UConn-Providence post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Providence post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love the tenacity of the team after Edwards went down. Paige showed up big time when needed. The freshmen, especially KK, were outstanding. Anyone else tired of the fawning over the Providence coach? Except for the covid year, 2020-21, their year to year record have been fairly consistent the past 9 years, no change this year, either!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What a fantastic finish. We grew alot from this game. When AE went down we stepped up big time. All season we have been waiting for a game like this and this may have be the game where we grew up. Terrific play by everybody. Paige looked like her freshman season. It seemed to all come together starting with attacking the basket and sharing the ball. This game may be the game we all have been waiting for. Paige showed why she is the best all round player in WCBB. Paige makes things happen, makes everybody else better and can step up when the team needs her. What a great performance by the team.

Reaction Score
If you think the Big East is especially physical, you must not watch much of the play in the power conferences.
If you think I haven’t watched the P5 conferences you must not have read many posts here. Yes they have rough play too and it sometimes gets out of hand. If Angel Reese got injured and couldn’t continue in the tournament or the NCAAs, would you think the SEC should do something? Oh, wait, Angel was injured yesterday. Or if someone broke Caitlin’s nose in the Big10 tournament?

Reaction Score
Just so tired of the cheap shots UConn players have to endure. As was posted, no consequences so teams will continue to play "beat up UConn players". Maybe it's time for UConn to get an enforcer - someone who won't mind being ejected for hammering someone on the other team.

Bottom line we won, by a lot. But Q2 and the start of Q3 was not pretty. Red flags for sure, but nothing can be done now. Needed to be fixed earlier. We can only ride the horses we have. Special shout out to KK for finding her shot!
"Enforcer" is a term I associate with MEN'S ICE HOCKEY. (generally PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY ).. not with UCONN's WBB, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I hope AE doesn't have a concussion or she could be out for awhile.

The team's response after she went out was enormous. Paige did Paige things, but there were contributions from KK, Nika, Ash, and Ice. I was so happy to see Ice, playing with 3 fouls, only pick up 1 more when we really needed her to stay in the game.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the second quarter Ice was called for a charging foul when a Providence player fell to the floor. To me, it appeared to be an obvious flop. The Providence player appeared to be nearly flat on her back before Ice touched her. Did anyone else see this play as being a flop?

Reaction Score
I was stunned that the Providence player was not ejected for a clear, intentional swing to Aaliyah's face.
Disgraceful there was no ejection. What a joke the Big East Officials are and what the Big East would be if they don't penalize this more. She wound up and hit a player above the head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the second quarter Ice was called for a charging foul when a Providence player fell to the floor. To me, it appeared to be an obvious flop. The Providence player appeared to be nearly flat on her back before Ice touched her. Did anyone else see this play as being a flop?

I said flop in real time. She was falling back well before ice touched her.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • The last UConn player you would ever expect to see go down with an injury is Aaliyah, who has been nothing short of a warhorse in her 4 years as a Husky. If she has a broken nose, I’m unsure how soon she could possibly be back on the court, even if she breaks out her superhero mask from last season.
  • Nika with another 5 assists is now 1 behind Jenn for 3rd place on UConn’s all-time assist list.
  • With Aaliyah out, I thought that Ice played very solid basketball at both ends of the court.
  • As a reminder to everyone, Paige is just a different player this time of year, and she has been since high school. Like DT, Maya, Stewie and other Huskies before her, Paige is a BIG GAME PLAYER, who will take over a game if that’s what’s necessary to insure victory. Today’s stat line: 29 pts, 9 rbs, 6 assists, 3 stls, 3 blocks.
  • Nice to see KK and Ashlyn rediscover their shooting stroke. KK in particular played a marvelous game, only to go down with less than 2 minutes left in the game with a quad? injury.
  • Geno must feel like Job, whose faith in God was tested with all manner of abuse visited upon him by Satan. Job never cursed God. As for Geno, I can only imagine. :(
I am hoping that Edwards did not suffer a broken nose. But she did have a bit of a distant look when the return from the locker room. KK will know more tomorrow. But we can't get anyone ( ie Marquette or Villanova) if both KK and Edwards are out.

Reaction Score
As others have said, the girl was already falling backwards before Ice got there. I posted that in the chat as several others did as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
she wasn’t ejected because it was not “a clear swing” at Edward’s. The player was going up for a rebound and Edward’s caught an elbow. It happens.
I have to disagree with you. There was nothing inadvertent about the Providence player swinging her left arm wildly, fully extended at face level. There was no intent to box out. That was absolutely a cheap shot. That’s why a 2-shot flagrant foul was called. The refs, at their discretion, can subsequently eject the player if they determine that a flagrant foul was both intentional and severe.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • Geno must feel like Job, whose faith in God was tested with all manner of abuse visited upon him by Satan. Job never cursed God. As for Geno, I can only imagine. :(
the nail gets hits on the head!

:):):)

re: liya
i was remjnded of griner vs. walz/louisville. a bit ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Very physical game that the refs let get out of hand. Same girl put three huskies down.

UConn had more offense, which is what we wanted to see. Let’s go UConn!

Ice shout out also. Nice game from her.
I’m not sure any were intentional. She threw her arm out, but had no idea Aaliyah’s face was there. KK hit her thigh on her knee trying to go around. Not sure which #3 is, but I don’t think the other 2 were intentional. She tried to apologize in the handshake line.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
And the slo mo clearly showed her sticking her knee out to impede KK. If KK weren’t quite a bit shorter than the PC player, it would have been knee on knee!
and this was done with the game out of reach and the huskies were trying to milk the clock.

but hey, if you're gonna lose, you might as well send a message to those g-d huskies. .... i doubt that all friar players endorse that, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom