UConn rivals ranked by tiers | The Boneyard

UConn rivals ranked by tiers

Reaction Score
Agree? Disagree?

Have to add Miami in there, perhaps with Pitt, ND and WVU.
GTown should be under "if you were better"
I'd move Depaul and Butler to a new tier "Hey, we aren't in the AAC anymore, what are you doing here?"
UNC doesn't belong there.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Class needed for the obvious cheaters, who we don't like anyway: UNC, Arizona, Illinois, LSU, etc.

Could easily collapse PC and UMass for "teams that we have to hear about from long ago"

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Not sure we have any natural rivals at this point, but the Big East is about to change

Most of the Big East & Cuse

In the post season, UK & Dook, you know they hate us for destroying their destiny on multiple occasions. Of course, UNC and Louisville appreciate us for the very same reason(s)

Reaction Score
Put DePaul with X and Butler
Put Marquette with St. Johns and Seton Hall, and move that tier just after Duke and UK

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would just list:

1. Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown
2. PC, UMass, BC, Pitt
3. Louisville, Seton Hall, St Johns

There’s really no reason to list USF or any of those guys. I have trouble listing UMass and BC - that peaked in the 80s-early 2000s.

Reaction Score
I would just list:

1. Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown
2. PC, UMass, BC, Pitt
3. Louisville, Seton Hall, St Johns

There’s really no reason to list USF or any of those guys. I have trouble listing UMass and BC - that peaked in the 80s-early 2000s.
Agree, except you're missing Duke. I will always view Duke as a rival.

Reaction Score
Line 2-4 - Most of the old BE were great rivals because the conference was just so stacked and there were so many great battles
Line 9 - I'd move BCU, DePaul and Marquette to the "If you were better..." line
Line 3 - Out of conference includes Duke because it was our nemesis until we finally broke through. Ohio State because of the NIT and the 1999 final 4. UCLA. Gonzaga. Michigan State perhaps.
Line "UMASS" - UMass had a nice little run for a while.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting:

1645801946717.jpeg

Note that the second tier rivals in the third row are Big East teams.

I barely think of West Virginia as a Big East team, but it seems like those games were meaningful to them. I wonder how many other former old Big East teams would list former conference teams as their biggest or most meaningful rivals? That was just such a great conference. I’ll never forgive ESPN for screwing that up.o

You can make arguments for and against the move out of the American to the new Big East conference, but I’m so glad we made the move. It’s definitely not the old Big East conference, but the game is kind of feel the same way. I think that will only improve over time. For a lot of our current conference, after Villanova, we are the team they want to beat the most. That makes for great basketball.

As for the new teams, Xavier fans are big enough jerks that I may come to dislike them in time. Probably Creighton fans as well.

Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting:

View attachment 73747

Note that the second tier rivals in the third row are Big East teams.

I barely think of West Virginia as a Big East team, but it seems like those games were meaningful to them. I wonder how many other former old Big East teams would list former conference teams as their biggest or most meaningful rivals? That was just such a great conference. I’ll never forgive ESPN for screwing that up.o

You can make arguments for and against the move out of the American to the new Big East conference, but I’m so glad we made the move. It’s definitely not the old Big East conference, but the game is kind of feel the same way. I think that will only improve over time. For a lot of our current conference, after Villanova, we are the team they want to beat the most. That makes for great basketball.

As for the new teams, Xavier fans are big enough jerks that I may come to dislike them in time. Probably Creighton fans as well.
UCONN to the NBE is great for UCONN and the NBE. It will help the conference overall. Gtown and SJU need to get their ship together to become great programs again and that will help raise everyone's programs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
SMU kinda was a rival for a while there, but they really had our number.
So did Kelvin Sampson. And even with the 0-3 Q1 record, I'd prefer to not meet them in March.

I think some are disregarding the 90s. From '86 through the first NC, G'town was the only team to have a winning record vs Calhoun, although Johnnies, Cuse and Pitt were close to .500.

Of course in that same time period, UConn was 24-3 vs BC, lol.

Reaction Score
Pitt much higher certainly well above the BC tier.

Cincy is a BE rival and we've had great games. I'd put them above the BC tier too

Reaction Score
UMass was our primary rival pre-Calhoun. Before that it was URI.

Reaction Score
we cant have 20 rivals...

for me it's easily #1 Nova followed by #2 PC. i'd love Gtown to work its way up to #2 eventually.

i believe Gtown passed us last year for most BET chips

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is just so wrong. Georgetown was never really a rival. UMass was. BC really wasn't. PC is, always played us tough. Duke does belong. Pitt and St. Johns are too low.
Depends on how you define rival. If you were using competitiveness for basketball, not a rivalry. If you were using competitiveness for football, also not a rivalry. If you are using hatred between the fanbases, oh yeah they are a rival.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom