UConn out on Valdir Manuel | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn out on Valdir Manuel

Reaction Score
Loosing Kofi really hurts. I hope lessons were learned.. We had a lot of eggs in the Kofi basket.

Hurley doesn't need to learn any lessons. I don't think you realize how hard it was to recruit in the AAC after two losing seasons. We are in a much better position to recruit for 2020 then for 2019. It's not like the staff fell asleep at the wheel and just recruited Kofi, but they had a late start because of the hire date.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't need to learn any lessons. I don't think you realize how hard it was to recruit in the AAC after two losing seasons. We are in a much better position to recruit for 2020 then for 2019. It's not like the staff fell asleep at the wheel and just recruited Kofi, but they had a late start because of the hire date.

Imagine landing three out of your four primary targets in the top 100 coming off a year where your predecessor threw the program's reputation in the toilet, you're playing in a total dung hole of a conference against schools like East Carolina and people are mad you missed one of them.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We are in really good shape with multiple Top 50 players for 2020. Let it play out. Big East news really is helping.

Hurts for 2019 no doubt. A lot of small ball.
Besides maybe Jackson do you really believe we lead with any of these kids? Why aren’t they mentioning us more in interviews? why aren’t recruiting gurus linking us more often with some of these kids? why aren’t there more players taking unofficials? Xavier seems to be confident in Lane; Cliff, Cam and Lance all still seem like long shots to me. Hate to sound like a pessimist but it seems like we are behind where we were last year.

Reaction Score
Besides maybe Jackson do you really believe we lead with any of these kids? Why aren’t they mentioning us more in interviews? why aren’t recruiting gurus linking us more often with some of these kids? why aren’t there more players taking unofficials? Xavier seems to be confident in Lane; Cliff, Cam and Lance all still seem like long shots to me. Hate to sound like a pessimist but it seems like we are behind where we were last year.

Lead? Hard to say. Fairly in the mix or better? Yes.

I don't listen to interviews, no comment there.

The insiders are linking us w these players. It's just in private because of how much they get roasted when a kid changes his mind on this board. Zion used to be much more active on here, for one example.

We just moved to the big east a month ago. Kids are unbelievably busy through August. Visits will happen in the fall. Give it time.

Xavier is condident in Lane. Of the 4 recruits you mention, he's probably the least likely. The other 3 are far from longshots. I know for as close to a fact as possible in recruiting that Cliff is barely, if ever, being contacted by Kentucky and Jackson has had his eye on UConn since May.

We're not behind. Our first commitments weren't until September for 2019. And better players commit later--the timeline is pushed back every year for top 100 players. Some kids commit on official visits or shortly after, some wait until the hs season is starting, others until the spring. No one is commiting in July without a visit a week after peach jam

Reaction Score
Xavier seems to be confident in Lane; Cliff, Cam and Lance all still seem like long shots to me

even if this turns out to be the case...i'd still be optimistic about idk...

SG-mashburn
SF- jackson
PF- lewis or springs
C- cardwell

beyond that is when it starts getting a bit dicey...

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm assuming your kids are bigger than these...?

Looks great against middle schoolers. Except for that drive at about 1:00 into it, where he took 4 complete steps through traffic after picking up his dribble. That didn't look good at all.

Reaction Score
Looks great against middle schoolers. Except for that drive at about 1:00 into it, where he took 4 complete steps through traffic after picking up his dribble. That didn't look good at all.

Only a travel if they blow the whistle ;)

Reaction Score
even if this turns out to be the case...i'd still be optimistic about idk...

SG-mashburn
SF- jackson
PF- lewis or springs
C- cardwell

beyond that is when it starts getting a bit dicey...

Throughbacks list from the 90s?

Reaction Score
We are in really good shape with multiple Top 50 players for 2020. Let it play out. Big East news really is helping.

This makes me feel better. Thanks.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He’s a 2020 has to do another year at the Juco I coach At. TCU Rutgers Oklahoma West Virginia N.C. State are all kinda messing with him. We want him to go somewhere and redshirt just turned 19 July 7th. Redshirt and play two.

Tough to judge a young big, because they so often compete against smaller players. That being said, your guy looks pike he moves well and has good movement around the basket. Whether that holds up against defenders his size and bigger... who knows? He does look more ready than Manuel though.

C

Chief00

At some point, we need to start being UConn on the court again. Manuel would have had immediate impact and was worth far more to this team than an extra scholarship. This one hurts. His grades must really suck.
Chief won’t go there.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

My Bucs are about to blow a game to the Phillies so this is the juice that sustains me.

Jackson, Thomas, Cliff, Lane.

Lets announce our presence with authority. (Bonus points for those of you who love Bull Durham and understand the Nuke LaLooche reference)

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
My Bucs are about to blow a game to the Phillies so this is the juice that sustains me.

Lets announce our presence with authority. (Bonus points for those of you who love Bull Durham and understand the Nuke LaLooche reference)

Hope those guys are first ball fastball hitters....

Reaction Score
- Akok is a huge improvement in rim protection and rebounding over Polley, who is better suited to guard the 3 or soft stretch 4s than some of the 4s he had to guard this year
Polley is the definition of “soft stretch 4”.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Wasn’t there an article a few weeks back that mentioned the staff was possibly looking over seas for a big?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I was paying attention to Susan Sarandon.

Reaction Score
Would've loved this guy but I'm telling everyone, Whaley is going to surprise us. He's put in tons of work this summer and he'll be a very serviceable backup big. I think he'll give us 15 mpg, provide some energy off the bench, and play solid defense. One thing he has that you really can't teach is a good feel for the game. His overall skill may be slightly lacking but he has an above average IQ and he knows where to be on the floor.

Reaction Score
Would've loved this guy but I'm telling everyone, Whaley is going to surprise us. He's put in tons of work this summer and he'll be a very serviceable backup big. I think he'll give us 15 mpg, provide some energy off the bench, and play solid defense. One thing he has that you really can't teach is a good feel for the game. His overall skill may be slightly lacking but he has an above average IQ and he knows where to be on the floor.
Is that really true, though? Because Hurley got picked up on hot mics yelling at Whaley to get to the right spot/learn the plays basically every time he was on the court

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom