UConn recruiting classes - Is two enough? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting classes - Is two enough?

Reaction Score
Oldude, very nice OP, but I think in some ways this under-emphasizes the importance of the less prominent players on the roster. Even the walk-ons who barely play add significantly to the chemistry and the lesser players can have a huge impact on individual games. With nicks and bruises not to mention significant injuries, a roster of 8 players is too few and even 10 is questionable as the wear to the starters adds up over the season if the reserve pool is too shallow.

The uncertaintaties inherent in recruiting mean that aiming for recruiting classes of 3 players each year and being surprised by 4, 2, or 1 player classes occasionally is I think what most coaches strive for. Five player classes happen occasionally (that 2002 class was originally TASSK with one player dropping out due to chronic injury) but especially in the transfer era in which we now live a five player recruiting class and even four player classes rarely graduate together.
I agree and like most of what you state here. We are all to accustomed to injuries in multiples these last couple of year and that drives our beliefs, me too. Since I don't have to cater to 12 to 15 players I can state this: The larger collection of top 30 players, with a sprinkling of 1,3,5's and very few real bench sitters the happier I would be, and hopefully protected from the injuries we saw last season. Kids or young adult can't just run 5 days a week, play 2 or 3 hard games every week, travel 10,000 miles, classes, practices, etc without the body and mind being pushed to the limit something will give way. Geno, Christine, Shea, Jazmine (now) job is to keep them motivated while they are working in overdrive (what the heck is that?)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
About 3 years ago, CD said that, in an ideal world, the recruiting classes would be 4-3-4-3. That gives them a large enough roster to deal wit transfers and injuries, keeps them slightly under the scholarship limit, gives them balance by class, and gives them the extra player in the earlier year. The interesting thing is that Geno often plays only 7 or 8 in close games, so CD's roster of 14 seems contradictory. But I think having a few extra players not in the regular rotation is fine, especially if they are younger and just ned longer to develop. It's unlikely that most freshmen will be regular contributors at UConn.

To answer the question of is 2-2-2-2 enough, I would say no. It give no room for transfers or injuries. Having an occasional class of 2 is not a problem. The Lou and Pheesa class quickly was a class of 2. The Kia and Gabby group became a class of 2. Liv and Christyn are only 2. I think 2-3-2-3 may work fine, though I probably prefer 3-3-3-3.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
About 3 years ago, CD said that, in an ideal world, the recruiting classes would be 4-3-4-3. That gives them a large enough roster to deal wit transfers and injuries, keeps them slightly under the scholarship limit, gives them balance by class, and gives them the extra player in the earlier year. The interesting thing is that Geno often plays only 7 or 8 in close games, so CD's roster of 14 seems contradictory. But I think having a few extra players not in the regular rotation is fine, especially if they are younger and just ned longer to develop. It's unlikely that most freshmen will be regular contributors at UConn.

To answer the question of is 2-2-2-2 enough, I would say no. It give no room for transfers or injuries. Having an occasional class of 2 is not a problem. The Lou and Pheesa class quickly was a class of 2. The Kia and Gabby group became a class of 2. Liv and Christyn are only 2. I think 2-3-2-3 may work fine, though I probably prefer 3-3-3-3.
What you state certainly makes sense, but it doesn’t track with UConn’s actual experience. If we just look at the 12 year period (2008-2019) outlined in my OP, for which we have data through recruits senior years at UConn, the averages paint a much different picture for a program that has made the FF every single year, so far.

Over that 12 year period, UConn has signed 31 recruits, for an average of 2.58 recruits per year. Of those 31 recruits, 23 provided meaningful contributions as starters or key reserves, for an average of 1.92 per year.

Just about all of the recruits that did not provide meaningful contributions transferred out, typically by the end of their sophomore year, with a couple exceptions. On the positive side, the roster was supplemented by 2 walk-ons (Polly & Tierney) and 3 inbound transfers (Nat, Z & Touly).

The conclusion is that whatever number of recruits Geno and CD feel is optimum, in practice they are bringing in less than 3 per year and playing slightly less than 2.

Reaction Score
What you state certainly makes sense, but it doesn’t track with UConn’s actual experience. If we just look at the 12 year period (2008-2019) outlined in my OP, for which we have data through recruits senior years at UConn, the averages paint a much different picture for a program that has made the FF every single year, so far.

Over that 12 year period, UConn has signed 31 recruits, for an average of 2.58 recruits per year. Of those 31 recruits, 23 provided meaningful contributions as starters or key reserves, for an average of 1.92 per year.

Just about all of the recruits that did not provide meaningful contributions transferred out, typically by the end of their sophomore year, with a couple exceptions. On the positive side, the roster was supplemented by 2 walk-ons (Polly & Tierney) and 3 inbound transfers (Nat, Z & Touly).

The conclusion is that whatever number of recruits Geno and CD feel is optimum, in practice they are bringing in less than 3 per year and playing slightly less than 2.

I wonder how many are they going to need in 2020 if they only get one in 2019?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder how many are they going to need in 2020 if they only get one in 2019?
Not going to worry too much about that until Boston and Jones make their decisions. However, if the Huskies end up with a 2019 class of 1, I would expect the transfer welcome mat to be out next spring.

Reaction Score
Not going to worry too much about that until Boston and Jones make their decisions. However, if the Huskies end up with a 2019 class of 1, I would expect the transfer welcome mat to be out next spring.

well you're a better man then me..................I've been worrying about it for months now..................get's back to the limited numbers of offers UConn make.............I have to think that more of the players Notre Dame and sometimes Stanford go after might just be the kinds of kids that Geno could live with...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
well you're a better man then me...I've been worrying about it for months now...get's back to the limited numbers of offers UConn make...I have to think that more of the players Notre Dame and sometimes Stanford go after might just be the kinds of kids that Geno could live with......
CB, I know you’re the resident BY worrier, and I respect you for it. As for me, I prefer walking through the jungle with a warthog while singing, “Hakuna Matata.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I don’t think we are disagreeing substantially. One question would be: What’s the measure of class size—those signing LOIs or those playing 4 years at UConn? Comparing the 31 number and the 23 number suggests that we need to start with a higher number to account for injuries, transfers, or misses in recruiting. I think we can get by with 2 healthy, productive players per class, but starting with 2 means that we need to bat 1.000 in selecting kids and get lucky with injuries. Also, as good as some of our teams have been, a serious injury to a key player could have resulted in a Final Four loss instead of a NC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't count out Boston to Ohio State and ND. They've recruited her hard and based off just social media (i know not to speculate but remember Brunelle and Horston's social media signs) she seems to favorite a lot of Ohio State's and ND stuff. Again could mean nothing but just something to note.
I don't remember any Brunelle "social media signs" but I do recall that she wanted to come to UCONN according to an "insider".

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
CB, I know you’re the resident BY worrier, and I respect you for it. As for me, I prefer walking through the jungle with a warthog while singing, “Hakuna Matata.”
Does that make you the meerkat in this scenario? Probably not the cub with a name like oldude.

Reaction Score
Boston is a game-changer - a generate type player. If she chooses ND over UConn, we'll be agonizing over how many consecutive titles ND will win. To say her decision is important is an understatement to say the least.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Boston is a game-changer - a generate type player. If she chooses ND over UConn, we'll be agonizing over how many consecutive titles ND will win. To say her decision is important is an understatement to say the least.
I see you are a "Boston" fan, but if Boston is a "generate" player (I'm gonna assume generational here), what does that make Jones, Horston, Brunelle and Owusu?

Most of the generational players in the past have been at a minimum #1 across the board with the rating services. I'm not saying she won't/can't be a really great player, but generational? That's a big step up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I see you are a "Boston" fan, but if Boston is a "generate" player (I'm gonna assume generational here), what does that make Jones, Horston, Brunelle and Owusu?

I don't see Boston as a generational talent; there are very few of those. She is rated higher than Brunelle by all the services and higher than Owusu by all but one, however.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It is if you get the right two. Two ballers with high BB IQ's and a ferocious work ethic (like Christyn) that can come in and "get it" right away, and contribute right away. Like Maya or Dee. If you can get two players of their caliber every year, you're good to go. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't see Boston as a generational talent; there are very few of those. She is rated higher than Brunelle by all the services and higher than Owusu by all but one, however.
If you combine the rankings (PN, Bluestar,HG), Boston is 5th. Haven't got all of the ASGR's yet to add them in.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It is if you get the right two. Two ballers with high BB IQ's and a ferocious work ethic (like Christyn) that can come in and "get it" right away, and contribute right away. Like Maya or Dee. If you can get two players of their caliber every year, you're good to go. :cool:
Maya and Dee. Every year? That is more than a big if. I appreciate your optimism, but you are swinging for a fence too far. You must be a Kipling fan. :confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maya and Dee. Every year? That is more than a big if. I appreciate your optimism, but you are swinging for a fence too far. You must be a Kipling fan. :confused:

I was being a little facetious there. Maya and Dee type players come along (to UConn) once every 10 years. You’re not going to get that type of player every year. How long before another “Maya” arrives on campus?

My reference to them repeated what Geno has said on numerous occasions that they came in and got it right away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If you combine the rankings (PN, Bluestar,HG), Boston is 5th. Haven't got all of the ASGR's yet to add them in.

Boston has one outlier in PN where's she's 11th for some reason. She's 1 or 2 at ASGR.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Boston has one outlier in PN where's she's 11th for some reason. She's 1 or 2 at ASGR.
I believe Horston is #2 at ASGR.

Well right now whatever the reason is, it is what it is.

And the point of my post was Generational talents are always at least #1 in all the rankings. Even then they may not be generational.

Reaction Score
I was being a little facetious there. Maya and Dee type players come along (to UConn) once every 10 years. You’re not going to get that type of player every year. How long before another “Maya” arrives on campus?

My reference to them repeated what Geno has said on numerous occasions that they came in and got it right away.

no news that Azzi Fudd may very well end up being a player on or near Maya's level...............at 15 years old Bueckers could run the UConn offense and she too is going to be a major impact player for some lucky team..........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In addition to the concept of Boston being a generational player which has been properly challenged there is also the aspect of her winning multiple championships at ND. ND is an outstanding program but it does not have the recruiting pedigree for delivering #1 prospects that even the UCONN generational players had and needed to win multiple Championships. Don't forget that Stewie had #1s KML and KLS a number #2 in Mo Jeff and #6 (former #1) in Morgan Tuck. Maya of course had Tina Charles and DT had Ann Strother. ND has never had the #1 player in any class, Haley Jones will be UCONN's 10th overall number 1.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom