"UCONN reminds UCLA who's No. 1.." | The Boneyard

"UCONN reminds UCLA who's No. 1.."

Reaction Score
Out of their league: UConn reminds No. 5 UCLA who's No. 1

"Out of their league: UConn reminds No. 5 UCLA who's No. 1"

Great win for Uconn, but certainly not out of UCLA's league. Good to great team, very very good coaching, executions were excellent--had they played 40 minutes as they played in the last 5--closer game. Uconn's conditioning showed big time. UCLA subbed regularly, UConn not so much--but more than usual in a big game. To not recognized how good UCLA is --is to say this wasn't a big/good win for UConn and it was.

Reaction Score
UCLA women hope to learn from loss to No. 1 UConn – Daily News

“This teaches what excellence is,” Canada said. “And that’s UConn.”
Canada, not to push my pre game hype of Danger, is the realest of the deal. This comment proves she has CLASS. Uconn kept her in check, mostly, up to the half--I'd have said Danger won the head to head. But Canada came alive when her team demanded that of her. That's what champions do. Kudo's kid kudo's

Reaction Score
No. 1 UConn women rout No. 5 UCLA

"Without Gabby in the game in the first half (due to foul trouble), that was tough because now we have Z (Stevens) and Megan and they are - to say the least - defensively challenged," Auriemma said. "We were trying to figure out what the easiest thing we could do was the simpliest thing that we could do so we tried to keep it very simple. I could tell we had them thinking a little bit because they slowed down and weren't in any kind of flow. You could see that they were struggling to find where their offense were going to come from. I thought our guys were great defensively, they were just great."

Reaction Score
No. 1 UConn routs No. 5 UCLA 78-60 for 39th road win in row

''That's the biggest thing that came out of this game,'' Huskies coach Geno Auriemma said. ''We got Pheesa going without Lou.''

...and about Megan:
''Today we found another player who can help us,'' Auriemma said. ''Toughest game in the toughest environment and she played her best game.''

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That article also said that Lou is no longer using crutches. This was the third game against Pac-12 teams and UConn has won those 3 games by an average of 26 points. Also interesting to hear Geno mention the officiating. Says it's different on the west coast compared to other parts of the country whatever that means.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Being in somebody else's home and having the crowd come at you, it is kind of fun to go on scoring runs and stop the crowd, so it was really fun," Collier said"

We were talking about why UConn players come to UConn. Here is on of the factors.

Reaction Score
It's always nice to see a leading news organization in enemy territory publish an article like this.

Our team is nationally recognized as the cream of the crop. Loved the Secretariat reference. :cool:

LA Times is my hometown newspaper. My Hartford Courant equiv.!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes Crystal won the matchup but she did not bottle up Canada on her own. Incredible positional team defense in the half court as well as some of the best transition defense I have ever seen helped.

Reaction Score
What's missing from some of these game analyses is the fact that UConn traveled either 3,000, 4,000, or 5,000 miles (all mentioned on the BY) with little rest and no time to recover from jet lag. They played in an extremely hostile environment against a team in whose head danced visions of sugar plums after defeating Baylor. No KLS, their best pure shooter. Yet they dominated UCLA as they have everyone else, showing no mercy (except in their usual 4th qtr. swoon). For me, Meg's 3 3-pointers in the 1st half when Gabby was being a bit too exuberant stood out. I was gobsmacked by the confident and no-hesitation shots the next great Husky put up. Pheesa's retooling, looking just like the 2016-17 model, made me jump around the room (terrifying my pets; my wife slept soundly upstairs) with joy. Gabs was great, Danger was the incarnation of MoJet. Z didn't seem to make much impact, but she did clog the lane and take down some rebounds. Kia was the real Canada, ferocious and tireless. On the whole a typical UConn beat-down: edge ahead, increase the lead, put on a death-spurt, and forget that the game has a final quarter. BUT tired as they must have been and the stress they must have faced, makes me all too willing to cut them slack for the thud at the end.

Reaction Score
Great win for Uconn, but certainly not out of UCLA's league. Good to great team, very very good coaching, executions were excellent--had they played 40 minutes as they played in the last 5--closer game. Uconn's conditioning showed big time. UCLA subbed regularly, UConn not so much--but more than usual in a big game. To not recognized how good UCLA is --is to say this wasn't a big/good win for UConn and it was.
Upon only played 6 . Walker subbed for both Azura and Gabby when they got into foul trouble. She logged a lot of minutes, as a result. Three UCONN starters ( Kia, Crystal and Collier logged all 40 minutes, I think. UCLA did play better in last few minutes but I think some of the UCONN players were spent ( 3 games in 5 days, cross country travel, time change, etc ) by then. All in all, a good game for UCONN with many teaching experiences. Geno was working hard on the bench, at the breaks, and with individual counseling.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Upon only played 6 . Walker subbed for both Azura and Gabby when they got into foul trouble. She logged a lot of minutes, as a result. Three UCONN starters ( Kia, Crystal and Collier logged all 40 minutes, I think. UCLA did play better in last few minutes but I think some of the UCONN players were spent ( 3 games in 5 days, cross country travel, time change, etc ) by then. All in all, a good game for UCONN with many teaching experiences. Geno was working hard on the bench, at the breaks, and with individual counseling.

He did not want to lose or have his players play a sub-par came at Pauley Pavillion.

Reaction Score
With out a doubt---they were "spent" physically and mentally in the last 5 minutes of the game, 4 games in a row, travelling 3000 miles , hotels, not really setting and resting--hard to relax on the road. I'm so thrilled for me and for their execution and then the big W from a final 4 team. Whoopeee!

Reaction Score
See 2:57 4th Quarter to verify that fact!

Mucho gracias! Where is the naysayer now? Again, I can puff up Danger or Megan, because I think they deserve it.\But I love the game and I love the kids that play it and J. Canada plays the game with gusto, guts, talent, and intellect--the only thing that would make her better would be ---to be\
A HUSKY.

Reaction Score
If Gabby can stay out of foul trouble and Katie Lou is healthy, combined with synthesizing all the new players, including Camara, who has yet to play, if we play them in the tournament, the game wouldn't be any closer than last night's game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
People are going to have to be patient with Camara. Some are saying that when she heals she will be one of the first off the bench. When she was healthy Geno said she had a lot of work to do. Now that she is missing so many practices she will be even further behind. Look at how Stephens is struggling and she has been practicing and playing. Camara may be ready by conference time but don't be surprised if she struggles at first. I think it is a mistake to think she will make an immediate impact.

Reaction Score
People are going to have to be patient with Camara. Some are saying that when she heals she will be one of the first off the bench. When she was healthy Geno said she had a lot of work to do. Now that she is missing so many practices she will be even further behind. Look at how Stephens is struggling and she has been practicing and playing. Camara may be ready by conference time but don't be surprised if she struggles at first. I think it is a mistake to think she will make an immediate impact.
Yeah I agree with this. In UConn land if you have a set back early on you're screwed because there are so many other talented players around you that will be advancing so quickly that you have no chance of catching up. It often has sad outcomes (transfers), but competition is tough.

Reaction Score
That article also said that Lou is no longer using crutches. This was the third game against Pac-12 teams and UConn has won those 3 games by an average of 26 points. Also interesting to hear Geno mention the officiating. Says it's different on the west coast compared to other parts of the country whatever that means.

HoopsFan21- - - -IMO Geno could have been saying the refs are lousy nation-wise but especially bad on the west coast!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom