UConn President Susan Herbst Talks Academics, Athletics And What Keeps Her Up At Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn President Susan Herbst Talks Academics, Athletics And What Keeps Her Up At Night

Reaction Score
PP occurred before she arrived and KO was 100% JC and we did get a national championship out of it so there should be no regretting KO's hiring. The ACC thing wasn't her decision. I'll give you Bob Diaco, so you are 1 for 4, you could bat clean-up for the Mets.
Beg to differ just a bit. While it may be just a bit unfair to say this, I am unaware of any recent UConn president or AD with the initials JC. And Suzy and Warde certainly gave the appearance of being a step and a half slow when P5 conference additions happened. They may have had info early on that it was a lost cause, but the optics at least were terrible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They may have had info early on that it was a lost cause, but the optics at least were terrible.
I suspect that "they may have have had info early on that it was a done deal" but yeah the optics were terrible.

CL82

Reaction Score
More like she turned them off.
Did Suzy kick you and Bunky out of campus housing? Not sure what the beef is.

Okay, I'll bite. How exactly did she turn them off?

C

Chief00

Did Suzy kick you and Bunky out of campus housing? Not sure what the beef is.

Okay, I'll bite. How exactly did she turn them off?

I am plugged in.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I am plugged in.
So you work at the car wash? I always thought that was you Chief... nice eyebrows btw... have an A1A day with Andre and the UConn bishes!
1x01_Pilot.png

Reaction Score
You got me that time Mets. You’ve cut
it to 387-2.

It’s hilarious though watching y’all
follow her lead how she is resposible for nothing.

I’m not suggesting she is not responsible for anything. I’m just saying that she understands what is important. That she made mistakes it is on her. But the mistakes were just bad decisions. Not coming from not caring or not understanding the stakes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Don't let the door hit you in the arse as you walk out SH - take DB with you - please
UConn needs strong experienced leaders in both positions - that hasn't been the case in many years

That she made mistakes it is on her. But the mistakes were just bad decisions

Enough said in that statement

Reaction Score
The thing that bothers me about the current situation is that with a new president coming in and perhaps a new AD as a result, UConn will then be led, once again, by people without the necessary cultivated connections to give the Huskies a shot at a P5 berth.

CL82

Reaction Score
The thing that bothers me about the current situation is that with a new president coming in and perhaps a new AD as a result, UConn will then be led, once again, by people without the necessary cultivated connections to give the Huskies a shot at a P5 berth.
There's not evidence that AD Dave is going anywhere. I don't know what criteria they will use for the next pres but I doubt athletic connections will be one of them. We'll see.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There's not evidence that AC Dave is going anywhere. I don't know what criteria they will use for the next pres but I doubt athletic connections will be one of them. We'll see.

There's a pretty good chance there will be a change at AZ State in the relatively brief time it will take for Herm Edwards to destroy what's left of their FB program. Since he was hired by their current AD, it's a pretty safe bet they'll be leaving together involuntarily. If that job opens up, Benedict will go for it.

Reaction Score
Herm Edwards (will) destroy what's left of their FB program.
That’s not what I’m hearing. There’s more optimism in Tempe after a bumpy start to his regime. Look for a competitive team with a few upsets over the better Pac12 teams. It’s more likely that Edwards will surprise his naysayers.

Reaction Score
You are right on some things but you couldn’t be more wrong about the ACC.
Yeah that's right, it's all the new UConn President's fault. Warde (Nero) Manuel was just an innocent bystander following her lead.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There's not evidence that AD Dave is going anywhere. I don't know what criteria they will use for the next pres but I doubt athletic connections will be one of them. We'll see.
This. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know the actual statistics, but I always find it amusing how people here trash SH because of our athletic situation while ignoring how much she elevated the University as a whole. Does our current situation look dire athletically, sure. However, that's not her number one priority. I know we want it to be, and that this is a sports message board, but many of you just ignore all the good she's done for this University. Losing her will be a big loss and I hope we find someone who will continue to move this University on a positive direction. Our state needs it more then ever right now.

Ok, all you SH haters can throw your numbers at me and tell me I'm wrong....:p

Reaction Score
Ok, all you SH haters can throw your numbers at me and tell me I'm wrong....:p
Nope, no numbers. Just want to point out that message has not gotten through or been widely disseminated. The perception is that the initial rise in external R&D funding has not been sustained. That UConn is no closer to AAU membership than before. Are perceptions wrong?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My biggest issues with Herbst have always been financial. You can't continue to skyrocket tuition at a state school ad infinitum without considering your core mission or your core population. State subsidy will (and has) run out at some point. And giving yourself a big raise in between tuition hikes was particularly ridiculous...

Reaction Score
Just want to point out that UConn is no closer to AAU membership than before.
You think it’s easy? I spoke to SH on the subject. AAU membership (like a sorority) is by invitation only. There are only 62 schools in the club. And while many are looking to be invited, since 2002 only two schools have been admitted into the AAU. Just two!. Boston University in 2010 and Georgia Tech in 2012. That’s it. Nobody else. In fact during that same timeframe Nebraska was kicked out in 2011 and Syracuse withdrew in 2011 when it realized it no longer met the criteria and wanted to avoid the “Nebraska embarrassment”
At the risk of mixing metaphors, we were adrift in the AAU desert before Susan Herbst came on board. What she’s done to improve our chances has been extraordinary, and however elusive the invitation may be, the effort will go on.

C

Chief00

Yeah that's right, it's all the new UConn President's fault. Warde (Nero) Manuel was just an innocent bystander following her lead.

Conference Realignment is a Presidents’ club game, not the AD’s. Chief understand that’s a common misperception but the Presidents not the AD’s drive the realignment bus.
#ChiefCertified

CL82

Reaction Score
You think it’s easy? I spoke to SH on the subject. AAU membership (like a sorority) is by invitation only. There are only 62 schools in the club. And while many are looking to be invited, since 2002 only two schools have been admitted into the AAU. Just two!. Boston University in 2010 and Georgia Tech in 2012. That’s it. Nobody else. In fact during that same timeframe Nebraska was kicked out in 2011 and Syracuse withdrew in 2011 when it realized it no longer met the criteria and wanted to avoid the “Nebraska embarrassment”
At the risk of mixing metaphors, we were adrift in the AAU desert before Susan Herbst came on board. What she’s done to improve our chances has been extraordinary, and however elusive the invitation may be, the effort will go on.
And we are making progress in AAU metrics. It is just a long way from where we were to where we want to be.

C

Chief00

It’s getting weird Chief.
I think you are at the point, where you just acknowledge your Casual Fandom, and let Chief dissect the complexities of CR. Enjoy the summer. Chief

Reaction Score
Conference Realignment is a Presidents’ club game, not the AD’s. Chief understand that’s a common misperception but the Presidents not the AD’s drive the realignment bus.
#ChiefCertified
Yet, the AD must do the work on the ground. It was Jurich's hard working efforts that positioned Louisville's admission the ACC. I have to agree with huskyrob1 here.

Reaction Score
#ChiefCertified
That's why I knew that Suzie and her hair and make-up dog and pony show was going to bomb in the Big12 presentation with the good-old boys watching. What doesn't fit and Why?????

CL82

Reaction Score
That's why I knew that Suzie and her hair and make-up dog and pony show was going to bomb in the Big12 presentation with the good-old boys watching. What doesn't fit and Why?????
I know it was so frustrating when all the other candidates but us got accepted to Big 12! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom