UConn RB Donevin O’Reilly out for season with torn ACL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn RB Donevin O’Reilly out for season with torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We really don't need him. If someone else gets hurt then we're screwed but it's not like we're competing for a conference championship or anything. Building culture is more important than another 400 rushing yards and 4-5 touchdowns
Walk on tryouts are coming up. Maybe another O'Reilly is already on campus lurking.

Reaction Score
Man that sucks! Really feel for the kid.
Definitely sucks. I was saying after the Spring game that he impressed me so much. Reminded me of Woodhead. It didn’t surprise me at all that he wound up at #1. Hopefully he comes back even stronger. We do have some other good backs that will just have to step up

Reaction Score
Definitely sucks. I was saying after the Spring game that he impressed me so much. Reminded me of Woodhead. It didn’t surprise me at all that he wound up at #1. Hopefully he comes back even stronger. We do have some other good backs that will just have to step up
Kid was might impressive in the Spring. This really sucks.

Reaction Score
We really don't need him. If someone else gets hurt then we're screwed but it's not like we're competing for a conference championship or anything. Building culture is more important than another 400 rushing yards and 4-5 touchdowns

UConn is already building a culture . . . a losing culture. If Hopkins changes his mind, so much the better. But to say that "we're screwed but its not like we're competing for a conference championship or anything" is exactly the culture we all want to change.

Reaction Score
I feel terrible for O’Reilly, sounds like he is a tremendous worker and leader. I am sure he will attack rehab and be ready to contribute next year.

I also am not as down as some are here. And I’m the guy who thinks two wins is realistic. I really like Mensah, I think he is going to have a big year. And fortunately, rb is one of the few positions a true freshman can play and be effective. I expect someone to emerge from the freshman class to have a very good year.

I have a ton of worries for this team (qb, the entire defense), running back isn’t one of them.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We have Mensah, Scott, Dante Black and Khyon Gillespie and then Banton. We should be good here.

Reaction Score
We have Mensah, Scott, Dante Black and Khyon Gillespie and then Banton. We should be good here.
the fact that Mensah was getting pushed out of the starting role and that Scott is threatening for RB1 is only a good thing considering how good Mensah looked at times last year. And Dante Black is a stud. If there's a position on the field where a freshman can make a mark, it's at RB.

Reaction Score
Don’t want him. Can’t rely on guys like that. You quit? Good get out.
This might be the first time we agree on something. Next man up!!! Hopkins quit on the team and the school because he couldn’t accept his “ROLE”....NEXT!!!

Reaction Score
This might be the first time we agree on something. Next man up!!! Hopkins quit on the team and the school because he couldn’t accept his “ROLE”....NEXT!!!

I’m sorry you were late on the “P and Diaco suck” train.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Can he get a medical redshirt and still have two years left?

It is possible, but not sure if he or the staff will go that route.
I feel so bad for him as he stood out at the Spring game with his vision and ability to cut.

Damn this stinks

Reaction Score
I feel so bad for him as he stood out at the Spring game with his vision and ability to cut.

Damn this stinks

The only way to turn this into a "blessing in disguise"would be to find a way for him to participate on the 2020 team. The 2020 team could be a serious contender for a league title and a new years day game if Krajewski is the real deal knowing that Kevon Jones and Travis Jones will be tearing opponents apart by then.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Damn this stinks
Curious why you think not.

I'd think they would try to get every bit of eligibility out of him.

An ACL is not the game changer is was even 15 years ago, let alone when Gale Sayers tore up his knee.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Perhaps a calculated quote by HCRE today.

A certain running back asked back on the team and Edsall told him to kick stones?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
the fact that Mensah was getting pushed out of the starting role and that Scott is threatening for RB1 is only a good thing considering how good Mensah looked at times last year. And Dante Black is a stud. If there's a position on the field where a freshman can make a mark, it's at RB.

I totally agree. O'Reilly must have been really good, I guess. I didn't buy into the hype after the spring game, but Mensah is a legit athlete, so beating him out means a lot.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Mensah may still have a toe dipped in the doghouse. I'm fairly bullish on this year's team, despite the youth, but only for selfish reasons. A winning team is a more entertaining team.

Mensah will be a 1,000 yard rusher.

Reaction Score
You absolutely hate to see something like this happen to any kid, but especially one who has worked so hard to get to where he was on the depth chart. As much as I love this time of year for all the camp news you hate to see these stories pop up.

On our team we've sustained some very difficult losses in the last few weeks. We had two incoming freshman be forced to retire because of undiagnosed heart conditions that were discovered on their entrance medical screenings. We also lost a predicted starter at DE because of chronic back issues.

Injuries are a part of the game, but anyone who has been around it at this level understands the amount of sacrifice these kids make to get where they are. It is total physical and mental commitment. Hopefully Donevin's teammates pick him up at this difficult time and he can bounce back from this ready to compete next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek