UConn rivals ranked by tiers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn rivals ranked by tiers

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UMass was our primary rival pre-Calhoun. Before that it was URI.

That's like saying the Visigoths were a formidable bunch.

With our nomadic history the argument for MBB is between Cuse and Nova as the only consistent rivals but as I said earlier. Our rival is whomever is challenging us for the crown. In the modern era that was, GT, Nova, Cuse, then Pitt, Louisville for a bit.

Anyone saying BC needs to be shown the door. We beat them 23 straight games, that's Washington Generals territory.

If you want to talk about the overall AD, Cuse and BC for the CR nonsense and always will be.

Reaction Score
How are those “tiers”? I would expect some form of hierarchy. Those are just random categories.

I would have it like

True hatred
Respectful hatred
Dislike
Don’t respect
Hate from a distance
Respected peer

Or something

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cuse is UConn’s one and only true rival.

Than, a relatively stable group of Gtown, PC and Nova

Below that a rotating cast of dweebs and clowns

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They way I see it, if we were to schedule a game for tomorrow, at any qualified venue between NYC and Boston, the opponent that we would sell out our allotment the quickest (and require the most aftermarket traffic) would be Cuse, even as bad as they have been this season.

Reaction Score
Add Miami into its own tier under the header: never getting over Darius Rice 3.

That was 19 years ago? Holy crap. I just remember falling to my knees when Rice's shot went in and the buzzer went off.

Reaction Score
We have two titles Duke thinks belong to them. They think about us.
Duke has worked along with others to marginalize UConn thru realignment. Their only motivation, we committed the unforgivable tournament Cinderella sin. UConn shed the Cinderella cloak for a Blue Blood Cloak. The only reason Duke is not a rival, is they don't want the rivalry.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
That was 19 years ago? Holy crap. I just remember falling to my knees when Rice's shot went in and the buzzer went off.
We were pre-gaming a night out at the bars. Everyone just went home after that.

Reaction Score
We have two titles Duke thinks belong to them. They think about us.
Are they upset about those games? Sure.

Do they think about us in term of a “rival”? Uh, no.

Nor do they think of Cuse as a rival, or FSU or Villanova or anyone else, other than UNC and maybe NC State and Maryland

Reaction Score
Cuse is UConn’s one and only true rival.

Than, a relatively stable group of Gtown, PC and Nova

Below that a rotating cast of dweebs and clowns
i agree with your second point. i'm more than happy competing for BET and regular season chips with those 3 teams.

but i'll ask again, how many years can we go without playing Cuse for them to still be considered a current rival?

we're at 3 years and counting... we need to play them at least 1x every 2 years at MSG in order to continue calling it a rivalry. i dont have much hope for that under Boeheim but maybe their next coach will be amenable to it.

Reaction Score
This is just so wrong. Georgetown was never really a rival. UMass was. BC really wasn't. PC is, always played us tough. Duke does belong. Pitt and St. Johns are too low.
You forgot those early - mid 90’s games
Morning
Mutumbo
Allen Iverson
Othella Harringto
Victor Paige

Reaction Score
i agree with your second point. i'm more than happy competing for BET and regular season chips with those 3 teams.

but i'll ask again, how many years can we go without playing Cuse for them to still be considered a current rival?

we're at 3 years and counting... we need to play them at least 1x every 2 years at MSG in order to continue calling it a rivalry. i dont have much hope for that under Boeheim but maybe their next coach will be amenable to it.

It’s more than just what happens on the court, that makes a rivalry.

In basketball, still, we compete for recruits.

Off the court, the schools compete for students and alum compete for jobs etc etc

Reaction Score
And please, people, stop saying Duke. Every school says Duke. I promise, Duke doesn’t think about us.
Duke men's basketball twitter put out a list of rivals a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure we were #2 after UNC.

Reaction Score
It’s more than just what happens on the court, that makes a rivalry.

In basketball, still, we compete for recruits.

Off the court, the schools compete for students and alum compete for jobs etc etc
but the preliminary requirement should be something actually happening on the court, otherwise UConns biggest rival should be UMass or something. also non-alum fans couldnt care less about that stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Duke men's basketball twitter put out a list of rivals a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure we were #2 after UNC.
pics or it didnt happen

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You forgot those early - mid 90’s games
Morning
Mutumbo
Allen Iverson
Othella Harringto
Victor Paige

I was at some of those games. They simply belong lower on the list. Never really hated them despite having competitive games.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Trying to put a methodology to this other than emotions, I looked at every season since the BE started in 1979 and calculated the records for each conference opponent, plus some blue bloods and UMass.

In looking at the data, I propose that for our purposes, a true rivalry is one where UConn has faced an opponent an average of about once a year, has a record vs. that opponent between .450-.550 (e.g. not one-sided), and has challenged or been challenged by said opponent for conference supremacy on more than one occasion.

I found five teams that meet that criteria.
Villanova
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
St. John's
Georgetown

As we no longer play two of those regularly, one of the remaining three totally sucks, and another is middling. I guess we have to land on Villanova as the current #1. We are 26-38 vs Nova since 1979, but it's skewed because Perno went 1-13 against them.

FTR, if they were still in conference, Pittsburgh would be the very definition of rival. In 54 games since 1979, the series stands 27-27, each with multiple conference titles and #1 seeds.

Reaction Score
I would just list:

1. Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown
2. PC, UMass, BC, Pitt
3. Louisville, Seton Hall, St Johns

There’s really no reason to list USF or any of those guys. I have trouble listing UMass and BC - that peaked in the 80s-early 2000s.
I would add Cinci to that list because of the history in both the BE and AAC. We’ve had many classic battles with them.

Reaction Score
pics or it didnt happen

To be fair to @7774 I remember this as well. But, I believe it was meant to be provocative and he was pretty thoroughly roasted by other Duke fans lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Add Miami into its own tier under the header: never getting over Darius Rice 3.

To me that was always Taliek's fault for not coming towards the inbounds pass instead of running away and losing Rice to steal it.

Reaction Score
but the preliminary requirement should be something actually happening on the court, otherwise UConns biggest rival should be UMass or something. also non-alum fans couldnt care less about that stuff.

That’s fair. I dunno, hard to explain. I’d say Texas-TAMU is a rivalry still despite not having played. Also, the UConn and Cuse fanbases certainly still trash talk etc. You’re telling me the fans aren’t rivals?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And please, people, stop saying Duke. Every school says Duke. I promise, Duke doesn’t think about us.
Not actually true in my experience. We’ve beaten them when it counts and it sticks in their crawl a bit. But Duke‘s rival is North Carolina.

Reaction Score
That’s fair. I dunno, hard to explain. I’d say Texas-TAMU is a rivalry still despite not having played. Also, the UConn and Cuse fanbases certainly still trash talk etc. You’re telling me the fans aren’t rivals?
also fair. i just think at a certain point, not having played in years, it's going to fizzle. with them being so bad it already has for me, and i hated them as much as anybody.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom