UConn recruiting Speculation, part 3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting Speculation, part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vukosa may be the best big in the '26 class but she is also the BEST big for UConn. Surround her with the army of great UConn shooters who also play great defense and that team would be special.
Agreed......she looks trimmer and quicker than even six months ago, she can shoot from three and has a great back-to-the-basket game....she's also an aggressive rebounder/defender and has a bit of a mean streak when on the court.......as much as I'd like Strong, if I only had one player to choose in the next few years it would be Vukosa......until Special K is ready to graduate that is.....

Reaction Score
I really hope Geno gets at least 3 quality bigs from the portal this year especially if Edwards is not coming back. Imho the post players we have for next year are projects. The post will need some help again
Umm, where are you going to find three quality bigs? Also, even if you find them, where are you going to find roster spots for them? Paige and Aubrey are almost sure to come back, it’s at least possible that we will get Strong! I’m not even sure we have room for those three! I think we’re going to be pretty happy with Jana, by the way and Ice should be vastly improved next year!

Reaction Score
If a player tells Geno she won't come if she doesn't start then I think Geno's decision is "You're not coming."
It's not that simple. Geno doesn't guarantee starting spots, but that doesn't mean it isn't important to some recruits. Telling them they can compete, and if they are the best they will start is very different from any kind of guarantee. But if you look at it from the player's standpoint, who is on next year's roster could greatly affect the probability of a player like Sarah Strong starting.

If you are the number 1 recruit the odds are very high you will start at all but a limited number of programs. If Aaliyah is on the roster, we may be one of the few schools were she wouldn't. If she pursues the WNBA, Sarah's odds of starting would be very good.

Some players at Sarah's level might hope to make an All American team the first year, as Paige did, and Watkins and Hildago might this year. Obviously Aaliyah's return could affect the probability of that happening, as it could for being higher on any of the career leader lists for any stat if you did not get starter minutes in year 1.

Wanting to have a good chance to start is not a character flaw, but expecting a guarantee would be IMO. Sarah's reasons for delaying could be many things, but roster uncertainty could be one of those. Even there it could work both ways. While Aaliyah returning could be a minus for recruiting Strong, Paige's return could be a plus for example, since the team would be considerably better and they wouldn't be competing for the same position.

Right now the entire roster situation is a bunch of what if scenarios for next year. It is possible (not probable) we would not have a roster spot for Sarah, or be able to pursue anybody in the portal either. At the other extreme we could have room for Sarah, Rodriquez and a portal addition. We may not have any clarity until the season is over and decisions have to be made quickly.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please get back on topic - UConn recruiting

Reaction Score
Umm, where are you going to find three quality bigs? Also, even if you find them, where are you going to find roster spots for them? Paige and Aubrey are almost sure to come back, it’s at least possible that we will get Strong! I’m not even sure we have room for those three! I think we’re going to be pretty happy with Jana, by the way and Ice should be vastly improved next year!
Agree. Let's start with one quality big and go from there.

Reaction Score
It's not that simple. Geno doesn't guarantee starting spots, but that doesn't mean it isn't important to some recruits. Telling them they can compete, and if they are the best they will start is very different from any kind of guarantee. But if you look at it from the player's standpoint, who is on next year's roster could greatly affect the probability of a player like Sarah Strong starting.

If you are the number 1 recruit the odds are very high you will start at all but a limited number of programs. If Aaliyah is on the roster, we may be one of the few schools were she wouldn't. If she pursues the WNBA, Sarah's odds of starting would be very good.

Some players at Sarah's level might hope to make an All American team the first year, as Paige did, and Watkins and Hildago might this year. Obviously Aaliyah's return could affect the probability of that happening, as it could for being higher on any of the career leader lists for any stat if you did not get starter minutes in year 1.

Wanting to have a good chance to start is not a character flaw, but expecting a guarantee would be IMO. Sarah's reasons for delaying could be many things, but roster uncertainty could be one of those. Even there it could work both ways. While Aaliyah returning could be a minus for recruiting Strong, Paige's return could be a plus for example, since the team would be considerably better and they wouldn't be competing for the same position.

Right now the entire roster situation is a bunch of what if scenarios for next year. It is possible (not probable) we would not have a roster spot for Sarah, or be able to pursue anybody in the portal either. At the other extreme we could have room for Sarah, Rodriquez and a portal addition. We may not have any clarity until the season is over and decisions have to be made quickly.
I don’t see Aaliyah having anything to do with it. I’d imagine she’d want to start at the SF/3 position which doesn’t have a ton of competition at the moment next year.

Reaction Score
It's been a dozen years since Connecticut recruited a top post player. That was when Breanna Stewart signed with UConn. Since then we've experienced a shocking doubt. We had ONO, though she was clearly a second-tier player at best. Yes, we got Dorka for two years a a transfer. We got transfer Azura Stephens for a single year. Yes, we signed the Egyptian post player Al Alfy, who was injured before playing her freshman year. She may or may not be a top-flight post, but we'll only know after she returns from that devastating achilles injury. That's a shocking lack of talent recruited at post. All the more confounding since we got Paige and Azzi, two of the greats in the back court.

We're due for a great. But one wonders whether Coach Geno's impending retirement is having an effect on recruitment. Yes, he's said nothing about it, but his approach to 70 and beyond has to be giving recruits thoughts as to whether they would be signing up for a short-tenured coach. Alabama's football coach retired for the same reason: recruits kept asking him how long he would continue at Alabama.

We're losing Edwards next year, and the Irish star via New Jersey won't be arriving for two more years. Landing a great post is critical.

Reaction Score
It's been a dozen years since Connecticut recruited a top post player. That was when Breanna Stewart signed with UConn. Since then we've experienced a shocking doubt. We had ONO, though she was clearly a second-tier player at best. Yes, we got Dorka for two years a a transfer. We got transfer Azura Stephens for a single year. Yes, we signed the Egyptian post player Al Alfy, who was injured before playing her freshman year. She may or may not be a top-flight post, but we'll only know after she returns from that devastating achilles injury. That's a shocking lack of talent recruited at post. All the more confounding since we got Paige and Azzi, two of the greats in the back court.

We're due for a great. But one wonders whether Coach Geno's impending retirement is having an effect on recruitment. Yes, he's said nothing about it, but his approach to 70 and beyond has to be giving recruits thoughts as to whether they would be signing up for a short-tenured coach. Alabama's football coach retired for the same reason: recruits kept asking him how long he would continue at Alabama.

We're losing Edwards next year, and the Irish star via New Jersey won't be arriving for two more years. Landing a great post is critical.
Who are you recruiting for?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Let's be honest. There are like 5 elite bigs in all of WCBB right now. That means there is about 1 elite big coming out of high school each year.

In the entire top 25 of scoring, there are exactly 3 elite post players. Kitley from Va Tech, Holmes from Indiana, and Lee from KSU. THAT'S IT. I'd also add Cardoso, even tho her scoring is not astronomical, as an elite post too. So what was Geno supposed to do to get these guys? For size and post, he's gotten Edwards (elite), DeBerry (she was supposed to be elite), Brady, Patterson, El Alfy, and transfer Juhaz. That's pretty darn elite IMHO.

And as far as recruiting, the last 3 years, Geno has landed the following:
  • #1 and 5 in 2021
  • #4 and 5 in 2022
  • #6 and 15 (Shade is better than 15 IMHO) in 2023. I'd put Jana in the top 10 easily as well.
  • #4 and 18 in 2025 (Cheli is WAY better than 18 IMHO).
So to be honest, I'm not sure where this continued chatter about recruiting falling off is coming from. Not sure what Strong will do. If she wants guaranteed PT or a guaranteed starting spot, UConn is definitely NOT the right place for her. BUT even on a full roster, if we lose Nika and Aaliyah, I COULD see Sarah starting even over Caroline, Ice, and Ash depending on how things pan out. She will be a starter sooner rather than later. Just look at this season - 2 freshmen starters, 2 key freshmen reserves off the bench. The opportunity will be there.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest. There are like 5 elite bigs in all of WCBB right now. That means there is about 1 elite big coming out of high school each year.

In the entire top 25 of scoring, there are exactly 3 elite post players. Kitley from Va Tech, Holmes from Indiana, and Lee from KSU. THAT'S IT. I'd also add Cardoso, even tho her scoring is not astronomical, as an elite post too. So what was Geno supposed to do to get these guys? For size and post, he's gotten Edwards (elite), DeBerry (she was supposed to be elite), Brady, Patterson, El Alfy, and transfer Juhaz. That's pretty darn elite IMHO.

• #1 and 5 in 2021
  • #4 and 5 in 2022
  • #6 and 15 (Shade is better than 15 IMHO) in 2023. I'd put Jana in the top 10 easily as well.
So to be honest, I'm not sure where this continued chatter about recruiting falling off is coming from. Not sure what Strong will do. If she wants guaranteed PT or a guaranteed starting spot, UConn is definitely NOT the right place for her. BUT even on a full roster, if we lose Nika and Aaliyah, I COULD see Sarah starting even over Caroline, Ice, and Ash depending on how things pan out. She will be a starter sooner rather than later. Just look at this season - 2 freshmen starters, 2 key freshmen reserves off the bench. The opportunity will be there.
Regarding those who question the recruiting and bigs in particular, it’s ridiculous and a waste of time answering them. They think every top player in the country is sitting by their phone waiting for UConn to call and if Auriemma and staff don’t get them it’s their fault and they’re not working hard or smart enough. Recruiting has changed a lot in recent years and being near home and being a home state hero is very attractive now like Clark going to Iowa and Watkins at USC. UConn actually still does very well considering there’s not a lot of elite talent coming out of NE and NY.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder where all these elite posts that Geno is missing out on are going? As EricLA said, there just aren’t many to be had! In the past three or four years I can only think of one or two surefire, stud posts. One was Betts, who clearly was never coming to UConn, and even she has some weaknesses. The three that EricLA mentioned, though very solid now, were not must have studs when they first signed with their respective schools but rather have grown into their eliteness.Furthermore, I’m not positive about this but I doubt any one of those three were even recruited by UConn! I would venture to say that, with the exception of Betts, I can’t think of a better post prospect in the last three years than our own ElAlfy! Ice Brady was the second rated big in Betts’ class. The simple truth is, there just aren’t very many 6’6” and above players available and even fewer of them are a Stewie, Boston, or Charles!
I think Geno would be wise, as he already seems to have done with Gandy, to recruit someone like Ava Heiden for example, who in the fullness of time might grow into a big time post. After all, one scholarship every two or three years on a non elite but potentially good post, surely would not cripple our roster even if they did not develop into a star? Just look at Audie Crooks at Iowa State for example! How good would she look next to Aaliyah right now? I don’t think anyone would have called her elite but she’s producing 18&7 as a freshman! Of course, I want Geno to keep going after the cream of the crop but maybe an Audi Crook or an Ava Heiden occasionally might give us some fallback for when the elites say no or just don’t work out!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

• #1 and 5 in 2021
  • #4 and 5 in 2022
I hate to contradict you but you are way off on this assessment, as #1, using scoring as your criteria is absurd and #2 different systems and schemes allow for different development patterns. UConn has to "reload" every year for a title run yet other schools have a year or two of down/development cycles.

Off the top of my head, here is a list of very good if not "elite" bigs playing right now:

Cameron Brink-how you could forget about her is astounding.
Angel Reese-yeah, she's very polarizing but yet also ELITE
Raegan Beers at Oregon State
Alyssa Pili at Utah
Taylor Jones at Texas-been hurt most of the year yet still pretty good.
Audi Crooks at Iowa State
Lauren Betts at UCLA
All of the above are proving they are "elite"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members