UConn picked 4th in preseason BE poll | The Boneyard

UConn picked 4th in preseason BE poll

Reaction Score
It's been discussed, but it's wild how much Providence and Seton Hall are being overrated. I can't believe Duke made the league first team over Bouknight, who was clearly better than him last year as a freshman. It's Jamel Thomas over Rip all over again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Coaches must think a lot of Ed Cooley. Providence being that high is definitely not consensus.
I'm sure you saw the Willard thread. That sentiment must have influenced a few placings.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I love being overlooked in preseason polls (I’m really referring to the Bouknight 2nd team selection). Best thing to happen for a team led by Dan Hurley.

Having said that, 4th is quite generous for a team in its first year in the league coming off a 19-12 season. I think we can get there, but it’s still generous.

Reaction Score
I think Uconn turned the corner but we still need to show more results on the floor. When we do then we'll officially "be back". I still feel all the accolades are a but early until results are shown.
PC guy is just saying that PC has earned some respect cuz they have had good results these past 5 years and have some good talent on roster. Thus they're getting a benefit of the doubt over Uconn which still needs to show more results. That's all.
I think we will have a really good season and then next year we'll get the respect and get the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
I love being overlooked in preseason polls (I’m really referring to the Bouknight 2nd team selection). Best thing to happen for a team led by Dan Hurley.

Having said that, 4th is quite generous for a team in its first year in the league coming off a 19-12 season. I think we can get there, but it’s still generous.

This sort of reductive reasoning is pointless. That 19-12 team no longer exists, and we've added multiple D1 starters since last season. Providence has worse players than UConn now. They didn't last year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This sort of reductive reasoning is pointless. That 19-12 team no longer exists, and we've added multiple D1 starters since last season. Providence has worse players than UConn now. They didn't last year.
That’s a fair point. I still am not quite as high on this team as others. I think there will be a learning/growth period in arguably the toughest league in the country. We also lost CV who was by far our best player in that last stretch of games.

I still think this will be a VERY good team by the end of the season. But getting 4th in the BE is a grind. I’m not sold on our defensive backcourt yet. AG and CV were big time defenders for us. It will take some time for this years crop I think, but we’ll get there. We have depth and scoring going for us though, that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
Seeing Georgetown in last is the shocking takeaway for me. How did that happen?
Basically all of their talent leaving last season with the off-court mess. I guess Ewing didn’t handle it well either

Reaction Score
That’s a fair point. I still am not quite as high on this team as others. I think there will be a learning/growth period in arguably the toughest league in the country. We also lost CV who was by far our best player in that last stretch of games.

I still think this will be a VERY good team by the end of the season. But getting 4th in the BE is a grind. I’m not sold on our defensive backcourt yet. AG and CV were big time defenders for us. It will take some time for this years crop I think, but we’ll get there. We have depth and scoring going for us though, that’s for sure.
AG was not a big time defender, I love the kid but this gets parroted a lot here and it's just not true.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
AG was not a big time defender, I love the kid but this gets parroted a lot here and it's just not true.
Maybe my eyes deceived me from the 30+ games I watched of him, but he seemed like an above average on ball defender. And at the very least, better than Cole and Gaffney and Bouknight.

Would you agree that AG and CV were our best backcourt defenders last season?

And again, I think Gaffney and Bouknight will get there, but they still seemed to be at that freshman level defense (albeit improved by the end of the season)

Reaction Score
Maybe my eyes deceived me from the 60+ games I watched of him, but he seemed like an above average on ball defender. And at the very least, better than Cole and Gaffney and Bouknight.

Would you agree that AG and CV were our best backcourt defenders last season?

And again, I think Gaffney and Bouknight will get there, but they still seemed to be at that freshman level defense (albeit improved by the end of the season)
Gilbert was probably a little better than them last season because they were freshmen, I expect them to be better defenders this year than he was. Gilbert applied great ball pressure at times but he also got beat a lot and bigger guards just destroyed him in the lane.

Reaction Score
preseason polls are irrelevant.

I mean preseason polls are better predictors of tournament success than the final pre-tournament polls so I think you're underestimating their usefulness.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Gilbert was probably a little better than them last season because they were freshmen, I expect them to be better defenders this year than he was. Gilbert applied great ball pressure at times but he also got beat a lot and bigger guards just destroyed him in the lane.
A LITTLE better? Lol, come on. Relative to our team last season, he was a big time defender for us, despite the flaws. You’re right he didn’t match up well to much bigger guards.

Either way, my only point is that I think AG and CV’s void will be felt a little bigger towards the beginning of the season (particularly the Big East slate) as we try to get players to settle into roles they haven’t had before.
Cole was not known for his defense and will have a different role offensively compared to Howard 2 years ago.
Gaffney looked poised offensively as the season grew on, but he takes on a bigger role this season.
Bouknight has a lot of weight on his shoulders this season. I don’t see any reason why he won’t live up to the hype offensively, but he was very shaky defensively (but was improved quite a bit towards the end of the season).
BAdams will have a bigger role this year too. I think he and Tyrese will be our most reliable defensive backcourt players at the start.

Still, a lot of players are adjusting to new roles on a new team in a new league. 4th would be great, but I’m not convinced that will happen. 5-7 feels more realistic, which is still good enough for an NCAA spot probably.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom