UConn-Pitt game preview | The Boneyard

UConn-Pitt game preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice! Thanks. I look for Kaleena to outscore Pitt in the first half.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Good analysis of how Goliath will knock off David.

Something I will look for (yes, we'll be there). In the Seton Hall game, it was obvious that Geno and the team collaborated with Breanna to get her back in sync. Mission accomplished and the hand-wringing has subsided.

Now it's Morgan's turn. I expect her to get a lot of minutes with special emphasis on being the "lo" partner to Stefanie's "hi" on offense. Despite the usual coachspeak about "playing one game at a time" (is there any other way?) and not looking ahead, Geno and the team are looking ahead -- to the first rematch against Notre Dame.

Geno seems to be building his tournament team a brick at a time, so to speak (sorry, bad analogy). First, Kelly. Then Stef and Kaleena. Next, Bria and Breanna (no longer "works in progress" but now "works progressing"). So now, in the Pitt and SFU games, I look for a concentrated effort to meld Morgan and Moriah into the flow.

Kiah? Hard to say. She can sure block shots and snag rebounds and should give Achonwa fits, but she still seems tentative on offense. (I did love that line drive 17-footer she nailed the other day, with the apogee of the arc never exceeding 12 feet en route to the bucket.)

And I like our chances. UConn by 40 and 25 minutes apiece for the M&M's.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Very Post Nan. I am looking forward to see Breanna and Bria continue to be aggressive. Morgan and MoJeff take it a notch higher. We are beginning to come together as a team lets just hope the injury bug is over. We need Bria and Breanna to be playing at a high level from Monday at ND and forward.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice job Nan. A poor shooting short team that doesn't rebound very well. Doesn't sound like it's going to go very well for the Panthers tonight. Hopefully the bench can produce tonight, get some good minutes in.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Intertesting that the focus today in the news is mostly Stewie. No interviews with Morgan or Kiah, silence on MoJeff which might be more revealing.

I agree with you Kib; the development of M&M is (are) really important for the big time play come the tough games starting next week.

I watched the replay 4 or 5 times and still don't have a satisfactory answer as to what Morgan did (or didn't) do to cause her being yanked so fast; the only conclusion I can come to is defensive confusion or offensive timidity on that last move by KML...Help anyone?

The interior play by all the non-starting big girls (Morgan excepted) was encouraging the other day; of course Stewie, but Kiah looking for some shots and banging inside. likewise Heather...that ten-footer from the baseline was as confident a shot as she's taken in her career.

We need Mo to bring some speed to the backcourt but also intelligent shot selection and a few slashes and we need the young bigs to counter ND's rebounding and penetration.

Why do I feel this is all about to happen? Must be the fantastic pre-spring skiing

HGN

Reaction Score
With the stats on Pitt being what they are, this game should not be that close. Hopefully Morgan, MoJeff , Heather and Kiah get double digit playing time.....I am sure Stewie will. I would love to see the bench step it up in intensity and energy.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
thanks Nan. very much appreciated.

Reaction Score
Well done Nan. Thank you. Analysis shows Pitt game unlikely to be much use in preparing UCONN for the tougher games ahead. In fact, a game against an overmatched opponent at this stage could be counterproductive as it may exaggerate what seem like strengths and player improvement and hide improvement needs. It could also cause overconfidence.

That said, after Pitt it's USF, who will likely serve as a test, or at least a pop quiz and an away game as well. After that, it's you know who. I wonder if the team gets to camp out in Tampa by the bay over the weekend before traveling to you know where? If so, good on them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well done Nan. Thank you. Analysis shows Pitt game unlikely to be much use in preparing UCONN for the tougher games ahead. In fact, a game against an overmatched opponent at this stage could be counterproductive as it may exaggerate what seem like strengths and player improvement and hide improvement needs. It could also cause overconfidence.
It may be a good mental challenge for the young Huskies. It's hard to maintain intensity and focus when playing an overmatched opponent.

Geno will always find something to work on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom