UConn recruiting Speculation, part 3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting Speculation, part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do we know that? I don’t remember her being mentioned
Tilda was followed on social media by Morgan Valley. She didn’t have an offer from Uconn that we knew of, but thought there might be some interest from UConn because of the follow from MV.

Reaction Score

I think more so out of anyone else from 2026, I want Olivia Vukosa to come to UConn most. Not only is she extremely talented for just a sophomore, but I just see so much room for growth. Because she has so much growth potential, I can see her easily become the most sought after recruit in the 26’ class. What have you all saw that were her strengths or weaknesses so far?

The "BIG O" was a force at the FIMA 2023 EURO Tournament this past summer for Croatia. The Films of
complete games are on the FIBA webpage. Just click on CROATIA and pick your choice of games. Or
Click on STATS / individual and then Olivia Vukosa. The Stat numbers will impress you. Strengths are
SCORING and REBOUNDING (see films and stats, best in the tournament if I remember correctly).
She can it the "three" and runs the floor very well for a big (IMO). Her strength ( IMO, again ) is
her "attitude" in the paint. She is one determined FORCE. Check out the films and stats. You don't have
to believe me. (and I saw every Croatian game this past summer).

Reaction Score
Do we know that? I don’t remember her being mentioned
Tilda has been mentioned, on and off, on the BONEYARD for years. 6'6" and IMO
she will be an asset to N. C. State. Don't look now, BUT, Tilda going to NC STATE
could be another indication that Sarah Stone may not be interested in STATE! Not
that Sarah would play in the POST for N.C. State but I would be interested if other
BONEYARDERS have an opinion about the one commitment affecting a future one!!!????

Reaction Score
Tilda has been mentioned, on and off, on the BONEYARD for years. 6'6" and IMO
she will be an asset to N. C. State. Don't look now, BUT, Tilda going to NC STATE
could be another indication that Sarah Stone may not be interested in STATE! Not
that Sarah would play in the POST for N.C. State but I would be interested if other
BONEYARDERS have an opinion about the one commitment affecting a future one!!!????
If ESPNs article is accurate, then NC State isn’t one of her finalist school’s. So I don’t think Tilda’s decision impacted Sarah’s decision

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart started on Day 1, so did Paige
The only thing more comical than Maya coming off the bench would have been Breanna Stewart coming off the bench. Paige was needed in the starting line-up....after all, she did win the Player of the Year as a freshman... unprecedented by the way.

Reaction Score
Talking to some coaches and they cant see her going to UNC. They can see her coming to UConn but she will have to play.
I thought I heard that Strong has already Committed to the Huskies? Then I hear that LSU know who is whispering sweet nothings into her ear.

Reaction Score
When you look at the roster for that season, it's hard to see anyone who would have started before Paige. I mean, it was 3 upperclassmen -- Liv, Christyn, Evina -- and a bunch of freshmen -- Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Mir, Piath, Saylor -- and two sophomores -- Aubrey and Anna. The only question was how soon it would be before Nika and Aaliyah cracked the starting lineup.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only thing more comical than Maya coming off the bench would have been Breanna Stewart coming off the bench. Paige was needed in the starting line-up....after all, she did win the Player of the Year as a freshman... unprecedented by the way.
At one time Breanna did come off the bench.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
You would need dynamite to get KK and Ash out of the starting lineup!
Morgan and Allie look like dynamite to me, just think about it, three of the best off guards or wings at UCONN next year. Doesn't mean they park Ash or KK, what a rotation. Throw Paige, and whoever comes back and forget dynamite we are looking at nitro.

Reaction Score
Geno is in charge of who plays and who doesn't. When I think of a number 1 player coming to UConn I think of what has happened historically. DT did not start in game one, and Maya did not start at the beginning of the season...just being number one was not a guarantee of a starting position. I admit bringing Maya off the bench was a joke...everyone could see that she was the best player on the floor and that it wasn't going to be long before she would be a starter. Then you get freshmen like KK and Ashlynn who are starting...why? Simple circumstances on the ground gave Geno no choice but to start them. The conventional wisdom is...it doesn't matter who starts the game...it is who is on the court when it matters.

Breanna Stewart started on Day 1, so did Paige

I beeeive Ann Strother, and Christyn Williams also started day 1. Maybe Tina might have started game 1 vs Richmond nut started nearly every game.
Katie Lou didn't start right away or maybe game 1 she did but early in the season she started then through entire season.

Reaction Score
Morgan and Allie look like dynamite to me, just think about it, three of the best off guards or wings at UCONN next year. Doesn't mean they park Ash or KK, what a rotation. Throw Paige, and whoever comes back and forget dynamite we are looking at nitro.
To me too!

Now that Geno is having fun with the 4 guard lineup, I suspect he'll keep using it next season, but with a deeper rotation so they never get tired.

Right now, it looks like KK and Paige are the tip of the spear, so to speak. But next season Morgan will fit right in, since it's exactly what she plays at Mitty HS now. And Azzi Ash Allie can rotate through the wing, and Sarah will be the second wing (i.e. the 4th guard; see how I worked her in there?). Ice and Ayanna will rotate through the 5. What about Jana, you ask? Given how good her handles are, I think she rotates at the other wing with Sarah -- we go from a big wing who can pass to a huge wing who can pass.

Yeah, we could play an ordinary front court and backcourt lineup, too. But that sounds boring, though it would probably be awesome! Then you'd have KK Ines and Morgan share the PG, Paige Azzi and Ash share the SG, Allie Q and Aubrey share the W, Sarah and Jana share the high post 4, and Ice and Ayanna share the low post 5. And everyone plays intense defense because the rotation is still deep.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are there any portal bigs that may be in the pipeline?
There may not be any more scholarships for next year. There are 2 players in the Class of 2024, Sarah Strong and Emely Rodriguez, with offers, too

74C1C74B-603A-431A-A0D3-9DDC1889266B.jpeg

Reaction Score
Are there any portal bigs that may be in the pipeline?
As Husky Nan points out the number of available roster spots at this point is limited, and I think also very unknown. Except for maybe the Ivy league that doesn't allow a fifth year of play, almost all entrants to the portal wait until after the season is over to announce, so at this point who knows.

We don't know who will be available or if we have a spot to offer. Like last year we would probably only be looking for a quite high level big. Those are rare and there might not be a difference maker for us in the portal, or maybe another Dorka, or a player like Cardoso or Betts, you never know.

I don't know when Strong or Rodriquez might decide, but we know that the possible extra year returnees have to decide shortly after the season, because the WNBA draft comes up very quick and they have to declare for it. The portal decisions come right around that time too. I hope that at the latest Strong and/or Rodriquez decide within a day or two after our four maybe returnees decide, and at that point we should know if we have a spot to pursue in the portal or not, but these decisions probably will be jammed up in a very tight time window.

Reaction Score
As Husky Nan points out the number of available roster spots at this point is limited, and I think also very unknown. Except for maybe the Ivy league that doesn't allow a fifth year of play, almost all entrants to the portal wait until after the season is over to announce, so at this point who knows.

We don't know who will be available or if we have a spot to offer. Like last year we would probably only be looking for a quite high level big. Those are rare and there might not be a difference maker for us in the portal, or maybe another Dorka, or a player like Cardoso or Betts, you never know.

I don't know when Strong or Rodriquez might decide, but we know that the possible extra year returnees have to decide shortly after the season, because the WNBA draft comes up very quick and they have to declare for it. The portal decisions come right around that time too. I hope that at the latest Strong and/or Rodriquez decide within a day or two after our four maybe returnees decide, and at that point we should know if we have a spot to pursue in the portal or not, but these decisions probably will be jammed up in a very tight time window.
Geno already knows what he needs to know. I don't need to know more than that.

Reaction Score
Strong was at the Duke basketball game today. Interesting since most observers seen to think it's down to UCONN, South Carolina & North Carolina. I'm hoping her mom has a lot of influence as both mom and dad are from South Carolina. It's been said mom wants her to play for Dawn. Who knows? Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I do know that The State Newspaper out of Columbia, SC had an article where Joyce Edwards stated she is working on Strong for Carolina.

I believe in my heart of hearts it will come down to Carolina and UCONN with UCONN being the "winner" for Strong!!

Reaction Score
I agree, but we gaze into our crystal ball like this all the time. In the summer it builds to a crescendo when we have nothing better to do. Just once (it hasn't happened lately) I'd like reality to match our enthusiasm. Please, pretty please...

Reaction Score
Strong was at the Duke basketball game today. Interesting since most observers seen to think it's down to UCONN, South Carolina & North Carolina. I'm hoping her mom has a lot of influence as both mom and dad are from South Carolina. It's been said mom wants her to play for Dawn. Who knows? Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I do know that The State Newspaper out of Columbia, SC had an article where Joyce Edwards stated she is working on Strong for Carolina.

I believe in my heart of hearts it will come down to Carolina and UCONN with UCONN being the "winner" for Strong!!
Yet Strong has never mentioned SCar except to say we are recruiting her.

Reaction Score
If someone announces they can no longer play contact sports, can the school keep them on scholarship without it counting as an "athletic scholarship?" It would seem to make sense rather than forcing a school to say you were injured we are taking away your scholarship. Or is there a rule that you cannot take a scholarship away from an injured player? My guess would be if Geno has 15 players on scholarship he will say I have enough good players, if I can't win with 15 there is something wrong with me as a coach. I don't need 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom