UConn pregame availability: Caroline Ducharme | The Boneyard

UConn pregame availability: Caroline Ducharme

Reaction Score
"Something special about this team," says Caroline. And, boy, is she right. This is a team with heart and determination and no shortage of talent. It's such a lift to watch these young women play and a return to the good old days when UConn was never to be doubted. Love 'em.

Reaction Score
When Caroline is ready, she will be the Caroline old and play as the Caroline of old.I have compared her as a clone of Katie Lou and she has not had the chance to prove me right with all her injuries. Katie Lou had some injuries but, not like Caroline. The day is coming when she will be ready to show how good she can be. We had a preview last year when she took over when Paige got hurt. She showed at that time she was ready to lead Uconn. Praying for the best for Caroline. GO HUSKIES!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
When asked about her injury, she was cagey and deflected. "head, neck, a whole bunch of things" :eek:

Did not like what I heard. She said "it" bothered her last season when she played, got better over the summer when she didn't play as much (took time off for her hip issue), then flared up again when she started playing this season.

I'm no DR, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... Seriously, though, I'm sure "neck stiffness" can cover a lot of things, but to have it last for 9+ months, and get worse when you play, sounds more serious to me. Her answers made me more nervous for her ability to play 100% the entire season, and on an already depleted team, seems to give pause for concern.

I get that we don't have a right to her medical issues, and she was very clear in not answering any specifics, but no matter the sport, an injury to any key player will result in lots of questions asking for answers. It would be different if it was like Dorka - 'broken thumb will be out at least 5 games". However, in the absence of that (deflection, etc.), all we can do is speculate and worry.

I love her game - she brings a size and skill set as a guard/wing/forward that few players have. Down Paige and Ice, Dorka again with a broken bone, freshman Ines still getting acclimated, and no sign of Amari contributing any time soon, Caroline is obviously needed. Hope she gets "well" soon and lasts the season.

Reaction Score
When asked about her injury, she was cagey and deflected. "head, neck, a whole bunch of things" :eek:

Did not like what I heard. She said "it" bothered her last season when she played, got better over the summer when she didn't play as much (took time off for her hip issue), then flared up again when she started playing this season.

I'm no DR, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... Seriously, though, I'm sure "neck stiffness" can cover a lot of things, but to have it last for 9+ months, and get worse when you play, sounds more serious to me. Her answers made me more nervous for her ability to play 100% the entire season, and on an already depleted team, seems to give pause for concern.

I get that we don't have a right to her medical issues, and she was very clear in not answering any specifics, but no matter the sport, an injury to any key player will result in lots of questions asking for answers. It would be different if it was like Dorka - 'broken thumb will be out at least 5 games". However, in the absence of that (deflection, etc.), all we can do is speculate and worry.

I love her game - she brings a size and skill set as a guard/wing/forward that few players have. Down Paige and Ice, Dorka again with a broken bone, freshman Ines still getting acclimated, and no sign of Amari contributing any time soon, Caroline is obviously needed. Hope she gets "well" soon and lasts the season.
Agreed all around, Eric, and I'm concerned even more so for Caroline that it's injuries/pain, etc. persisting in the neck and head. I certainly trust she'll be well cared for, but that sort of chronic ailment could be problematic beyond basketball.

Reaction Score
I, as I am sure all of us, hope that whatever health related issue it is that has been bothering Caroline is not something chronic and that she can soon put it behind her. She is a terrific player, with an unknowable ceiling, a great teammate and seemingly a wonderful person. Prayers for a full and speedy end to it, a return to full participation and most importantly no residual ongoing pain or limitations as she moves on in her young life.

sun

Reaction Score
If Carol didn't want to answer health questions, all she needed to say was that she would rather not go into it.
But she also knows that she has many fans & followers that are concerned about her.

She divulged that it's a bunch of different things and that there was an incident in practice.
What I speculate from her answers is that she may be experiencing some symptoms associated with post-concussion syndrome.
This article mentions that sufferers are treated for their specific pain symptoms even when they're indirectly related to a concussion.
A percentage of people can have symptoms that last over a year which goes back to statements that Geno has made about her medical condition.
IIRC last season she wore a device around her neck during some games related to concussion.
Whenever a player experiences a fall on the hardwood, their head & brain can get rocked, and women can be more prone to concussion due to their weaker neck muscles compared to men.
So it makes some sense that she's experienced some neck pain quite possibly associated with her previous concussion concerns & history.
I'm glad that the reporters are somewhat bringing this into the open since it can be a more common occurrence among young women basketball players than many fans realize.
If it's happening to college players then it's also happening in high school, and their injury histories are being carried forward with them affecting their collegiate careers.
That's more reason why these athletes deserve NIL money as a way to compensate them for their injuries.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Carol didn't want to answer health questions, all she needed to say was that she would rather not go into it.
But she also knows that she has fans & followers that are concerned about her.

She divulged that it's a bunch of different things and that there was an incident in practice.
What I speculate from her answers is that she may be experiencing some symptoms associated with post-concussion syndrome.
This article mentions that sufferers are treated for their specific pain symptoms even when they're indirectly related to a concussion.
A percentage of people can have symptoms that last over a year.
IIRC last season she wore a device around her neck related to concussion.
Whenever a player experiences a fall on the hardwood, their head & brain can get rocked, and women can be more prone to concussion due to their weaker neck muscles compared to men.
So it makes some sense that she's experienced some neck pain quite possibly associated with her previous concussion concerns & history.
I'm glad that the reporters are somewhat bringing this into the open since it can more a common occurance among young women basketball players than many fans realize.
If it's happening in college then it's happening in high school and their injury histories are being carried forward which can affect their during their collegiate careers.
That's more reason why these athletes deserve NIL money as a way to compensate them for their injuries.

Well I for one feel much better knowing that the BY Medical Staff is all over this…..:rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
But she also knows that she has many fans & followers that are concerned about her.

A percentage of people can have symptoms that last over a year which goes back to statements that Geno has made about her medical condition.
IIRC last season she wore a device around her neck during some games related to concussion.
I'm glad that the reporters are somewhat bringing this into the open since it can be a more common occurrence among young women basketball players than many fans realize.
If it's happening to college players then it's also happening in high school, and their injury histories are being carried forward with them affecting their collegiate careers.

Geno did say a couple of weeks ago that the neck pain began with the blows to the head she sustained last season.

Reaction Score
Caroline is an interesting young lady. I gather that she is rather shy and withdrawn but is a talented team mate and basketball player. Not sure that the interview was very revealing about her injuries but she seems to be a low key personality. However, she demonstrates on the court that she has instinctive touch, feel and rhythm. I think she would be great as a starter or a 6th man type. In time, she will prove to be Uconn's unstoppable weapon. She explodes unexpectedly and at the right time, reserved otherwise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom