"UCONN reminds UCLA who's No. 1.." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"UCONN reminds UCLA who's No. 1.."

Reaction Score
People are going to have to be patient with Camara. Some are saying that when she heals she will be one of the first off the bench. When she was healthy Geno said she had a lot of work to do. Now that she is missing so many practices she will be even further behind. Look at how Stephens is struggling and she has been practicing and playing. Camara may be ready by conference time but don't be surprised if she struggles at first. I think it is a mistake to think she will make an immediate impact.
I would not be surprised to see UCONN red-shirt Camara, if that can still be done. We really know nothing about her health or progress , but she is missing a lot of practice, conditioning, and playing. And she will not be the first off the bench. With Lou healthy ( another big "if"), Azura is first off the bench and then Megan. The more Megan shines, the higher she rises.

Lou worries us because this is the same foot that cost her the end of their NCAA run two year's ago, and much off that off-season. If this is Lis Franc again, she could be done until mid -February. I was at the UCLA game and saw her struggling around in the boot. She did not look comfortable at all. Although her smiles did light up the bench a few times, and that is a good sign.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see UCONN red-shirt Camara, if that can still be done. We really know nothing about her health or progress , but she is missing a lot of practice, conditioning, and playing. And she will not be the first off the bench. With Lou healthy ( another big "if"), Azura is first off the bench and then Megan. The more Megan shines, the higher she rises.

Lou worries us because this is the same foot that cost her the end of their NCAA run two year's ago, and much off that off-season. If this is Lis Franc again, she could be done until mid -February. I was at the UCLA game and saw her struggling around in the boot. She did not look comfortable at all. Although her smiles did light up the bench a few times, and that is a good sign.

Longtime fan- - -vs MD and UCLA Batouly Camara was in uniform & warmed up with the team seemingly doing everything "the healthy players" were doing so it was said previously that BC was 2+ weeks away from starting practice , she may be closer to playing than anyone thought which would give a huge boost under and around the basket for UCONN!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In my opinion, if a player misses roughly the first half of a season, it pays to consider a possible red-shirt for the full season to preserve a full year of eligibility. We aren’t there with Batouly yet. I hope to see her on the court by mid-Dec.

Reaction Score
If Gabby can stay out of foul trouble and Katie Lou is healthy, combined with synthesizing all the new players, including Camara, who has yet to play, if we play them in the tournament, the game wouldn't be any closer than last night's game.

Foul trouble is the bane of Uconn, semi short bench. Gabby plays among the trees, always at a disadvantage. Then too, she is a defender extraordinaire her hands are moving, she makes move REFS anticipate ARE foul, but are not, she is extremely quick, fast, agile--unique in every way--REFS have a hard time wrapping their brains around what she does--legally--so they take the easy road, when the opposing coaches complain--and call fouls on GABBY.
Do you want her to change?? Not me. I hope all these words I'm reading about how much Touly will help the team are true. Amalgamating of this team with the new kids will probably happen next year. Another Frosh (I think AEH) may break through this year with effective, if limited, PT.

Reaction Score
HoopsFan21- - - -IMO Geno could have been saying the refs are lousy nation-wise but especially bad on the west coast!
The UCLA game--the Refs , all, lost their contacts--made too many non-call, calls. Z and Gabby got more of those non calls/iffy calls. But a true-ism is that in different conferences the game is called differently--terrible in every way--how can coaches or player prepare for that??
I would have like to have heard what Geno said to Christine in the game or in the locker room about the REFS. If he wasn't so far ahead, --technical for sure.

Reaction Score

Good, intelligent post, thoughtful--I like your words on Megan, she earned them. She won't be perfect--she's a frosh, but we saw the REAL Meg at UCLA courage, fearless.
We all worry about Lou--she is the heart and soul, defensive and offensive threat, how rare is that? The boot, by design , limits her movement and is heavy. It immobilizes her lower extremity by design. So if she looks inhibited or uncomfortable it's because she is, by design.
I for one who has lived thru what nature brought back to haunt me from old injuries--would rather see Katie Lou never play BB again--rather than be crippled as an older woman--

Reaction Score
Lou can also red shirt right?
A medical hardship is only granted if the player CAN’T play for 2/3 of the season. It’s not something you can just decide to do. The only decision is whether to apply for it.

Because she has already played in a game, Lou can’t do a non-health-related redshirt (thankfully - then we’d have the whole, “Will she stay her final year or go #1 in the WNBA draft?” Discussion in a couple years).

Reaction Score
Ranked fifth in the country, UCLA is near the top of the “everyone else” category, but the figurative distance between the Bruins and top-ranked Huskies remains greater than the 4,000 miles that separates the two schools.

Somebody could use a geography and/or maths lesson. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I for one who has lived thru what nature brought back to haunt me from old injuries--would rather see Katie Lou never play BB again--rather than be crippled as an older woman--
GP. After playing football through college, I’ve had a number of surgeries to deal with the various problems that resulted from years of abusing my body and still deal with various aches and pains that are as familiar as a visit from your least favorite inlaws. But the truth is, knowing the physical problems you have to deal with, I wouldn’t give up a minute of the time I was able to play the game.

Reaction Score
The UCLA game--the Refs , all, lost their contacts--made too many non-call, calls. Z and Gabby got more of those non calls/iffy calls. But a true-ism is that in different conferences the game is called differently--terrible in every way--how can coaches or player prepare for that??
I would have like to have heard what Geno said to Christine in the game or in the locker room about the REFS. If he wasn't so far ahead, --technical for sure.

Both Gabby and Z reacted to foul calls the same way, not trying to cover mistakes but real amazement, signaling something was wrong in the officiating.

Reaction Score
GP. After playing football through college, I’ve had a number of surgeries to deal with the various problems that resulted from years of abusing my body and still deal with various aches and pains that are as familiar as a visit from your least favorite inlaws. But the truth is, knowing the physical problems you have to deal with, I wouldn’t give up a minute of the time I was able to play the game.
The truth of older age, no one tells you: Every bump, contact, break returns in some manner to cause an ache. I was speaking to some of the crippling effects from long term hard pounding of the legs, knees, hips, the falls (concussions), falls that unknowingly damage the spine. I played 3 sports, and some of pains come from them, but most have another source. However, I'd be a very unhappy camper if I one day saw one of these fine ladies living with pain. Each is almost as the person I love, I'm protective. I'm not cheating on my wife, she knows how I feel about all these young ladies going back 30 year or so. Unlike Jimmy Carter, I don't lust in my heart, I admire in my head.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Played 3 sports in junior high and high school - football, basketball and track. The effects of the pounding, especially football, my body took has manifested itself in several surgeries - 2 on each knee for openers. My career, band director for almost 40 years, has taken its toll too. Rotator cuff surgeries on the shoulders. And all my construction work early on plus playing trumpet and guitar had me have carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists at the same time. Then played Easter masses 2 days later. But like oldude I wouldn't trade any of it. There was an adrenaline flowing for each game, each meet, each concert that takes you beyond any pain. Besides, when we were young, we all knew we were invincible.

Reaction Score
Good to great team, very very good coaching, executions were excellent--had they played 40 minutes as they played in the last 5--closer game. .
You mean, garbage time ??!?! Not relevant. The true nature of bother teams was evident in the first 35 min, not the desperation of the last 5 min when the game was already long since over

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The truth of older age, no one tells you: Every bump, contact, break returns in some manner to cause an ache. I was speaking to some of the crippling effects from long term hard pounding of the legs, knees, hips, the falls (concussions), falls that unknowingly damage the spine. I played 3 sports, and some of pains come from them, but most have another source. However, I'd be a very unhappy camper if I one day saw one of these fine ladies living with pain. Each is almost as the person I love, I'm protective. I'm not cheating on my wife, she knows how I feel about all these young ladies going back 30 year or so. Unlike Jimmy Carter, I don't lust in my heart, I admire in my head.
Broadway, the injuries you sustain playing sports indeed come back to haunt you. But you want to know why most who played wouldn't trade one minute of it? It's because of the friendships, the relationships, the shared joys and hardships. It's those moments of connected intimacies that have no equal. It's those memories that are valued. I wouldn't take any of it away from Lou or anyone else that wants to continue competing, even when they are far past their prime.

Reaction Score
Broadway, the injuries you sustain playing sports indeed come back to haunt you. But you want to know why most who played wouldn't trade one minute of it? It's because of the friendships, the relationships, the shared joys and hardships. It's those moments of connected intimacies that have no equal. It's those memories that are valued. I wouldn't take any of it away from Lou or anyone else that wants to continue competing, even when they are far past their prime.
In addition to the interpersonal relationships formed, sports participation is also about the knowledge of self that's acquired. The knowing that you put yourself out there and competed that helps you know where you excelled and where more effort was needed. How did you rise to the occasion and where you can improve.

Reaction Score
Broadway, the injuries you sustain playing sports indeed come back to haunt you. But you want to know why most who played wouldn't trade one minute of it? It's because of the friendships, the relationships, the shared joys and hardships. It's those moments of connected intimacies that have no equal. It's those memories that are valued. I wouldn't take any of it away from Lou or anyone else that

You and @oldude are correct of course. Katie Lou, if her career goes no further has built up memories only a handful ever have. I like all these kids and I don't want to think of them having life long issues--just to make ME feel good. My injuries from sports are minimal--my others not so. \
Before I leave this--I do wish Lou speedy recovery and full recovery. Also, I would want an informed Lou to make all of her own choices what ever that may me, basketball and life.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But clearly if it is Lisfranc it is the kind that doesn't require surgery, that would have already occurred. Also clearly Lou is weeks away from lacing them up, even for practice. I said end of January and I'm sticking to it.

Reaction Score
You mean, garbage time ??!?! Not relevant. The true nature of bother teams was evident in the first 35 min, not the desperation of the last 5 min when the game was already long since over

I have no idea what you are saying in this posting. If you are referring to the Mich game as Garbage Time--I can't be that arrogant, I don't know when I referred to the last 5 of 35 minutes. Give more data so I know what I may have said or what my comment should be,

Reaction Score
But clearly if it is Lisfranc it is the kind that doesn't require surgery, that would have already occurred. Also clearly Lou is weeks away from lacing them up, even for practice. I said end of January and I'm sticking to it.
I was pretty sure no surgery, at least for the present, or she would not be hopping around in a boot. Thanks Whewwwwwww!

Reaction Score
Longtime fan- - -vs MD and UCLA Batouly Camara was in uniform & warmed up with the team seemingly doing everything "the healthy players" were doing so it was said previously that BC was 2+ weeks away from starting practice , she may be closer to playing than anyone thought which would give a huge boost under and around the basket for UCONN!
Thanks RSERM---nice information. If she is all that has been reported, and works out of her injuries. she could be the 8th in the starting line up. I was hoping Mykala or Alexi would make the magical jump into spots 8, 9...it may happen with Molly, Irwin (which appears unlikely)

Reaction Score
In my opinion, if a player misses roughly the first half of a season, it pays to consider a possible red-shirt for the full season to preservIe a full year of eligibility. We aren’t there with Batouly yet. I hope to see her on the court by mid-Dec.

If RSHERM is correct and knowing him, I know he is, then Touly is practicing and probably ready for some clean up time. With the season to last near 36 games --we have over 10 to go before we are at HALF season. But should she sit for 5 more games or more--I would agree with your observation. With the RS time and injury time--the usually end result is to sit more and play, maybe next year. Hope that is not the fate of Touly.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In my opinion, if a player misses roughly the first half of a season, it pays to consider a possible red-shirt for the full season to preserve a full year of eligibility. We aren’t there with Batouly yet. I hope to see her on the court by mid-Dec.
But the problem is that Batouly already sat out a year as a transfer, which means she's already up against her five-year eligibility window. This is the issue that South Carolina is facing with Te'a Cooper, for example.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But the problem is that Batouly already sat out a year as a transfer, which means she's already up against her five-year eligibility window. This is the issue that South Carolina is facing with Te'a Cooper, for example.
You can petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility, but that is always applied only in the case of a catastrophic, season ending injury, which is clearly not the case with Batouly.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You can petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility, but that is always applied only in the case of a catastrophic, season ending injury, which is clearly not the case with Batouly.

Yes, but it's my understanding that the 6th year is harder to get when one of the lost years was due to transfer, which the NCAA views as a self-inflicted loss.

I could be wrong, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom