OT: - UConn requiring students vaccinated for Fall 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn requiring students vaccinated for Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
This is a touchy subject for me. I believe in the vaccine, but I don’t think anyone should be forced into it. This whole thing is scary, COVID, the forcing of people to put something into their bodies that they may not want to or their ousted by society and where this all could lead to in the future. I’ve just got a really bad feeling about it all.
Nobody is being forced into it.

Reaction Score
My concern is long term adverse effects of dozens of vaccines. 1 polio shot in a lifetime seems safe to me, 24 flu shots does not, and now the Covid vaccine seems destined to become a yearly thing. Not a fan of vaccines that must be taken over and over again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a reasonable general policy for the safety of students and university personnel.

However, if you already have recovered from Covid or test positive for Covid anti-bodies, the science says you are as safe as anyone who has been vaccinated. There should be be an exception for these two classes of students. Science should matter at a university.

Reaction Score
My concern is long term adverse effects of dozens of vaccines. 1 polio shot in a lifetime seems safe to me, 24 flu shots does not, and now the Covid vaccine seems destined to become a yearly thing. Not a fan of vaccines that must be taken over and over again.

Are you an MD? Because if not, your opinion is worthless. Trust scientists. That should be the end of this discussion.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score

Attachments

• FBD8EECC-538A-4B42-BA3E-C23F0D8836DF.jpeg
    FBD8EECC-538A-4B42-BA3E-C23F0D8836DF.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 126
Reaction Score
Right, trust the people who in March of 2020 said do not wear a mask because they don't work and might make things worse only to flip flop one month later.

and BTW saying opinions don't matter is like saying freedom doesn't matter, i'm entitled to an opinion like everyone else.

You are entitled to an opinion. You also have freedom. The freedom to be an idiot is well established. I'm also entitled to say you are stupid. See how that works?

It wasn't the same people saying don't wear a mask moron. "Science" is not the same 3 people making decisions for every single field across the planet. And you don't think with a year more research studies available, we don't have a better understanding of what does and does not work to defeat a virus?

People who study viruses for a living unequivocally say that getting a vaccine is the right call. Trust them, not Hannity.

Putting you ignore now. I don't have time for anti-intellectual idiocy anymore. Have a good one.

Reaction Score
This is a touchy subject for me. I believe in the vaccine, but I don’t think anyone should be forced into it. This whole thing is scary, COVID, the forcing of people to put something into their bodies that they may not want to or their ousted by society and where this all could lead to in the future. I’ve just got a really bad feeling about it all.
Nobody is forced to do anything. Anybody who chooses not to be vaccinated is completely free to do that. They can’t go to UConn. They can’t go to Yale or Harvard or Norte Dame but there are many universities who will accept them. It is a choice and choices have consequences, good and bad. Attending UConn is not some kind of right. You need to apply. You need to be accepted. You need to pay your tuition bill. You need to comply with a myriad of rules and regulations while enrolled. You don’t want to get vaccinate, don’t get vaccinated. And accept the consequences of your decision. One is you might get a life threatening disease another might be you can’t get a job with certain companies, and another is you can’t attend certain colleges and universities.

Reaction Score
Nobody is forced to do anything. Anybody who chooses not to be vaccinated is completely free to do that. They can’t go to UConn. They can’t go to Yale or Harvard or Norte Dame but there are many universities who will accept them. It is a choice and choices have consequences, good and bad. Attending UConn is not some kind of right. You need to apply. You need to be accepted. You need to pay your tuition bill. You need to comply with a myriad of rules and regulations while enrolled. You don’t want to get vaccinate, don’t get vaccinated. And accept the consequences of your decision. One is you might get a life threatening disease another might be you can’t get a job with certain companies, and another is you can’t attend certain colleges and universities.
Yes not yet, but if you read my post, I said I don’t like where this is going. We just don’t know how far they are going to take it. If they say you can’t go anywhere unless you are vaxed, then that is being forced. Just so everyone understands, I too want things back to normal and everyone safe, but as one poster said, we are putting a rushed product into our bodies that who knows, may have consequences down the line, we just don’t know. I spoke to my Doctor and he said the same thing happened with the polio vax being rushed out and that was a good thing according to him, so he trusts this and he’s a pal of Fauci’s and almost threw me out of his office Thursday when we had this convo.

Reaction Score
This is tame compared to how they handled rolling out the small pox vaccine. People were ripped from their homes and held at gun point while they vaccinated them. And scientists didn’t have nearly the same level of knowledge about safety of the vaccine then that they do today.

I can’t wait for life to be back to normal again. The more schools/businesses/etc. that require it the better.

Reaction Score
Right, trust the people who in March of 2020 said do not wear a mask because they don't work and might make things worse only to flip flop one month later.

and BTW saying opinions don't matter is like saying freedom doesn't matter, i'm entitled to an opinion like everyone else.
You do know that this was a new virus. Nobody quite understood it in March 2020. It took several months just to understand how it was transmitted. Some early reports Suggested it spread more easily through contact than through aerosol. Now we know those were wrong. But considering nobody knew what they were dealing with then, it didn’t take long to get better information, and give better advice. Now we don’t wipe groceries down. But we do, or until recently, did, wear masks at the grocery store. We didn’t have a workable vaccine, now we do. it isn’t dangerous, it is effective. You don’t want to get it, that is fine, but man up and accept the consequences of your decision. A huge problem now is people want choice but want it without any consequences.

Reaction Score
Not according to A.) The NY Times, and B.) conventional wisdom from what we’ve seen throughout history with 95% of other vaccines

What an UNBELIEVABLY bad-faith comment.

Literally the screenshot you posted, in the paragraph below what you pasted, refutes your exact point. Meaning that you read it, but you chose to just crop it out and lie here on the board. What kind of lying liar does that? Here's the article so everyone can see what a lying bad faith liar you are. So tired of you people after a year of a global pandemic that has killed 600,000 Americans, including many friends and relatives of those on this very board. If you traffic in lies about that serious of a topic, you are a bad person. Period.

Here's the article this clown quotes so the board can judge him for yourself: ‘Natural Immunity’ From Covid Is Not Safer Than a Vaccine

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 2.54.35 PM.png

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Except the tax payer is forced to support the university. Agree 100% with everything you said if it is a private university similar to Yale Harvard or Notre Dame like you referenced

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
What an UNBELIEVABLY bad-faith comment.

Literally the screenshot you posted, in the paragraph below what you pasted, refutes your exact point. Meaning that you read it, but you chose to just crop it out and lie here on the board. What kind of lying liar does that? Here's the article so everyone can see what a lying bad faith liar you are. So tired of you people after a year of a global pandemic that has killed 600,000 Americans, including many friends and relatives of those on this very board. If you traffic in lies about that serious of a topic, you are a bad person. Period.

Here's the article this clown quotes so the board can judge him for yourself: ‘Natural Immunity’ From Covid Is Not Safer Than a Vaccine

View attachment 67847

and the two paragraphs below that refute your point... why did you cut those out? Does that make you a “lying liar” ???

the nytimes gave one example paragraph of counter evidence and two paragraphs of support. Which lead to their conclusion of “we don’t know”

why is quoting their conclusion bad faith? It seems like the only person operating in bad faith is the one calling me a bad person for providing something they disagree with

Attachments

• 6E524C69-5C66-43DD-83EC-C7A9329B859A.jpeg
    6E524C69-5C66-43DD-83EC-C7A9329B859A.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 132
Reaction Score
But it’s better than nothing and lessens the risk.
Much of public health is weighing the positives vs. the societal costs. The flu vaccine being less effective and the flu itself being less deadly makes the cost a bit harder and toughens the pushback. However, the longer track record of safety offsets some of the concerns. In the end, we get to the highly encouraged (especially for children and elderly), but optional equilibrium. For COVID, the strength of the vaccines and the worse mortality rates overall make the pill an easier swallow for more of the population and an ability for institutions to create these stricter policies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Much of public health is weighing the positives vs. the societal costs. The flu vaccine being less effective and the flu itself being less deadly makes the cost a bit harder and toughens the pushback. However, the longer track record of safety offsets some of the concerns. In the end, we get to the highly encouraged (especially for children and elderly), but optional equilibrium.
Ok so in essence if the flu kills like 50k in a bad year, a vaccine is out there to cut that number to like 10k then those lives don’t matter. LOTS of older folks go to UConn games. If you are requiring one vaccine you require them all and proof to show you got them. If you can stop people from dying with a vaccine then why wouldn’t you require it? As others have said in this thread, you don’t HAVE to get it, you just can’t do certain things

Reaction Score
Ok so in essence if the flu kills like 50k in a bad year, a vaccine is out there to cut that number to like 10k then those lives don’t matter. LOTS of older folks go to UConn games. If you are requiring one vaccine you require them all and proof to show you got them. If you can stop people from dying with a vaccine then why wouldn’t you require it? As others have said in this thread, you don’t HAVE to get it, you just can’t do certain things
Correct. The lives matter less to enough people. I edited in more, but I agree with you for the record. Just telling it like it is. 40k is 0.01% of the population. 500k is 1% and now we can get people's attention and effort.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something? Why are the same people complaining about the Covid vaccine being required suggesting the flu vaccine should? Am I supposed to believe if that happens they'd suddenly put their anti-vax arguments away and get it?

Reaction Score
and it will also take a while, probably many years to fully understand the long term risks of vaccines.
mRNA vaccines have been tested for around two decades. Scientists know the long term health implications of them. They’re safe. They haven’t been used before because they didn’t work against their targeted virus, but they are safe. There are people walking around that have had various mRNA vaccines in them for 10 years.

Reaction Score
Correct. The lives matter less to enough people. I edited in more, but I agree with you for the record. Just telling it like it is. 40k is 0.01% of the population. 500k is 1% and now we can get people's attention and effort.
Ok so appears we are generally on the same page. I guess this virus would be a way to implement stricter policies as you said to include proof of various vaccines for diseases in order to go to games (in this instance) or concerts or whatever.

Reaction Score
and the two paragraphs below that refute your point... why did you cut those out? Does that make you a “lying liar” ???

the nytimes gave one example paragraph of counter evidence and two paragraphs of support. Which lead to their conclusion of “we don’t know”

why is quoting their conclusion bad faith? It seems like the only person operating in bad faith is the one calling me a bad person for providing something they disagree with

Not playing this game with a liar. You won't gaslight me with your garbage. You are going on ignore, and idiots like you are making this board more and more unreadable by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom