UConn: Prospects Nation's #1 2021 Class | The Boneyard

UConn: Prospects Nation's #1 2021 Class

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Huskies women’s basketball program has 11 national championships. The program is legendary in every sense of the word. Whether it’s unrealistic expectations or not, 2016 was a long time ago and Storrs is due for a championship run.

History stays that the signing of back to back No. 1 players, this year’s signing of Azzi Fudd of Arlington, Virginia, and last year’s signing of Paige Bueckers of St. Louis Park, Minnesota, is a good omen for hanging banners in Storrs.

Overview:

Top-50 Rankings:

Reaction Score
I always thought UConn signed back to back to back number 1’s with Charles, Moore, and Delle Donne, or was Gemelos ranked number 1 in class of 2006?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saylor's rating here did the trick for #1 class.

PS. Her favorite pregame meal is ramen noodles.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with the heights for Caroline and Saylor. Caroline is closer to 6'2" than 6'1". Saylor personally told me she's a full 6'2", and RoadWarrior attested to it.

1607009138791.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with the heights for Caroline and Saylor. Caroline is closer to 6'2" than 6'1". Saylor personally told me she's a full 6'2", and RoadWarrior attested to it.

View attachment 61965

They are listed at 6'2" in all manner of places. How this kind of height misinformation gains life is beyond me. Up until ESPN switched rating services this fall they had Caroline listed at 5'10"!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I always thought UConn signed back to back to back number 1’s with Charles, Moore, and Delle Donne, or was Gemelos ranked number 1 in class of 2006?

All 3 were #1 recruits. Moore and EDD were consensus, and Tina was #1 by the same people who did Hoopgurlz. I believe she was #1 on a couple other lists too, though I could be wrong. Amber Harris was the #1 kid early on and may have stayed #1 on Bluestar. Tina was the most commonly considered #1 recruit though even if she wasn't #1 on every list.

Reaction Score
They are listed at 6'2" in all manner of places. How this kind of height misinformation gains life is beyond me. Up until ESPN switched rating services this fall they had Caroline listed at 5'10"!
Azzi is too famous otherwise ESPN will list her 5'6".

Reaction Score

While I understand the various heights listed at different sites is confusing, you have to realize that these are kids that are still growing. Ducharme said in a video recently she had a growth spurt in either her freshman or sophomore year, and went from 5'10 to 6'2.

The growth spurt is referenced in this article but I can not find the video where she goes into specifics over it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I generally don't get too worked up over the class rankings. I think it's pretty clear that UCONN and SC have the best classes, no matter who you rank as #1, and then there's a pretty fair gap between #2 and the rest of the classes.

UNC, ND, Stanford and Texas all had really good classes too, just decidedly lower than the top 2. It appears that UCONN and SC are poised to dominate for the next 3-4 years in WCBB. Of course other teams will challenge, especially Stanford, but no one else has the uber-high quality players consistently over numerous years. Just MHO going off memory. I'm sure I missed a team or 2...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While I understand the various heights listed at different sites is confusing, you have to realize that these are kids that are still growing. Ducharme said in a video recently she had a growth spurt in either her freshman or sophomore year, and went from 5'10 to 6'2.

The growth spurt is referenced in this article but I can not find the video where she goes into specifics over it.

Yes @soxfan23 I recall the video with 2 guys as hosts and that growth spurt is true. That being said, would you feel good about your work product if it was so stale it missed 4 inches of growth? If they don't know her height they don't know her game, but they are purporting to rank her currently.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

View attachment 61965
I believe this photo was taken following a loss to an out of conference biggee. The looks on their faces are fascinating and beg a Caption This. A: That was ugly. P: At least they really need me. Azzi: Well I guess it's UCLA. C: I got the spread!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I generally don't get too worked up over the class rankings. I think it's pretty clear that UCONN and SC have the best classes, no matter who you rank as #1, and then there's a pretty fair gap between #2 and the rest of the classes.

UNC, ND, Stanford and Texas all had really good classes too, just decidedly lower than the top 2. It appears that UCONN and SC are poised to dominate for the next 3-4 years in WCBB. Of course other teams will challenge, especially Stanford, but no one else has the uber-high quality players consistently over numerous years. Just MHO going off memory. I'm sure I missed a team or 2...

On paper, yes it looks like they'll be the strongest teams....but well coached programs like Baylor and Oregon both look awfully good the next several years, and other programs could come out of nowhere and thrive like how Mississippi State did under Vic.

We're also in a different era where kids don't often stay at the same school all 4 years. Between transfers, injuries, players eligible to come back for a 5th year, and early WNBA entrants (ex. both Bueckers and Fudd will be draft eligible after their junior season), about half of these recruits wont suit up for the same team their senior season if recent trends persist.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

That was the video where she was on with 3 radio guys while she was in Las Vegas.

Reaction Score
On paper, yes it looks like they'll be the strongest teams....but well coached programs like Baylor and Oregon both look awfully good the next several years, and other programs could come out of nowhere and thrive like how Mississippi State did under Vic.

We're also in a different era where kids don't often stay at the same school all 4 years. Between transfers, injuries, players eligible to come back for a 5th year, and early WNBA entrants (ex. both Bueckers and Fudd will be draft eligible after their junior season), about half of these recruits wont suit up for the same team their senior season if recent trends persist.
That s true, but unfortunate. One of the things that draw me to the women's game is that you get to watch them for 4 years, unlike the 1 and done - let make the highlight film - men.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

View attachment 61965
Perspective, perspective, perspective.

Reaction Score
Yes @soxfan23 I recall the video with 2 guys as hosts and that growth spurt is true. That being said, would you feel good about your work product if it was so stale it missed 4 inches of growth? If they don't know her height they don't know her game, but they are purporting to rank her currently.

I doubt that any ranking services actually measures players. And with the number of phony height listings all over wcbb I'd guess that this board is the only place where it's a subject of interest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom