UConn playing St. Bonaventure? | The Boneyard

UConn playing St. Bonaventure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'd love this though it leaves me conflicted ... I always root local but my loyalty is with UConn just like when they played UB.

Schmidt is an AWESOME guy and a great coach as well.

Reaction Score
Great mid-major game. They're well coached.
They return all 5 starters from an NCAA tournament team. A few bench guys transferred, but they're bringing in 2 high major transfers as well, so should be a net talent upgrade plus total continuity (they played by faaaar the least bench minutes of any tournament team last year, so losing bench guys doesn't matter).

I expect them to be a top 25 NET ranking team, so this should be a Quad 1 game on a neutral court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Schedule is interesting next year. 4 neutrals, @WVU, TBD high major home game. Not sure who we will get - on the schedule board they are requesting a year off before returning the game, presumably to play at Florida in 22-23.

Reaction Score
They return all 5 starters from an NCAA tournament team. A few bench guys transferred, but they're bringing in 2 high major transfers as well, so should be a net talent upgrade plus total continuity (they played by faaaar the least bench minutes of any tournament team last year, so losing bench guys doesn't matter).

I expect them to be a top 25 NET ranking team, so this should be a Quad 1 game on a neutral court.

Yeah, to be honest, this may be a tough game. Harder than the bottom half of the big east. It's a good thing we have so many players returning. With a brand new squad, this could be a tough one.

Reaction Score
We should get Texas again now that Beard is there. Those H/H series were fun.

Or Florida
Florida, gotta finish the last H-H first which from Borges article may or may not be completed in Gainesville this year. Texas would be great and hope they can make that happen.

Reaction Score
Id like for it to be an ACC team. We already have a Big 12 team on the schedule with the challenge next season. We just played Florida at home 2 years ago as well as Indiana at MSG, so I would like to schedule an ACC team since it seems like we have not played one in a while. We were supposed to play NC State last year, but It was cancelled because of Covid.

Reaction Score
The casual fan doesnt realize how good St B is so this is a high risk low reward matchup from a perception standpoint. I’d rather play a middle of the pack P5 then a really good midmajor unless it’s Gonzaga

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The casual fan doesnt realize how good St B is so this is a high risk low reward matchup from a perception standpoint. I’d rather play a middle of the pack P5 then a really good midmajor unless it’s Gonzaga
A someone pointed out this is a quad 1 game so much more reward if we win from a tourney standpoint.

Reaction Score
Their big Osunniyi is a classic UConn type - big super athletic and blocks everything without fouling. Great speed getting up and down the floor. He doesn’t get as many low post touches as a Sanogo type.

They thrive on a suffocating defense and usually make enough 3s to win.

The games I saw esp LSU, their guards were ok sort of like a Cole. But that game I remember most was their elimination game, they couldn’t really get much going. Seemed like they played 3-4 guards a lot. They had one guard I liked a little better that had good quicks but rest seemed just ok. Maybe someone could give a better report.

agree, this is a borderline top 25 team (prob not since no history and name) and high quality game. Osunniyi is a great, great test for our bigs And their guards really defend - if our guards esp Gaffney play timid, could be really tough to score. Conversely, if our offense is rolling, we will win this game, as they aren’t a really good offensive team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bonaventure’s Coach Schmidt gets better results from his 2* and 3* players than any other coach I know which makes me wonder why a bigger program has not offered him a boat load of money to leave Olean.

Reaction Score
Bonaventure’s Coach Schmidt gets better results from his 2* and 3* players than any other coach I know which makes me wonder why a bigger program has not offered him a boat load of money to leave Olean.
Schmidt is one of my favorite coaches.

Quick scouting report:

Their entire starting lineup returns, all of which will be seniors who played 33 mpg+ and averaged between 10.7 and 14.4 ppg:

1) Kyle Lofton, 6'3 190: 14.4p, 3.5r, 5.5a, 1.4s, 41.4 fg%, 24 3p%.

2) Jaren Holmes, 6'4 215: 13.8p, 5.3r, 2.0a, 0.9s, 42.2 fg%, 38.1 3p%

3) Dominck Welch, 6'5 200: 11.4p, 6.0r, 2.1a, 1.2s, 43.4 3p%, 39.2 3p%

4) Jalen Adaway, 6'5 210: 12.2p, 6.0r, 1.4a, 51.5 fg%, 34.5 3p%

5) Osun Osunniyi: 6'10 220: 10.7p, 9.4r, 2.4a, 2.9b, 57.1 fg% (doesn't attempt threes).

Their entire bench transferred, but they brought in transfers:
  • Former Pitt forward, Karim Coulibaly (6'8 215 junior, 5.2p, 3.9r, 22.5 mpg, former #237 class of '19)
  • Former Wake Forest sophomore guard Quadry Adams (8.0 mpg, former #466 class of '20).
Aside from these seven players, I'm curious how their other four pieces fit in.

I'm repeating myself, but would absolutely love to see UConn play the Bonnies. Their lineup is very similar to the lineup of Maryland and it would great to see them bounce back and beat a top-25ish team with big, strong guards.

Reaction Score
Always amazing to see how any coach can put together enough players to win in a place like Olean, in a league like the A-10. I drove through the town in the early Fall two years ago at about 8 PM and it was grim.

Surprised Duke didn't hire him. What were they thinking?

Reaction Score
A someone pointed out this is a quad 1 game so much more reward if we win from a tourney standpoint.
Sure I’m just saying I’d rather play a Q1 game against a P5 because Losing to Wisconsin or Arizona sounds better than losing to St B. Perception is reality unfortunately

Reaction Score

i get what you’re saying but the casual fan doesn’t seed the tournament or rank teams and so their perception means squadoosh. As much as some posters on here might think otherwise. And SB has a pretty good shot at having a number next to their name all season. Plenty of middle of the pack P5 teams do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom