UConn Proposes Tuition Increases Over Next 4 Years | The Boneyard

UConn Proposes Tuition Increases Over Next 4 Years

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/education/hc-uconn-tuition-hike-1202-20151201-story.html

"UConn's chief financial officer is proposing a four-year schedule of tuition increases for resident students beginning with a 6.6 percent increase next year, and averaging about 7 percent for each of the next three years.

By the 2019-20 school year, in-state tuition would grow by $3,275 to $13,799, compared to the current figure of $10,524. This represents an increase of about 23 percent over four years.

Tuition for non-residents at UConn would rise more slowly, with average increases of slightly more than 3 percent annually over the next four years. Out-of-state tuition would rise by $950 to $33,016 by next fall and grow to $36,466 by the fall of 2019."

Reaction Score
Jesus, how much is it going to be by the time I have kids headed to college (around fall 2045)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jesus, how much is it going to be by the time I have kids headed to college (around fall 2045)
If you go to the CHET 529 savings website... You can project out and plug in a few assumptions... It's goshdarn terrifying.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you go to the CHET 529 savings website... You can project out and plug in a few assumptions... It's goshdarn terrifying.
Well at least the context-sensitive advertising pops up a handy CHET banner ad... Hmm I wonder what happens if I ask a question about combinerd savings for home, auto, and life insurance? Or if I ask about mortgage refinancing? Or one weird rule to cut down belly fat?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Great, my daughter starts this fall. Soak the out-of-state kids instead, tuition at UVM is 39k a year and it's a popular choice.

Reaction Score
Great, my daughter starts this fall. Soak the out-of-state kids instead, tuition at UVM is 39k a year and it's a popular choice.

My daughter starts in the fall as well. Since she picked UCONN over Michigan ($65k), 'Nova ($60k) and Syracuse ($50k) I'm not freaking out about it...yet. I still feel like we won the lottery!

I have another daughter who will graduate HS in 2022 and I don't expect the situation to get any better through 2026.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My daughter starts in the fall as well. Since she picked UCONN over Michigan ($65k), 'Nova ($60k) and Syracuse ($50k) I'm not freaking out about it...yet. I still feel like we won the lottery!

I have another daughter who will graduate HS in 2022 and I don't expect the situation to get any better through 2026.
Out of state flagships are popular with kids, but the cost is insane. There has to be about 5 kids in my daughter's grad class going to UNH (new hampshire) for no real reason other than it's more of a brand name than Eastern or Central. My kid was wavering between a private which would have meant borrowing about 20k a year, Eastern, which would have been less than 10k, or finally UConn. Uconn is easily the best school of the 3, but I'm trying to drill into her that every thousand borrowed is going to matter a lot in ten years. She loved UVM, of course, but seeing it in August is probably a bad idea. Check it out in January when the wind is howling off the lake.

Reaction Score
Out of state flagships are popular with kids, but the cost is insane. There has to be about 5 kids in my daughter's grad class going to UNH (new hampshire) for no real reason other than it's more of a brand name than Eastern or Central. My kid was wavering between a private which would have meant borrowing about 20k a year, Eastern, which would have been less than 10k, or finally UConn. Uconn is easily the best school of the 3, but I'm trying to drill into her that every thousand borrowed is going to matter a lot in ten years. She loved UVM, of course, but seeing it in August is probably a bad idea. Check it out in January when the wind is howling off the lake.

My daughter thankfully came to the "brand" conclusion in April. She went three weeks without smiling when the financial aid packages started rolling in. We live in a highly affluent and competitive town and for several of her friends, cost of college wasn't even an thought when choosing a school. Some are going to Penn State, Michigan, OSU, Syracuse, BC, U-Chicago, Northeastern, 'Nova. Once she realized that several of these kids sounded so pretentious when talking about these big name schools, she got over the "brand" issue and is extremely happy to be attending UCONN with several of her friends.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My daughter thankfully came to the "brand" conclusion in April. She went three weeks without smiling when the financial aid packages started rolling in. We live in a highly affluent and competitive town and for several of her friends, cost of college wasn't even an thought when choosing a school. Some are going to Penn State, Michigan, OSU, Syracuse, BC, U-Chicago, Northeastern, 'Nova. Once she realized that several of these kids sounded so pretentious when talking about these big name schools, she got over the "brand" issue and is extremely happy to be attending UCONN with several of her friends.
Similar situation, competitive suburban school with a lot of bragging rights. A childhood friend is going to Brown, and her twin sister is going a really good liberal arts college. She was having a hard time accepting the economic realities (and mailing in her junior year). A lot of these kids are just buying the biggest name they can afford if money is no object.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom