Uconn player with most undeserved bad reputation | The Boneyard

Uconn player with most undeserved bad reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all the negativity surrounding Hamiltonian decision recently I thought it would be interesting to see who the yard thinks has the most undeserved bad uconn reputation. This should be based on time in college only.

For me it is oriahki, kid was instrumental in our 3rd championship and only left after hearing of our post season ban in his last year of eligibility. I think the comments his father made were unfairly put entirely on him and even after having his minutes decline with Drummond he was still very with that team I saw him on campus tons of times just hanging with his teammates.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Albert Mouring. Wasn't the next great guard when it was his time but that team was in between runs and left him to be the guy when he wasn't that type of player. Dyson is a close second, but he brought a lot of it on himself.

Reaction Score
I won't go into AO as I can thank him for being a nice piece in our 3rd NC and also thank him for assisting in the demise of our following season. If his reason to leave was to compete somewhere else his senior season I can live with that but I highly doubt that. Nonetheless glad he left at that point.

Rudy to me was hammered unfairly due to expectations. Just a kid still as a sophomore he had a real nice season yet was blamed for much of the underachieving 2006 team. Yet look at that teams year overall and minus running into a overachieving George Mason team that team was one of UConn's best ever. And much like Caron and Andre a very good ambassador for the program.

Reaction Score
Albert Mouring. Wasn't the next great guard when it was his time but that team was in between runs and left him to be the guy when he wasn't that type of player. Dyson is a close second, but he brought a lot of it on himself.

Yeah good call here, totally agree.

Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas was a capable center who played in the late Perno years. Yet, I can remember so called fans shouting "stone hands, stone hands, stone hands" after he would make turnovers, both in the civic center and the field house. Never understood that kind of venom expressed towards our team as a kid, and don't understand it now (at the Ohio State game this year there was similar sentiment expressed towards Omar when he entered early in the game, which only stopped after his third made 3 pointer).

Reaction Score
I always thought Dyson was hit pretty hard around here. If he had been healthy of course we may have #5 in '09.

I will never forget him losing a tooth vs DePaul early in his career, and just going back in no worse for the wear. He was so tough.

He had the whole package athletically, outside shot was a bit streaky for a 2G.

He was on that team that lost early in NIT in his Sr. Year that I think made some think his career wasn't as good as it was. Of course, that disappointment was followed by Kemba taking the young pups all the way in 2011, so it was a rough way to cap a strong Husky career.

Was always a fan of Rome!

Last edited:

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Well, it has to be Ronnie Sellers, don't you think? I mean the only thing he ever did was deliver - oh, and bounce Chrissy's head off the floor.

Reaction Score
Among opposing teams fans its Khalid El-Amin, we love him but he was our most nationally hated b/c he was unexpectedly good & brash.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you all know who I'd say but I won't say it to avoid an outbreak. So I'll go with Oriakhi. He could of showed us loyalty. Loyalty to the program that he won a national championship with. But instead he took the easy way out and left.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you all know who I'd say but I won't say it to avoid an outbreak. So I'll go with Oriakhi. He could of showed us loyalty. Loyalty to the program that he won a national championship with. But instead he took the easy way out and left.
Not sure you understand the question. You are saying why these players deserve their bad reps. Question is who gets a bad rep even though they shouldn't.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Chuck Aleksinas was a capable center who played in the late Perno years. Yet, I can remember so called fans shouting "stone hands, stone hands, stone hands" after he would make turnovers, both in the civic center and the field house.

Chuck had it easy compared to what he gave. Anyone who thought Shonn Miller strayed too much from the paint never saw Chuck. He just refused to work down low despite being the biggest guy around. The truth came out in a pre-draft article I read. He said he thought he was a good NBA prospect because "I saved my knees".

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AT least while he was playing and up until the title game was over, one of my favorites, Taliek Brown. This kid was admonished in the stands, in the newspapers, on the streets. He can't shoot, he is reckless, has no clue - I can still hear it. I stood by TB and he rewarded me/us.

Reaction Score
Not sure you understand the question. You are saying why these players deserve their bad reps. Question is who gets a bad rep even though they shouldn't.

I understand the question. I think Oriakhi has a bad rep for somewhat good reason but also somewhat bad reason too. Good reason obviously because he left us at a low time for the program. Bad reason because he helped us win a national championship and was always really cool to me when I met him.

Reaction Score
I understand the question. I think Oriakhi has a bad rep for somewhat good reason but also somewhat bad reason too. Good reason obviously because he left us at a low time for the program. Bad reason because he helped us win a national championship and was always really cool to me when I met him.
Gotchya, threw me off when you suggested you were going to say Drummond.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Dyson and Drummond take the cake for me. God forbid you mention either of those guys in a thread and there are always the JD & AD trolls lurking under the bridge just waiting to lash out.

While Dyson wasn't cut out to be the go to player he was a warrior on the court and Drummond loved UConn so much his family paid his own way as a walk on! Both of these players have my eternal respect

Reaction Score
Crazy when you think that almost every name on these lists would start for us immediately.
Taliek Brown

one of the best games I've ever been to. Miss the old UConn/Pitt rivalry. (especially since Pitt nearly always choked when it mattered most)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rudy to me was hammered unfairly due to expectations. Just a kid still as a sophomore he had a real nice season yet was blamed for much of the underachieving 2006 team.

Yeah and the guy was second team AA! What the hell people were looking for is beyond me.

As far as undeserved bad rap goes, pretty much anyone who is hammered on here. Taliek, Dyson, Amida, et al.

EDIT: the one which pissed me off the most was Taliek. He was the heart and soul of that 2004 team. Ben and Emeka were the studs, but make no mistake. Taliek drove that bus. And he had to come in and completely take the reigns as a freshman, with no upperclassman to show him the ropes. Got killed for it.

I've a sneaky suspicion that JC would agree with me on TB. Not many times over his career he called out fans for picking on a guy, but TB was a memorable one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog