UConn PIPM | The Boneyard

UConn PIPM

Reaction Score
The NBA stat PIPM (Player Impact Plus Minus) is now available in multi-year form for college basketball starting with the 2011 season.

You can compare up to 8 players at once or just look anyone up individually. I put together a few charts of our lead possession users since 2011.

This is the overall chart (encompassing offense and defense). It's graphed by career game number to show improvement over the years. Note that for Kemba it's starting with his junior year only since that is where the data begins.

U16yfYv.png

Attachments

• 1589392973504.png
    1589392973504.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 99
Reaction Score
The NBA stat PIPM (Player Impact Plus Minus) is now available in multi-year form for college basketball starting with the 2011 season.

You can compare up to 8 players at once or just look anyone up individually. I put together a few charts of our lead possession users since 2011.

This is the overall chart (encompassing offense and defense). It's graphed by career game number to show improvement over the years. Note that for Kemba it's starting with his junior year only since that is where the data begins.

U16yfYv.png

That beginning spike for Kemba in Maui is something

Reaction Score

U16yfYv.png

the Bouknight trajectory.

Reaction Score
Very interesting, bouknight trending well! Don’t know much about the stat but thinking back on these players the trends make sense. Also really shows how much potential we missed out on with Gilbert unfortunately

Reaction Score
Bouknight's defense, woof.

I'm more interested in Jalen Adams's. If this is cumulative, it suggests he was a terrific defensive player his first year, then gave it all back and then some his next 3 years. What happened?

Also, I never thought much of Daniel Hamilton's defense, but he really got after it at that end, apparently.

Reaction Score
Here's the same chart with just offense.

I took out Kemba from the offense one to get a better sense of the others without warping the scale. Added Purvis.

rbP8DRq.png

Reaction Score
I'm more interested in Jalen Adams's. If this is cumulative, it suggests he was a terrific defensive player his first year, then gave it all back and then some his next 3 years. What happened?

It could mean all sorts of things. Anything involving plus/minus can get murky. Part of it was certainly his effort. His freshman year he was likely given less challenging defensive assignments as Purvis and Gibbs were guarding the opposition's biggest threats. He also played far fewer minutes per game as a freshman than he did over his final three seasons. The team his freshman season was also much better all-around--our last tournament team--and outstanding defensively. The opposition shot a ridiculous .384 from the floor against us in 2015-16, good for 6th best in the country. His soph year we were 12th, then dropped to 138th and 189th his last two seasons.

I'm not surprised that Vital was also worse, and trending downward, at the end of KO's tenure and then shot up under Hurley. Same thing with Gilbert. This is just another metric that also shows how terrible KO was his final two seasons. The team was a rudderless ship.

Reaction Score

Also, I never thought much of Daniel Hamilton's defense, but he really got after it at that end, apparently.

You're on the right track but not quite there. It's not cumulative per se, but it's kind of like a moving average weighted more towards the newest data, at least that's my understanding. So he was a good defensive player in his freshman year, then bad enough that it tanked him. @Lefty2one covered a lot of the potential reasons why. I'm sure a lot of it was shouldering a big load on offense and in general his last couple teams not being very good defensively.

Hamilton is the only "big" in the comparison. Bigs impact defense more than guards just in general (rebounding, blocking shots, defending the rim). Hamilton was one of the best defensive rebounders in the country that year and the team defense overall was great and he certainly had a hand in it.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is the only "big" in the comparison. Bigs impact defense more than guards just in general (rebounding, blocking shots, defending the rim).

This is also an important note re: Jalen. His junior and senior year he didn't have Brimah. Not a world-beater but a damn good rim protector. That impacts everything and everyone defensively.

Our national ranking in team blocked shots over the last five seasons.
  • 24th: '15-'16 with Brimah
  • 12th: '16-'17 with Brimah
  • 109th: '17-'18 with no rim protector
  • 42nd: '18-'19 with no rim protector (Carlton averaged a respectable 1.8 bpg but he's no Brimah/Akok/Whaley)
  • 4th: '19-'20 with Akok and Whaley's emergence
Pretty much paints a picture that Jalen was an average/indifferent defender in a program whose defense (or at least defensive talent) got worse throughout his career. His warts became more visible in addition to KO driving the program into the ground.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The final run Shabazz went on to the title looks almost identical (game by game dots) to the run CV was on. What could have been if CV had a chance to play out the post season...
7FEA7A26-DBF9-48EA-A327-0C23C0AC8C8F.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is also an important note re: Jalen. His junior and senior year he didn't have Brimah. Not a world-beater but a damn good rim protector. That impacts everything and everyone defensively.

Our national ranking in team blocked shots over the last five seasons.
  • 24th: '15-'16 with Brimah
  • 12th: '16-'17 with Brimah
  • 109th: '17-'18 with no rim protector
  • 42nd: '18-'19 with no rim protector (Carlton averaged a respectable 1.8 bpg but he's no Brimah/Akok/Whaley)
  • 4th: '19-'20 with Akok and Whaley's emergence
Pretty much paints a picture that Jalen was an average/indifferent defender in a program whose defense (or at least defensive talent) got worse throughout his career. His warts became more visible in addition to KO driving the program into the ground.

Ask and ye shall receive. Bigs PIPM. Note that some of Shonn Miller, Oriakhi, and Enoch's data are from other teams.
YIKLxXX.png

zgSvWUs.png

Reaction Score
As I've said in other contexts, I'm not a huge fan of computer measures of basketball players because a lot doesn't get picked up in stats. That having been said, LMAO at numbers showing AO as clearly more impactful than Drummond. But his father was mean.

Reaction Score
How the hell did we win a national championship with Nolan as the starting 4 lol.

He only took 8.5% of the shots lol. Not even overall. When he was on the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I've said in other contexts, I'm not a huge fan of computer measures of basketball players because a lot doesn't get picked up in stats. That having been said, LMAO at numbers showing AO as clearly more impactful than Drummond. But his father was mean.

The end of Oriakhi's curve is when he was at Missouri. They had about the same impact for his junior/Andre's freshman year here. Oriakhi was a beast at Missouri.

Reaction Score

Drummond was pretty mediocre and JC didn't do a good job managing him and Oriakhi together (in addition to Oriakhi being really whiny about the situation).

The talent on that team was top 10 worthy, but the pieces fit together horribly. Boat/Bazz/Lamb/Oriakhi/Drummond, with Daniels, Giffey, Roscoe Smith. Shame that was JC's last year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

U16yfYv.png
New favorite site. This is so addicting.

Reaction Score
A few more with some wings/bigs that weren't included so far.

SVc7Gu5.png

Offense
Mj8X5PX.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99