice at all. Don't hold your breath waiting for her. Besides, where would she it in? Whose minutes would she take?

Reaction Score
I hope that’s the reason. I would love to see her get to where she can consistently give us 10-15 minutes per game of non garbage time!
Whose minutes would you take away to give her 10-15?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I attended the game in person, and I've read all the posts in this thread. Generally I agree with them, but I'd like to add a few more observations that may not be as gung-ho as most of the posters in this thread. I'm focusing mostly on the "newbies" (i.e., freshman + Ice). I think all of the veterans except Amari looked outstanding and ready to go for the season.
  1. Is Ashlynn Shade really Kelly Faris V2.0, as many Boneyarders have suggested? I don't think so. Obviously, she is similar insofar as she plays intelligently, has the same ruggedness because she is in such good physical shape, knows her role and sticks to it, and always gives 100% hustle. But to my eyes she is much less athletic than Kelly was (running speed, quickness in changing direction, leaping ability). She is also an inch or two shorter than Kelly. That means she is unlikely ever to defend on the perimeter or rebound as well as Kelly did. She will be a valuable member of the team for four years, and she may turn out to be a better outside shooter than Kelly was before her senior year, but there is a definite ceiling on her realistic contributions.
  2. Can K.K. Arnold live up to her press releases? I say "unqualified yes" to this question. She is just as lightning-fast, quick, and relentless on defense as she has been described. Two skills that I saw which I don't recall seeing in the advance press are her ball-handling in traffic and her passing. There were several times when she had contested possession of the ball, where it could easily have been stolen from her, but she came out of the scrum with the ball. And she made some finishing passes that Paige or Nika would be proud of. The only thing that I didn't see from her was outside shooting. If that is a real problem and defenses figure it out, it will limit her minutes because no one will guard her closely.
  3. Is "Q" (Qadence Samuels) an Aubrey-in-waiting? I say Yes. I think she will have a year very similar to Aubrey's freshman year, with the same assets and limitations. She may be a better 3-point shooter than Aubrey is even now.
  4. Is Ice going to be in the top echelon of UConn forwards by the time she graduates (just as Aaliyah will be)? I say Yes to this question also. Ice is already a strong rebounder (as best as can be determined against this outmatched opposition). When she rebounds the ball, it stays rebounded. She plays intelligently and is not intimidated (again we need to see if this will be the case against top competition). I think Geno will eventually decide that UConn needs two "real" bigs against top competition, and therefore will play Aaliyah and Ice at the same time for long stretches. I would expect to see Aubrey and Caroline mostly at the "3", with roughly equal minutes. The "true" guards (Paige, Nika, Azzi, KK, Ashlynn, and Ines) can split the minutes at the 1 and 2 positions, with the first four of those obviously getting the dominant share against good competition.
  5. I am mystified by the mere 7 minutes given to Amari in a lopsided game. The only conclusion that seems plausible is that Geno still does not have confidence in her, based on her practice performance. In a game as non-competitive as this one, you would think he would give her enough minutes to get the rust out and develop some confidence. I guess that hasn't happened in the practices to date. So I hope that when Ayanna returns, she is much higher in Geno's pecking order.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Whose minutes would you take away to give her 10-15?
1-2 from everyone ? Just a thought. The same way everyone gets minutes. Execute in practice and execute when you're in a game.

Geno has said many times that we had players who had to play too many minutes last year and they won't be playing nearly as many minutes this year.

I'm expecting to see interesting lineups & combinations of talents on the floor. As long as we have kids with healthy bodies.

Tournament time, coach will be playing the best combination of player to get the win.

Reaction Score
Be prepared to be continually surprised. With how thin the team is in bigs, Edwards and Brady will almost never be on the floor together, particularly with how much talent the team has at the guard and wing positions. Carol and Aubrey will be taking turns at the four all season unless something dramatic happens; if they are not, the team is in big trouble.
I don’t think so but we’ll see

Reaction Score
I attended the game in person, and I've read all the posts in this thread. Generally I agree with them, but I'd like to add a few more observations that may not be as gung-ho as most of the posters in this thread. I'm focusing mostly on the "newbies" (i.e., freshman + Ice). I think all of the veterans except Amari looked outstanding and ready to go for the season.
  1. Is Ashlynn Shade really Kelly Faris V2.0, as many Boneyarders have suggested? I don't think so. Obviously, she is similar insofar as she plays intelligently, has the same ruggedness because she is in such good physical shape, knows her role and sticks to it, and always gives 100% hustle. But to my eyes she is much less athletic than Kelly was (running speed, quickness in changing direction, leaping ability). She is also an inch or two shorter than Kelly. That means she is unlikely ever to defend on the perimeter or rebound as well as Kelly did. She will be a valuable member of the team for four years, and she may turn out to be a better outside shooter than Kelly was before her senior year, but there is a definite ceiling on her realistic contributions.
  2. Can K.K. Arnold live up to her press releases? I say "unqualified yes" to this question. She is just as lightning-fast, quick, and relentless on defense as she has been described. Two skills that I saw which I don't recall seeing in the advance press are her ball-handling in traffic and her passing. There were several times when she had contested possession of the ball, where it could easily have been stolen from her, but she came out of the scrum with the ball. And she made some finishing passes that Paige or Nika would be proud of. The only thing that I didn't see from her was outside shooting. If that is a real problem and defenses figure it out, it will limit her minutes because no one will guard her closely.
  3. Is "Q" (Qadence Samuels) an Aubrey-in-waiting? I say Yes. I think she will have a year very similar to Aubrey's freshman year, with the same assets and limitations. She may be a better 3-point shooter than Aubrey is even now.
  4. Is Ice going to be in the top echelon of UConn forwards by the time she graduates (just as Aaliyah will be)? I say Yes to this question also. Ice is already a strong rebounder (as best as can be determined against this outmatched opposition). When she rebounds the ball, it stays rebounded. She plays intelligently and is not intimidated (again we need to see if this will be the case against top competition). I think Geno will eventually decide that UConn needs two "real" bigs against top competition, and therefore will play Aaliyah and Ice at the same time for long stretches. I would expect to see Aubrey and Caroline mostly at the "3", with roughly equal minutes. The "true" guards (Paige, Nika, Azzi, KK, Ashlynn, and Ines) can split the minutes at the 1 and 2 positions, with the first four of those obviously getting the dominant share against good competition.
  5. I am mystified by the mere 7 minutes given to Amari in a lopsided game. The only conclusion that seems plausible is that Geno still does not have confidence in her, based on her practice performance. In a game as non-competitive as this one, you would think he would give her enough minutes to get the rust out and develop some confidence. I guess that hasn't happened in the practices to date. So I hope that when Ayanna returns, she is much higher in Geno's pecking order.
Quadence seems to be a talented player
But don’t see any comparison to aubrey
No where near the size or explosiveness
Aubrey even as a freshman had dominant
Athleticism

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
  1. I am mystified by the mere 7 minutes given to Amari in a lopsided game. The only conclusion that seems plausible is that Geno still does not have confidence in her, based on her practice performance. In a game as non-competitive as this one, you would think he would give her enough minutes to get the rust out and develop some confidence. I guess that hasn't happened in the practices to date. So I hope that when Ayanna returns, she is much higher in Geno's pecking order.
Perhaps this was the plan, based on the fact that she had back surgery this past summer?

Reaction Score
I am just happy to see the team playing, especially Caroline. She was out there for 23 minutes, going hard. Love it!! Great to get everyone some minutes on the floor. I agree with everyone, the freshmen are going to be NICE!! KK and her on the ball defense. Ash with her toughness and rebounding. Q with her smoothness and confidence. I am loving Ice and her command of the post. She is going to be NICE as well. But I was just happy to see the team playing.

Reaction Score
I just finished watching the after game press conference and I’ve gotta say, Aaliyah is really an impressive young lady. I think she’s going to be a huge star in this game for a long time. I listened to her speak about the little girl who dressed up like her and it really opened my eyes as to what a great person she is.
The other thing that struck me was just how close this team is. They were very generous and solicitous of Ashlynn and her first game experience (Aaliyah actually reached over and patted her approvingly) and were laughing uproariously about Geno ranting about 20 fouls when they really only had 8! Aaliyah and Azzi both were so articulate and generous even in their answers to the reporters. I just can’t help but think this team is exceptional in ways far beyond their obvious basketball skills.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything but the Farris/Ashlyn comparison. I don’t think they are anything alike but I do think Ashlyn is much more athletic than Farris. A better comparison for Ashlyn imo is Shea Ralph. Obviously not as good but similar styles of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom