UConn President Interviews Jim Mora | The Boneyard

UConn President Interviews Jim Mora

Reaction Score
I agree that this was a great listen. He is very well spoken. What is the opinion of the new President and her support of athletics? She is the first internal candidate to become UConn president since Hartley, is that an advantage?

Reaction Score
That was impressive. Getting questioned by his boss—unaware of what the questions would be and, like most of us, listening closely to what was being asked. I doubt she’d ever spoken at length with him before—and I’m sure she liked what she heard. He hit a home run.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So grateful AD David Benedict got Mora and his experience to Storrs. Seems really level-headed and able to communicate better to players, fans, and administration than anyone we've had since going D1.

And congrats to Simka Dahblitz-Gravas on her new position.

Reaction Score
I agree that this was a great listen. He is very well spoken. What is the opinion of the new President and her support of athletics? She is the first internal candidate to become UConn president since Hartley, is that an advantage?
One of her first public interviews is with the football coach so I'll guess she is very supportive. Also, the BOT would not have chosen her if she wasn't.

Reaction Score
Great interview and noteworthy that the President came to the football complex to do the interview. That tells me that she knows sports (specifically in this case football) are important to the university and this interview seems to indicate she will be supportive.

That said, one thing jumped out to me in a negative way.

I disagree with the Coach changing from calling Mickey Grace a football coach and instead agreeing to call her a black, female, coach.

My reasoning?
What is the job title?
Black Female Football Coach?
Or Football Coach? (Or Analyst or whatever her job is.)

If it's Football Coach, why would she want to make the title sound in any way as if the only reason she's in the job is because she's a black female?

The real show of progress for a black woman who wants to coach football would be to be called "coach" and leave no doubt in anyone's mind that she is qualified and able to do the job regardless of race, gender, religion or any other qualifier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great interview and noteworthy that the President came to the football complex to do the interview. That tells me that she knows sports (specifically in this case football) are important to the university and this interview seems to indicate she will be supportive.

I disagree with the Coach changing from calling Mickey Grace a football coach and instead agreeing to call her a black, female, coach.

My reasoning?
What is the job title?

If it's Football Coach, why would she want to make the title sound in any way as if the only reason she's in the job is because she's a black female?

The real show of progress for a black woman who wants to coach football would be to be called "coach" and leave no doubt in anyone's mind that she is qualified and able to do the job regardless of race, gender, religion or any other qualifier.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

i believe Mora's quote said that she wanted 'black' and 'female' included as a badge that she felt would be self-explanatory regarding how difficult her journey to become a football coach has been relative to others. I'm not going to question it. As Mora said elsewhere in the interview, he has to learn how to listen and relate to those younger and different than him.

i'm also guessing you're a white male ;)

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Good interview on both their parts. Coach is very well-spoken and direct; I bet his players are rarely in doubt about his message.

But I have to confess that the 12 y.o. in me (who is always bubbling near the surface) kept watching President D-G and thinking Carol Kane in Taxi (with all due respect).

1665086746538.png

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

My reasoning?
What is the job title?

i believe Mora's quote said that she wanted 'black' and 'female' included as a badge that she felt would be self-explanatory regarding how difficult her journey to become a football coach has been relative to others. I'm not going to question it. As Mora said elsewhere in the interview, he has to learn how to listen and relate to those younger and different than him.

"Wait a second, wait a second! A [woman] has got the right to change [her title] to whatever [she] wants to change it to. And if a [woman] wants to be called [a Black Female Football Coach], Godd--it, this is a free country, you should respect [her] wishes, and call the woman [a Black Female Football Coach]!" - Eddie Murphy as "Saul," Coming to America...Sort of.

Reaction Score

Tagging @Scrutiner since I assume you were replying to his (or her, but probably his) post.

Reaction Score
One of her first public interviews is with the football coach so I'll guess she is very supportive. Also, the BOT would not have chosen her if she wasn't.
She is extremely nice. I met her at the Michigan tailgate and was very impressed.

Reaction Score
Good interview on both their parts. Coach is very well-spoken and direct; I bet his players are rarely in doubt about his message.

But I have to confess that the 12 y.o. in me (who is always bubbling near the surface) kept watching President D-G and thinking Carol Kane in Taxi (with all due respect).

View attachment 79588
I DID google Simka today myself.

I still think it's amazing that UCONN and Mora found each other. He has a youthful enthusiasm about himself that I think high school kids will appreciate. Great interview.

Reaction Score
Does no one else think of Ladka and Simka from the TV series “Taxi” when watching the new president? It’s hilarious, yet she’s very likable.

Reaction Score
Radenka Maric was actually my senior design advisor back in the day. Just an incredibly sharp and personable person from all of my experiences with her. It’s pretty awesome seeing someone homegrown rise up to become President. I’m liking everything I’ve seen so far.

Reaction Score

My reasoning?
What is the job title?

I disagree with you. She ie entitled to call herself whatever she wants. Just curious, what is your job title now or in your last position?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom