UCONN PGs Ranking | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN PGs Ranking

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How can u not have Pam Webber on that list. She’s probably numbah one.
Just too early for me to know - I realized I was probably leaving some of the earlier players out of the list, but ...
She is what she is. (I'll give you 2/1, but not 1 or 1/2)

Chicken.
Agree! I usually rank Moriah first.
Nobody played defense like Moriah at the pg position. I think that and her ability to penetrate makes her clear cut #1. What did Sue do better than Moriah?
Moriah was fabulous and I agree about her defense. Sue was a tiny bit better at the 3 and foul shots, PPG, and assists per game played (5.0 v. 4.3 for Moriah, 4.5 for DT, and 4.7 for Jen) - Sue would have been the leader in assists had she played her full freshman year instead of only 8 games even at her early freshman rate of 3.1/gm.
That said ... I probably take Jefferson #1 as her FG percentage and A/TO blow away her PG competition as well as her defense.

Reaction Score
Sue & Moriah is a very good debate but I tend to give Sue the nod because she was the alpha dog role 1 year & Stewie was obviously always that for us.

To answer someone’s question, yes, I think Moriah being left off the national team is simply because she was hurt at the time.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
From an outsider's perspective, I am not sure how you can not go with Bird at No. 1. Stats don't always tell the whole story and to me, the point guard position is one of influence and building a team. No one did it better than Sue. Plus, as many have pointed out, her alpha dog mentality is what gives her the edge over almost any point guard out there, UConn or not.

This is not a knock on Jefferson; she is a fantastic player as evidenced by her contributions to UConn. But Sue (like Taurasi), was a generational player and if you ask any WNBA GM's who they would choose after her senior year, I guarantee all would choose Bird.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So far we have:

1. Jefferson
  2. Bird
  3. Rizzotti
  4. Montgomery
  5. Conlon
  6. Williams
  7. Swanier
  8. Chong
  9. Hartley
  10. KJ
Only 10 voters though, so let's keep it going a little while longer.

Reaction Score
1. Bird
2. Jefferson
3. Rizzotti
4. Montgomery
5. Hartley
6. Williams
7. KJ
8. Swanier
9. Dixon
10. Conlon

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From an outsider's perspective, I am not sure how you can not go with Bird at No. 1. Stats don't always tell the whole story and to me, the point guard position is one of influence and building a team. No one did it better than Sue. Plus, as many have pointed out, her alpha dog mentality is what gives her the edge over almost any point guard out there, UConn or not.

This is not a knock on Jefferson; she is a fantastic player as evidenced by her contributions to UConn. But Sue (like Taurasi), was a generational player and if you ask any WNBA GM's who they would choose after her senior year, I guarantee all would choose Bird.
It is hard at this distance to really evaluate Sue as a college player because we are 15 years into her pro and international career where she has been spectacular and the impressions bleed together. And I certainly agree that PG is the least stat driven position on the floor and stats aren't everything to begin with. But evaluating 'leadership' and 'building a team' is pretty hard and typically the way you do it is looking at results and while Sue and Moriah were both surrounded by spectacular players the team results for Sue in the 3 last years were: 2 NCs, 107-4, Moriah: 3 NCs 116-1.
As for GMs - there was one GM in Moriah's draft who said depending on team needs some teams might choose Moriah ahead of Stewart (another 'generational player'.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is hard at this distance to really evaluate Sue as a college player because we are 15 years into her pro and international career where she has been spectacular and the impressions bleed together. And I certainly agree that PG is the least stat driven position on the floor and stats aren't everything to begin with. But evaluating 'leadership' and 'building a team' is pretty hard and typically the way you do it is looking at results and while Sue and Moriah were both surrounded by spectacular players the team results for Sue in the 3 last years were: 2 NCs, 107-4, Moriah: 3 NCs 116-1.
As for GMs - there was one GM in Moriah's draft who said depending on team needs some teams might choose Moriah ahead of Stewart (another 'generational player'.)
If there had not been a Stewart, Jefferson may well have been a 2-3 time NPOY herself.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
mojeff #3.jpg

I'm not smart enough to pick who of this great group is the best, 2nd best, etc... But there are only 4 names listed who have career stats that place in the top five for assists, the top 15 in steals and top 35 in scoring. I think we can all agree that great point guards tend to score points, pass out assists and get steals... :) Here are those four ranked, versus each other, by those stats:

2. Jen Rizzotti (1,540 pts)
3. Moriah Jefferson (1,532 pts)
4. Sue Bird (1,378 pts)

Assists
1. Moriah Jefferson (659 assists)
2. Jen Rizzotti (637 assists)
3. Renee Montgomery (632)
4. Sue Bird (585)

Steals
1. Moriah Jefferson (353 steals)
2. Jen Rizzotti (349)
3. Renee Montgomery (266)
4. Sue Bird (243)

Moriah ranks 1st twice and 3rd once... Jen is 2nd three times... Renne gets a 1st and 3rd twice.... Sue Bird finished 4th all three times... very interesting, but probably not conclusive for many fans.

Go Huskies..!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
View attachment 30943

I'm not smart enough to pick who of this great group is the best, 2nd best, etc... But there are only 4 names listed who have career stats that place in the top five for assists, the top 15 in steals and top 35 in scoring. I think we can all agree that great point guards tend to score points, pass out assists and get steals... :) Here are those four ranked, versus each other, by those stats:

2. Jen Rizzotti (1,540 pts)
3. Moriah Jefferson (1,532 pts)
4. Sue Bird (1,378 pts)

Assists
1. Moriah Jefferson (659 assists)
2. Jen Rizzotti (637 assists)
3. Renee Montgomery (632)
4. Sue Bird (585)

Steals
1. Moriah Jefferson (353 steals)
2. Jen Rizzotti (349)
3. Renee Montgomery (266)
4. Sue Bird (243)

Moriah ranks 1st twice and 3rd once... Jen is 2nd three times... Renne gets a 1st and 3rd twice.... Sue Bird finished 4th all three times... very interesting, but probably not conclusive for many fans.

Go Huskies..!!
Interesting, but ... Sue played only 118 games in her career due to her knee injury as a freshman (8 games.) If you drop out freshman year for each:
1. Renee Montgomery (1,990 pts) -330 = 1660 = #1
2. Jen Rizzotti (1,540 pts) -358 = 1182 = #4
3. Moriah Jefferson (1,532 pts) -182 = 1350 = #2
4. Sue Bird (1,378 pts) -41 = 1337 = #3

Assists
1. Moriah Jefferson (659 assists) -69 = 590 = #1
2. Jen Rizzotti (637 assists) -104 = 533 = #3
3. Renee Montgomery (632) -123 = 509 = #4
4. Sue Bird (585) -25 = 560 = #2

Steals
1. Moriah Jefferson (353 steals) -52 = 301 = #1
2. Jen Rizzotti (349) -60 = 289 = #2
3. Renee Montgomery (266) -63 = 203 #4
4. Sue Bird (243) -15 = 228 #3

Moriah is still 1 in two categories and moves up to 2 in points while Sue's stats change to 2,3,3 rather than last. Because of Sue's injury comparing the last three years is much more comparable when looking at gross numbers - Sue played 110 games for the last three years, Moriah 116, Renee 113, and Jen 106

Reaction Score

MJ’s defense could shut down pgs, see SD. Penetrator extraordinaire, good 3point shooter, lightning quick on break, assist machine, game changing finishes in big games and the heart of a warrior. Give me MJ. I love Sue, I watched Sue, she’s the greatest of the great, get it straight, she’s great. But give me MJ.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Mo
Sue
Rizzotti
Renee
Rita Williams
Maria
Saniya
KJ
Keita
Lorin

Reaction Score
1. Bird - Her talent and her BB mind unmatched to date
2. Jefferson - The overall skills to dissect any opponent
3. Rizzotti - The heart of a killer
4. Montgomery - Geno on the court
5. Conlon - DT brought out the best of Maria and made her better than anyone thought she'd be
6. Hartley - 2x AA one as PG and the other as a SG
7. Williams - Coming into UCONN she was never considered as good as she developed
8. Chong - Survived 3 down years to have one great senior year
9. Swanier - became a game changer type of player for Geno
10. Dixon - The coaching staff brought out the best in her

KJ can't be counted IMHO as she flunked out before playing 4 years, great potential but not realized!
Doty can't be counted IMHO as her career was robbed by the many knee injuries/surgeries! If she had remained injury free she may have finished up in the top 5.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well it's been a week and the results are in. We'll move on to the SG's here shortly. We still couldn't come up with a starting PG. :confused:

1. Sue Bird/Moriah Jefferson tie (123 pts)
3. Jen Rizzotti (103)
4.Renee Montgomery (90)
5. Maria Conlon (60)
6. Rita Williams (54)
7. Ketia Swanier (37)
8. Bria Hartley (36) (we'll have to see how she does in her real position)
9. Saniya Chong (35)
10. Kennitra Johnson (21)

Well there you have it. Scientific fact. :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well it's been a week and the results are in. We'll move on to the SG's here shortly. We still couldn't come up with a starting PG. :confused:

1. Sue Bird/Moriah Jefferson tie (123 pts)
3. Jen Rizzotti (103)
4.Renee Montgomery (90)
5. Maria Conlon (60)
6. Rita Williams (54)
7. Ketia Swanier (37)
8. Bria Hartley (36) (we'll have to see how she does in her real position)
9. Saniya Chong (35)
10. Kennitra Johnson (21)

Well there you have it. Scientific fact. :cool:
I didn't vote. I'll break the tie for you...

1. Moriah
2. Sue
3. Jen
4. Renee
5. Rita
6. Maria
7. Saniya
8. Ketia
9. Bria
10. Kennitra

Reaction Score
Sooo, here's something to do in the Off season. We'll go through and rank the players by position. This is their UCONN career. (under consideration, those that have graduated or have already made the wall) I was going to do a poll, but it doesn't really work for ranking. (it would work for "best" - but I want to go a little deeper - you wouldn't get too many arguments for best 2/3/4/5, but who's 2nd, 3rd, etc. now there might be some conversations). There might be some arguments about who is what, but that'll give us some more discussion anyway.

Just list them 1-10. I'll compile the results (assign points 10-1). We'll start with the PG's. The 1's. Here's a list to start with (wall players listed first, then others I thought should be considered), if you feel someone else should be in there, add them to your list. I'll give this a couple of days and then move on to the other positions.

Sue Bird
Moriah Jefferson
Renee Montgomery
Jen Rizzotti
Saniya Chong
Maria Conlon
Lorin Dixon
Kennitra Johnson (KJ)
Ketia Swanier
Rita Williams

Have at it.
I liked the order you listed with the exception of the fact that I would have put Maria Conlon ahead of Saniya Chong and I would have had Rita Williams ahead of both of them, behind Jennifer Rizzotti. Well done!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I liked the order you listed with the exception of the fact that I would have put Maria Conlon ahead of Saniya Chong and I would have had Rita Williams ahead of both of them, behind Jennifer Rizzotti. Well done!
Well that order was just alphabetical. Wall players first.

Reaction Score
I go with Moriah over Sue at first but with an asterisk because Moriah played with great players like Stewie and Morgan, while Sue didn't have that compliment of great players with her. :D

Reaction Score
I go with Moriah over Sue at first but with an asterisk because Moriah played with great players like Stewie and Morgan, while Sue didn't have that compliment of great players with her. :D

reno tony- - - -In 2000-2001, Sue's junior year, Shea Ralph and Svet Abrosinova were seniors and Swin Cash, Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, were juniors, and DT was a freshman!
In 2001-2002, they were undefeated and beat OKLA in the Finals with those now seniors and DT as a sophomore!
A pretty good group to rival, Stewie, MoJeff, and Morgan, IMHO!

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
reno tony- - - -In 2000-2001, Sue's junior year, Shea Ralph and Svet Abrosinova were seniors and Swin Cash, Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, were juniors, and DT was a freshman!
In 2001-2002, they were undefeated and beat OKLA in the Finals with those now seniors and DT as a sophomore!
Someone needs a sarcasm alert...

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. Blue is my sarcasm color, just having a little fun during the off-season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom