UConn-Providence postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
35686401-6737-4C43-8720-E551F0802B47.jpeg

Reaction Score
Any takes on the post-game discussion between coaches? Radio crew noticed and wondered....
Yes, there appeared to be some "words" there. then after the Providence coach said something, Geno turned around like he heard something he didn't like. No one mentioned it on SNY, and it appeared CD was trying to "smooth" things over with the PC coach. Maybe I read it wrong, but maybe not!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My impression of the 2nd half was a Geno teaching session. I don't think Paige scored at all and if Aaliyah did, it wasn't many points. I guess he wanted to see who would step up, especially when he took Paige and Aaliyah out and rotated Nika and KK in and out. This was a good time to get points, rebounds and assists from Q, Ice and Ines, along with good defense.
Personally I was a bit disappointed in their performance but it let Paige and Aaliyah stay on the bench for most of the 2nd half. (Caveat I am typing this before seeing how many minutes anyone played.)

Reaction Score
Was good to see the game allowed the freshman and bench players to get some valuable playing time — and the seniors some valuable rest.

With all the injuries that happened this year, going undefeated in the Big East was never a given. It wasn’t always pretty, but still a worthwhile accomplishment this year.

Thank you to all the players who stepped up and contributed to the success of the season, both big and small.

Now let’s reset and win the conference championship and keep our fingers crossed for the Big Dance.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Paige got pissed and took the game over. It was wonderful to watch. Then Geno rested her for the 4th quarter.
Paige didn't score in the second half. I hope she is still missed next Saturday.

Reaction Score
KK impressive tonight
Our coaches need to turn her loose and be creative for some of the plays. IMO we tend to run too many set plays with far too many passes. In the second half we were busy making many very quick passes to pre-determined spots. No attempt to score while running down the clock. The better teams all seem to play around a very quick guard with great results. KK is the little engine that can! She was tied for the high rebounder at seven for us. Our guard play was much better in the second qtr with more movement especially by Paige. Her pull-up jumper was money.
Hoping our three-point shooting improves. Without that, a deep run will be difficult. Our rebounding is not consistent nor decisive apparently due to poor blocking out by some players.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Yes, there appeared to be some "words" there. then after the Providence coach said something, Geno turned around like he heard something he didn't like. No one mentioned it on SNY, and it appeared CD was trying to "smooth" things over with the PC coach. Maybe I read it wrong, but maybe not!
After the handshakes were finished, the PC Coach, CD and Geno got together on the court. No clue what the talking was about tho.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Super fast transcription of CD post game on radio:

Congrats on BE regular season champ/undefeated.

CD: Sometimes ... it's just expected. You really need to look back and appreciate what we done. Especially on our older guys. Happy proud of Nika, Paige, and AE and how the younger players stepped up. This probably more well-earned this year because of situation. Especially proud of our older players.

It's not easy to go through the season - there's illness (AE has been not feeling well for past 2 games) ankle sprains. Things you don't know about.

What can you say: Nika, AE, Paige

Really physical game. Don't know our defense could be any better in 1st. We were moving the ball get our shots. They hold and grab. Got out in transition. It's never been an easy place to play. Very physical.

3rd quarter - KK explode?

That's what we need. People are giving us wide open shots, we need to know those in. Hopefully get back to doing that (13 straight wins we did that)

AE Steals?

AE has done a great job, seeing the openings and take advantage of it. Still hesitant when goes end to end. (Laughs). She's better handling ball going full court.

Next step for AE?

More consistent 17' and then she should add 3-point shot. Been working on it, Needs to feel consistent so she's knock it in. Even with misses.

Lot of former players on coaching staff? How feel?

I feel old. (Laugh) It's always great. Kaili loves the game. Is a gym rat. Follow pros, ask about recruits. Especially important for this program 'cause trying to rebuild a program. Won games this year they probably weren't been expected to win.

Next: Providence or...Butler...

Butler? it's almost like we haven't played them is so long...

Reaction Score
The game started off rough but picked up in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter was all about the bench, so things got really interesting with play and that happens when you have different combinations out there trying to adjust. Defensive intensity kicked things off and that helped with the offense. Paige was Paige. Once she got hurt, she scored on 3-4 straight trips down the court.

KK played well. Finished a lot better tonight than previous games.

Aaliyah-Another solid night.

Nika-The way she started the game, I was thinking that she was going to have 10 or more assists! Players gotta finish.

Ashlynn-I love her defense. She was being a pest out there on both ends of the floor.

Q-Is not shy about "shooting her shot!" She is going to be one heck of a player,

Ice- Had a pretty decent showing out there. She is being active on both ends of the court and that is all you can do. She had some nice post ups but nobody could get her the ball. She had a nice 2-man game with Paige.

Ines-Just has to keep having the confidence that her shot will fall.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A few games ago (DePaul), I wrote the italicized below and received a significant amount of derision:

I hate to be the killjoy on a day that UConn scored a century and Paige made some moves not see in Chicago since MJ...

but:

Spring of 2024, UConn is a good, very decent team, but not a great team and certainly not a final-4 team.

-Shooting from distance of late has been erratic -The half court offense (at times)seemed less
effective the DePaul's
-There really is no bench
-Other than Aaliyah, there is no substantial hight...Ice
did well at times but continues to be a fouling
machine.(
note: better today in that respect)
-The freshman starters still seem worn down.

None of this is news, we've been talking about it all season. I can't predict how far they will go, but a significant number of other teams seem more ready.

Note: And as we know...a lot of higher ranked teams have had struggles of their own.
-------------------------------------------

Nothing much has changed since De Paul...
Geno, the announcing crew, Kara in the studio and the HC all agree that more scoring is required from anyone not a senior and at this moment, it is not forthcoming.

I had hoped that Ines, finally getting some minutes, would have had a better game...She still gives the impression of being a competent BB player and I hope Geno gives her another chance.

This team desperately requires (at least one) additional scorer and a big, banger inside.

It's all on the menu for next season.
I do not have high expectations for the post-season
But will be delighted to be surprised.

Reaction Score
KK was a force tonight; could not keep my eyes off her. I can’t wait for her offense to catch up to her defensive game.
Shade has hit a bit of a wall; hopefully the time between now and next Saturday will be beneficial. We need a third scorer in the worst way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom