UConn out on Valdir Manuel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn out on Valdir Manuel

Reaction Score
The 2020 class might be the most important recruiting class in UConn history. That feels dramatic to type, but I really believe it.

3 out of the 4 need to be top targets. (we will have 4 schollys if Alterique leaves)

Give me:

Cam
Andre
Richie
Cliff

Reaction Score
Lol, stuck with what we have?
Ya Stuck with what we have. I'm not a Whaley fan. He's an undersized foul machine who cant shoot. I think Carlton and Akok will be a good duo but they will need rest and foul trouble. Unless Whaley improves a lot he is a liability. imo

Reaction Score
Amazing how many people are taking the "didn't really want him anyway" approach all of a sudden.

Reaction Score
Amazing how many people are taking the "didn't really want him anyway" approach all of a sudden.

And how quickly people are trying to talk themselves into the idea of Whaley being our backup center is good enough lol

Reaction Score
-Well I for one liked him, but he's not going to be a significant needle mover.

-I've always been in the camp that we should bank the scholarship and lose our MFing minds next year on the recruiting trail

-Anyone who thinks Whaley is a viable backup center needs to visit a doctor. We're going to struggle down low. Just is the way it is.

Reaction Score
-Well I for one liked him, but he's not going to be a significant needle mover.

-I've always been in the camp that we should bank the scholarship and lose our MFing minds next year on the recruiting trail

-Anyone who thinks Whaley is a viable backup center needs to visit a doctor. We're going to struggle down low. Just is the way it is.
That's where I'm at. Get a badarse class for when we step into the Big East but down low remains a huge problem for us.

Reaction Score
other than the USF kid & Wiseman, who are the Bigs we need to worry about in conference play?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would rather have him. Hopefully we can find at least a live body grad transfer. It doesn't cost us anything since it leaves the scholarship open in 2020.

Whaley reportedly up over 220 pounds, so I think he can probably fill in for 10 minutes a game. He's a good shotblocker and rebounder. We aren't looking for offense from a backup 5. The main issue is what happens if Josh has foul trouble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
other than the USF kid & Wiseman, who are the Bigs we need to worry about in conference play?

WSU has an effective big guy, but that's about it.

Reaction Score

Ugh dude don't do that. We're going to be bashed on the boards.

We've got great back court depth - but it's just gonna be an entire season of Josh Carlton having to be scooped up off the floor with a spatula after games. And if he gets hurt - oh boy.

I still think banking the scholarship is the better move. At this point, you don't make a 2-3 year scholarship decision on a player who's really not going to be a bedrock kinda player. I think the Big East move reinforces that.

Reaction Score
To me, it was important to have a competent backup center in 2020-2021 (So not this year, next) when we make our next big run as dictated by the roster and experience. Coincidentally it will also be our big splash in the Big East.

Which ideally meant bringing someone in for this year who could be ready for decent minutes in Hurley's system by next year as a sophomore instead of a raw freshman.

The move to the Big East somewhat lessens that acute need to really make an impactful NCAA run, as just being competent in the Big East will help our recruiting as much as a tourny run in the AAC would.

And maybe that boost has already been realized and will pay dividends soon, making the run in '20-'21 less important than just recruiting the best longterm talent.

Reaction Score
Are there even any grad transfers left at this point? Either way would much rather have the scholly for next season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ya Stuck with what we have. I'm not a Whaley fan. He's an undersized foul machine who cant shoot. I think Carlton and Akok will be a good duo but they will need rest and foul trouble. Unless Whaley improves a lot he is a liability. imo
Carlton improved dramatically at the start of the year and then though out the season. It's a good bet that that trend line continues. I'm not sure of what Akok will do. His size and his work with Sal makes me hopeful though. I'd expect that he'll get some rebounds, be a decent help defender, and stretch the floor on offense. I'm hopeful that Whaley's additional size will help him box out and hold his position. We are in a better position down low than we have been in years. IMHO.

Reaction Score
Carlton improved dramatically at the start of the year and then though out the season. It's a good bet that that trendline continues. I'm not sure of what Akok will do. His size and his work with Sal makes me helpful though. I'd expect that he'll get some rebounds, be a decent help defender, and stretch the floor on offense. I'm hopeful that Whaley's additional size will help him box out and hold his position. We are in a better position down low than we have been in years. IMHO.
I hope your right. I'm definitely hoping for a better year.

Reaction Score
Barring injury, our defense should improve no matter what.

- Our worst defensive guard (Jalen) led the team in MPG last year
- Whaley is undersized, but it's borderline impossible to be worse than Cobb was on defense
- Akok is a huge improvement in rim protection and rebounding over Polley, who is better suited to guard the 3 or soft stretch 4s than some of the 4s he had to guard this year

Reaction Score
Loosing Kofi really hurts. I hope lessons were learned.. We had a lot of eggs in the Kofi basket.

Reaction Score
Maybe he wasn’t making the grades needed in summer school to gain admission. That seemed to be the sticking point originally, right? I would have preferred to have him this year for depth but don’t think it’s the end of the world. I expect Hurley will use the spot for someone even better.
"Maybe he wasn’t making the grades needed in summer school to gain admission"
Very possible since he didn't commit anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom