UConn Outside AP Top 25 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Outside AP Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember in 2010 when we were ranked like 80th preseason? Yeah...these rankings mean nothing.

In 2008-9, UConn was ranked #2 in preseason AP.....and lost in Final Four

2009-10...UConn lost six of their last nine games and went to the NIT

2010-11...not ranked in the AP Preseason poll

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm getting really sick of these voters constantly disrespecting us. They seriously think that a team with the preseason BE POY and multiple projected draft picks isn't worthy of being a top 25 team..?
There were. Number of years we were given the benefit of the doubt in the Ollie years and demonstrated we we didn’t belong. 27 is fine to start. We will earn the rest

Reaction Score
I don’t call it disrespect at this time of year but in some previous years at tourney time we have been often overlooked and disrespected.

Reaction Score
I don’t call it disrespect at this time of year but in some previous years at tourney time we have been often overlooked and disrespected.
Respect is earned, we weren't a tournament team for several seasons and in the past two seasons we lost first round as a 7 seed and a 5 seed.

Reaction Score
Respect is earned, we weren't a tournament team for several seasons and in the past two seasons we lost first round as a 7 seed and a 5 seed.
I'm talking about 11 and 14 and I remember the ESPN tourney shows with us getting dissed.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about 11 and 14 and I remember the ESPN tourney shows with us getting dissed.
They were a #3 seed in 2011. The schedule and conference were a killer but 9 losses and 9-9 in the Big East. What seed do you think they should've gotten?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because they always win. They have the best recruiting but K is gone so we'll see how it goes.
Oh I know. And they do, almost always, win. Kentucky too, even if the kids don't always prove as good as expected. But for everyone saying "UConn has open questions at key positions", not really. UConn has filled every spot with a proven veteran player or more than one. We have fewer "questions" than many of the teams on the list, including Villanova, who like Duke, also has to replace a HOF coach. We just aren't trendy and cool again yet.

Reaction Score
Oh I know. And they do, almost always, win. Kentucky too, even if the kids don't always prove as good as expected. But for everyone saying "UConn has open questions at key positions", not really. UConn has filled every spot with a proven veteran player or more than one. We have fewer "questions" than many of the teams on the list, including Villanova, who like Duke, also has to replace a HOF coach. We just aren't trendy and cool again yet.

Nothing would make me happier to see Scheyer run that place into the ground

Reaction Score
You become “trendy and cool” by winning and making tournament runs. We haven’t done that really since 2014. Yeah we got a bit dissed that year. We were better than a 7. But extenuating circumstances like a new league that nobody could quite figure how to evaluate, and a lot of parity nationally that year ( remember Kentucky was an 8). There really was no dominant team.

Reaction Score
Losing in the first round was a killer the past 2 years. Just one sweet 16 run in the past 2 years would've totally changed perception. Tournament success this season is a must.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You become “trendy and cool” by winning and making tournament runs. We haven’t done that really since 2014. Yeah we got a bit dissed that year. We were better than a 7. But extenuating circumstances like a new league that nobody could quite figure how to evaluate, and a lot of parity nationally that year ( remember Kentucky was an 8). There really was no dominant team.
Ok, and that's different than now for Villanova and Duke? Both just lost HOF coaches, that's a big caution sign. Duke has only Roach returning. Villanova is in better shape, especially if Moore returns, but it has some questions on top of coach. These polls are a mix of very bad guesswork and popularity, nothing more.

Reaction Score
The point is beating Stonehill, BU Del State, etc gets you zero. It just means you didn’t lose to the lowest of the low. And it hurts how you are perceived if, heaven forbid, you lose to one. Especially in light of our history after 2014.

Ok, still not the point. Can you maybe figure it out?

Reaction Score
Aside from the Dukes and Kentuckys that rake in new five-star talent every year, a lot of the voters’ mindset is on what is reliable: past performance of returning players.

UConn doesn’t have a lot of proven returners, which I’m fine with and I think the rating is fair. I’d put them somewhere in the early 20s, personally.

Overall, I like this team. Maybe my projection is a little lower than where it was at the start of last year, but I’m excited for the ride to start!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ok, and that's different than now for Villanova and Duke? Both just lost HOF coaches, that's a big caution sign. Duke has only Roach returning. Villanova is in better shape, especially if Moore returns, but it has some questions on top of coach. These polls are a mix of very bad guesswork and popularity, nothing more.
Duke has the best recruiting class in the country. Nova brings back 3 starters(4 with Moore), a top 10 recruit, and other talented players. It’s really not that difficult to understand.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Duke has the best recruiting class in the country. Nova brings back 3 starters(4 with Moore), a top 10 recruit, and other talented players. It’s really not that difficult to understand.
Ok. So if UConn loses its best players this year and brings in a top 3 recruiting class (as we have) we will be top 10?

Reaction Score
I feel nobody knows what we have or how good or bad we are.

So many new pieces and unknowns.

Am I missing something? How does everyone say anything. Nobody has seen this team at all.

I will wait and see before having a opinion.

Reaction Score
Ok. So if UConn loses its best players this year and brings in a top 3 recruiting class (as we have) we will be top 10?
A couple of NCAA tournament wins would go a long way toward showing voters that UConn is legit. When you don't win any tourney games for years, it's easy for voters to consider the team irrelevant.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No, because our best recruit in that class would be tied for 4th at best in Dukes current recruiting class. Go look at how ridiculous their class is.

Reaction Score
No, because our best recruit in that class would be tied for 4th at best in Dukes current recruiting class. Go look at how ridiculous their class is.
If you exclude Duke's top 3 recruits (#1, #2, and #4), their remaining class coming in is still better than our "top 3 class" next year.

22, 27, 69 vs.
20, 41, 71, 120*, 131 (*only ranked on 247).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If you exclude Duke's top 3 recruits (#1, #2, and #4), their remaining class coming in is still better than our "top 3 class" next year.

22, 27, 69 vs.
20, 41, 71, 120*, 131 (*only ranked on 247).
It’s an absurd class. They clearly belong in the top 10 on talent alone. If we had these kids, we’d be crying top 5.

Reaction Score
People around here acting like this is some wild disrespect need to get a grip.

We have been solid top 20-30 team for two years, flamed out both times early in NCAAs, lost a ton of seniors/draft talent, brought in a bunch of unknowns and freshmen.

Until you earn a rep for winning important games,(we haven't in Big East or NCAA) we are right where we belong, and we need to elevate our game and show it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom