OT: - UConn requiring students vaccinated for Fall 2021 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn requiring students vaccinated for Fall 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They already require a bunch of other vaccines anyways so it’s really not even possible for an “anti-vaxxer” to be enrolled in the first place. Although how would UConn even be able to check this? My own doctor/insurance doesn’t even know that I got the vaccine. The only proof I have is that paper card which I probably already lost lol

Reaction Score
They already require a bunch of other vaccines anyways so it’s really not even possible for an “anti-vaxxer” to be enrolled in the first place. Although how would UConn even be able to check this? My own doctor/insurance doesn’t even know that I got the vaccine. The only proof I have is that paper card which I probably already lost lol
For students should work the same as with other standard vaccines required to attend UConn: provide the paperwork from the healthcare provider that administered the vaccine.

Sporting events should be something similar, probably follow something similar to what MSG is doing.

Reaction Score
To get the NY State Excelsior pass all I had to do was enter my name, zip code and phone number and they had my vaccination info. UConn has all that info for students so seems easy enough for them to see if someone is

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Shouldn’t be an issue but we all know there will be threats of lawsuits and claims of discrimination in any manner.......
Just wait

Reaction Score
Have to think this will be the policy at a minimum to attend events at XL and Gampel but probably the Rent, too.

Interesting if they do this at XL and Gampel with the $$ and forever seats and all that. Wonder if we will get to move down closer when like 30% of people don’t go or get bounced around?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Shouldn’t be an issue but we all know there will be threats of lawsuits and claims of discrimination in any manner.......
Just wait

The lawsuits and challenges will hinge on the vaccine still being authorized under emergency provisions vice full approval.

From what I have read this authority of FDA to grant EUA hasn't been tested in courts and there are conflicts ting opinions between a person not being forced to take the vaccination against language that says not taking the vaccination may carry "consequences". There isn't much out there determining if consequences means medical/health consequences or societal consequences- such as no in person schooling without the vaccine.

Both Pfizer and Moderna are right at the six month mark of being approved for EUA and have already requested full approval, or if I've read it correctly, a BLA- Biological License Application.

Out of the three Pfizer, Moderna and J&J, Pfizer seems most likely to be approved prior to full school year starting making the EUA argument moot. Pfizer hasn't had nearly as many severe reactions as Moderna at the injection site and doesn't have any blood clot issues like J&J has had on females.

Reaction Score
Interesting, right call, IMO.

At a much smaller level, one idea my school is pitching is cohorting 7th-8th separately from the 5th-6th grade. With that, vaccinated students in 7th & 8th grade will be allowed to go to school w/o masks but unvaccinated students are encouraged/required to have masks. Same can be said for teachers. All students under the age of 12, including their teachers, are encouraged/equired to wear masks.

Not saying this is what is going to happen, as our school and all other schools in the area will probably follow the same guidelines, that's just one idea floating around.

Reaction Score
Also wonder if they will require regular flu vaccine too since they may require the Covid one to attend games. Obviously the regular flu has caused way way less death but I think tens of thousands of Americans have died in bad flu years and there is an annual vaccine. Why not require that as well since it can spread easily and a vaccine is out there. Do those lives not matter?

Reaction Score
Right call. They have a vaccine that is safe and effective. Many businesses are now requiring it And while my company doesn’t require it yet, it likely will if the few holdouts continue to holdout. We also require it as of July 1 for any contractors on our projects. They need to submit copies of vax cards for each worker. Yale has a similar policy I know.

Reaction Score
This is a touchy subject for me. I believe in the vaccine, but I don’t think anyone should be forced into it. This whole thing is scary, COVID, the forcing of people to put something into their bodies that they may not want to or their ousted by society and where this all could lead to in the future. I’ve just got a really bad feeling about it all.

Reaction Score
You do realize UConn already requires other vaccines right? This isn't a big stretch.

Also, antivaxxers are idiots. Congrats on reading 1984 and misunderstanding it though. I, too, took English class my sophomore year of his school.
I got the vaccine but there is a big difference between requiring vaccines that have been thoroughly used and tested for decades vs one that was developed a year ago. Why not require the flu vaccine every year too? I remember getting the flu during finals week my freshman year in Storrs. It was probably the sickest I’ve ever been. Had a 104 fever while taking exams lol, not great. Since then I’ve been getting the flu vaccine

Reaction Score
I got the vaccine but there is a big difference between requiring vaccines that have been thoroughly used and tested for decades vs one that was developed a year ago. Why not require the flu vaccine every year too? I remember getting the flu during finals week my freshman year in Storrs. It was probably the sickest I’ve ever been. Had a 104 fever while taking exams lol, not great. Since then I’ve been getting the flu vaccine
Agree. And since the seasonal flu normally affects kids and older folks (large percentage of women’s hoops crowd) in terms of deaths, they should also require that vaccine too right? In rough flu years you have 40k to 60k Americans die unnecessarily if everyone was vaxed but less than half the population ever gets it.

Reaction Score
I was never "anti-vax" but more like "vax lax" until I had my last bout of the flu about six years ago.

Didn't pack a punch like most flus, but I had like a 101 and aches for six straight days. Would have liked to have taken sick days the whole time, but didn't have enough, even coached a few games in the mix, was pretty rough.

Since then, I get it for free at school, so it's a no brainer for me now, especially since I spend my day with hundreds of kids, most of which, due to having paid staff at home clean for themselves, have no idea how to keep themselves and their environment clean. On the other hand, the international kids (regardless of family income) or the American scholarship kids (regardless of race) possess the basic respect and responsibilities of cleanliness that a middle schooler should.

[stepping off soap box].

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This is a touchy subject for me. I believe in the vaccine, but I don’t think anyone should be forced into it. This whole thing is scary, COVID, the forcing of people to put something into their bodies that they may not want to or their ousted by society and where this all could lead to in the future. I’ve just got a really bad feeling about it all.
No ones forced into anything. You don’t have to get it. You just don’t get to participate in things that require it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom