UCONN Reaching Out TO MSG and Barclays Center | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Reaching Out TO MSG and Barclays Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think WBB matters, it's just material enough to register on the radar screen. I've turned on the B1G Network and watched (for a few minutes anyway) a Minnesota / Wisconsin WBB game played in front of several hundred people. If anything, UConn's inclusion would yield a bump in TV's turned to WBB.
Exactly, adding WBB would theoretically bump everyone's attendance for that one game in the same way BC's only sellouts in Men's ball are when Dook and UNC come to town. Attendance jumps from 2-3K to 8K or full. This would obviously happen, yet UConn WBB isn't in those conferences.
Its a plus for UConn's consideration, but it hasn't moved the needle yet, so to hypothesize that attendance at one random neutral site game would be an AHA moment is a fiction.

Reaction Score
Exactly, adding WBB would theoretically bump everyone's attendance for that one game in the same way BC's only sellouts in Men's ball are when Dook and UNC come to town. Attendance jumps from 2-3K to 8K or full. This would obviously happen, yet UConn WBB isn't in those conferences.
Its a plus for UConn's consideration, but it hasn't moved the needle yet, so to hypothesize that attendance at one random neutral site game would be an AHA moment is a fiction.

I read somewhere that when the UCONN women played their away games this year, Memphis, SMU, Houston, and UCF all had record-breaking crowds.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some of the new opposing teams in WBB refer to UConn as "the circus" as in the circus is coming to town. It's a whole new world to have press and a crowd for their games. I am sure it would be a significant gate/viewership bump in the B1G. That doesn't get us in the door but it certainly is a plus for us as is our strength in other traditionally non-revenue sports.

Reaction Score
I reject your premise. If women's basketball mattered at all UConn would be in a better conference. Women's BBall team success, arena filling and ticket sales don't seem to matter a lick, so the scenario of a major conference evaluating the fannies in seats at a mythical game is a worthless fiction.
Actually, it does matter, it matters in that our women's basket ball team generates revenue and that does get noticed. In our case it is Women's BB added to Men's basketball but still adding these together does not come close to what football will need to generate. However, as football improves it may just may be these other sports that combined with revenue put us over the top so please do not be too too quick to dismiss IMO!

Reaction Score
The way CR works is a conference picks a team they like and then finds reasons to justify their inclusion. There is no common characteristic amongst the schools who switched conferences.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure our current success is doing nothing but grating on the nerves in Chestnut Hill, Syracuse, South Bend and various other southern outposts.

Our proponents will still be our proponents, but I suspect our detractors will be more committed to our demise than they were yesterday.

Reaction Score
I think WBB matters, it's just material enough to register on the radar screen. I've turned on the B1G Network and watched (for a few minutes anyway) a Minnesota / Wisconsin WBB game played in front of several hundred people. If anything, UConn's inclusion would yield a bump in TV's turned to WBB.

The women have been on BTN this year.

Reaction Score
I'm sure our current success is doing nothing but grating on the nerves in Chestnut Hill, Syracuse, South Bend and various other southern outposts.

Our proponents will still be our proponents, but I suspect our detractors will be more committed to our demise than they were yesterday.
This is why, even though I feel the ACC is the best fit for UConn overall, UConn should not hold it's breath on an invite. UConn makes sense to that conference on every level imaginable, yet there are forces there looking to keep us out. I hope UConn has people trying to persuade The Big12 on the benefits of adding UConn. We bring revenue in NCAA credits earned alone.

Reaction Score
This is why, even though I feel the ACC is the best fit for UConn overall, UConn should not hold it's breath on an invite. UConn makes sense to that conference on every level imaginable, yet there are forces there looking to keep us out. I hope UConn has people trying to persuade The Big12 on the benefits of adding UConn. We bring revenue in NCAA credits earned alone.

Not sure but I think the credits stay with the conference. Anyone know for sure?

Reaction Score

I hate the idea of the ACC. Being in a conference with a bunch of schools that tried to kill us does not appeal to me. I would rather be in the B1G and take a chunk out of them.

Most ideal situation would be joining the B1G with another ACC school. But it is all very unlikely I know...

Reaction Score
I didn't mean to imply that I think you though UConn was selling out. I was comparing the hatred of success between those bands to the Women's team. I prefer the Men's game too, but I can recognize that they are different games without hatred of the Women's game or team. Women's games outside the top 10 or so just don't register for me, and even then, it is still not appointment TV. But that is the point. They do for other people.
The Women's game is an extremely popular asset for the University and any way they can capitalize on that asset is fine with me.

Q: A lot of fans are saying Metallica is selling out with the new [black] album. What do you think?

Jason Newsted: "Yes, we sell out...every seat in the house, every time we play, anywhere we play."

The reality, is that UConn women's hoops is probably in the lead among the three money maker programs when it comes to backing up Mr. Newsted's statement.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Q: A lot of fans are saying Metallica is selling out with the new [black] album. What do you think?

Jason Newsted: "Yes, we sell out...every seat in the house, every time we play, anywhere we play."

The reality, is that UConn women's hoops is probably in the lead among the three money maker programs when it comes to backing up Mr. Newsted's statement.
That quote is precisely why I included Metallica in my post.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, then like me, you're getting old - and we got to edumacate these young uns. :)
Who you callin' old, Sonny?

Apologies to Justin Long in Live Free or Die Hard, I'm not getting old, I'm growing classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom