UConn opponents 2012 | The Boneyard

UConn opponents 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is a great deal of talk of Baylor, perhaps Duke being our only "real" competition.

I worry about Notre Dame. Sure they lost a lot but with the addition of Ms. Mabrey, they have three potential barn-burning guards, two of them remarkable playmakers as well, and if any pair of them are on fire at any particular time, they can make life miserable for any opponent with 3's raining down from all sides of the court.

Watch out for these guys.
They've got a smarty pants coach as well, beat us black and blue last year; it'll be interesting to see if she figures out how to run an offense around this talent. Don't bet that she won't.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There is a great deal of talk of Baylor, perhaps Duke being our only "real" competition.

I worry about Notre Dame. Sure they lost a lot but with the addition of Ms. Mabrey, they have three potential barn-burning guards, two of them remarkable playmakers as well, and if any pair of them are on fire at any particular time, they can make life miserable for any opponent with 3's raining down from all sides of the court.

They've got a smarty pants coach as well, beat us black and blue last year; it'll be interesting to see if she figures out how to run an offense around this talent. Don't bet that she won't.

What is a barn-burning guard? Mabrey is a very good player, but not exceptionally quick. And I would compare UConn's guards favorable with anyone ND can put on the floor.

Diggins, McBride, Loyd, Maybry are terrific. But you have 2 freshman that you are relying on. Always a challenge against a tough defensive team like UConn.

UConn has Hartley, Faris, Doty, Jefferson, Banks.

At worse it's a wash.

Now, here is the problem that ND will have vs UConn. Their front line. It's small and inexpereinced and not particularly talented.

Has Achonwa improved that much? She was streaky at best. Dolson ate her up every time they were matched up. ND has no one else off the bench wtih size. Braker, a 6'1" forward that played very limited minutes last year with 7 a game and not much at all in competative games. Similarly, Wright, a 6'2" forward, had only 10 mintues a game and not very effective against better teams.

That's IT. 3 players over 6' tall. They will be facing Dolson, 6'5", Stokes, 6'3", Stewart 6'4", Tuck 6'2" and Lewis 6'.

When UConn doesn't have to defend the post, they destroy perimeter based offensives.

Worry away....lol. I just don't see it. They had their glory the last two years. UConn will be getting revenge.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Please tell me you're joking.

Notre Dame did not beat UConn "black and blue" last year. They played four games, three of which were extremely close. Of those those three games, UConn won one and had leads in the final minute of regulation in the other two. Notre Dame was the better team...by an extremely thin margin.

After being the better team by an extremely thin margin, they lost players who represented the heart and soul of their team, two of whom were first-round WNBA draft picks. UConn lost a very valuable piece in Tiffany Hayes, but is otherwise intact, with critical underclassmen becoming upperclassmen, and critical freshmen becoming sophomores. And that's not even accounting for the players who are coming in. There's a very good chance that even without the freshmen, UConn will be better this year than they were last year. Notre Dame is not going to be as good as they were last year, and the fact that you're citing an incoming freshman that hasn't shown an ability to create her own shot is evidence of that.

By the way, that "smarty pants" coach went nine consecutive seasons not making it past the Sweet 16 after winning the NC in 2001. Pretty happy with the smarty pants UConn has as its HC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Has Achonwa improved that much?
I think the answer to this question is Yes. The Canada games I saw from the Olympics showed a more confident player with more development than I expected.
I still agree with the rest of your post - ND is going to have a hard time against big talented front lines, their freshman will have typical growing pains, and I will be surprised if they really challenge for a final four spot.
But they also do have a very good coach.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Muffet is a very good coach. It just staggers me when people think coaching is going to be a difference maker over UConn, which has a coach who's on a 19-season streak of never losing consecutive games, winning at least 25 games, finishing in the top 10 in the final poll, getting to at least the Sweet 16 of the NCAAs, and winning at least one version of the league championship...and built a perennial contender in freaking Storrs, CT. If you want to cite team talent/personnel in a given year, that's one thing, but a coaching advantage over Geno?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
By the way: Its ok to discuss other teams on this thread.

I give you permission.

And I agree that UConn's front line is going to give ND and everyone else unsolvable fits but really admire the Irish' recruitment in guards. You all know what Geno says about guards.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Muffet is a very good coach. It just staggers me when people think coaching is going to be a difference maker over UConn, which has a coach who's on a 19-season streak of never losing consecutive games, winning at least 25 games, finishing in the top 10 in the final poll, getting to at least the Sweet 16 of the NCAAs, and winning at least one version of the league championship...and built a perennial contender in freaking Storrs, CT. If you want to cite team talent/personnel in a given year, that's one thing, but a coaching advantage over Geno?
I am not saying Muffit will be able to outcoach Geno or that she can take inferior talent and win a NC. But she is one of a handful of really good WCBB coaches who can get the most out of her roster, and can adapt her coaching to emphasize the talent she does have and hide their weaknesses. ('and I will be surprised if they really challenge for a final four spot')

Reaction Score
This reminds me a bit of the argument of some a year ago: "We beat ND 3/4 times last year, and so we'll beat them again." I never understood how that meshed with losing one of the best WCBB players ever ... and sure enough we lost 3/4.

I think ND will be good, and they certainly have one of the best guards, best game changers in the country. But I do think they lost a lot from last year, and I expect us to sweep them. And they should have trouble against big teams. But Diggins is a wild card.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
By the way: Its ok to discuss other teams on this thread.

I give you permission.

And I agree that UConn's front line is going to give ND and everyone else unsolvable fits but really admire the Irish' recruitment in guards. You all know what Geno says about guards.

Since you didn't quote anyone, it's just a guess who you are talking to about discussing other teams. Not sure what you even mean by this. Permission?

I also know what Geno says about freshman guards.

Hartley this year will make the same leap that Diggins did her soph-junior year. I just don't see the huge gap here. Faris, Doty, Banks and Jefferson vs McBride, Loyd and Maybary? I like Uconn's advantage here, especially defensively and experience wise.

If it's about the guards, I'll go with UConn.

And as Alex said so well, the games were close last year, and UConn will be better while ND will be worse.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This reminds me a bit of the argument of some a year ago: "We beat ND 3/4 times last year, and so we'll beat them again." I never understood how that meshed with losing one of the best WCBB players ever ... and sure enough we lost 3/4.

I think ND will be good, and they certainly have one of the best guards, best game changers in the country. But I do think they lost a lot from last year, and I expect us to sweep them. And they should have trouble against big teams. But Diggins is a wild card.

It should be interesting to see how Diggins handles not have the security of the graduating players there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND lost a lot of senior leadership last year, including Peters, who I think is more like 6'3" or 6'4" (not the 6'2" they had her listed as). I like Achonwa a lot. I think she's going to be very solid and the experience at the Olympics will only help her. And ND has some terrific guards, two of them freshmen as was pointed out. Of course it remains to be seen how this year unfolds, but I'd be very surprised (almost shocked) if ND were able to keep it to within 10 points vs. UCONN. The next 3 years, UCONN is going to trot out an unreal amount of talent. Even after Stef and Bria graduate, can you imagine a team of Jefferson, KML, Tuck, Stewart and Stokes on the court?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

"black and blue "??? Why do you set out to poke in your posts...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought some of Alex's points are worthy of additional emphasis, because they are so mind-boggling.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From what I have seen, Kelly's been working out with some NBA'ers this off-season: Jeff Teague, George Hill, etc. I have a feeling a very determined Ms. Faris will make life very uncomfortable for others this season.
Good for OMNU. She's a stud.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...Now, here is the problem that ND will have vs UConn... It's small and inexpereinced and not particularly talented...had their glory...

Irish 3.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
I like our chances against ND........Diggins is good , no question about that. Problem is , she can't play all 5 positions. The expected help , Loyd and others, are all similar guards . ND was a good team last year with Peters and Novosel. Players that are going to be hard to replace , especially defensively.

We got a LOT better since last year and ND has not.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
From what I have seen, Kelly's been working out with some NBA'ers this off-season: Jeff Teague, George Hill, etc. I have a feeling a very determined Ms. Faris will make life very uncomfortable for others this season.

Speaking of, I expect Notre Dame's starting lineup to look a lot like UConn's from 2011-2012...a guard-heavy lineup, a guard/wing playing power forward, and one true post player in the starting lineup.

Notre Dame will struggle in the post. Losing Malina Howard to Maryland really hurts in this regard. Muffet's teams are always well coached, compete hard, and usually overachieve relative to seed and expectations in the NCAA Tournament, but I see the Irish struggling early.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ND lost a lot of senior leadership last year, including Peters, who I think is more like 6'3" or 6'4" (not the 6'2" they had her listed as). I like Achonwa a lot. I think she's going to be very solid and the experience at the Olympics will only help her. And ND has some terrific guards, two of them freshmen as was pointed out. Of course it remains to be seen how this year unfolds, but I'd be very surprised (almost shocked) if ND were able to keep it to within 10 points vs. UCONN. The next 3 years, UCONN is going to trot out an unreal amount of talent. Even after Stef and Bria graduate, can you imagine a team of Jefferson, KML, Tuck, Stewart and Stokes on the court?

IMO, from watching the Minny games, 6'2" appears to be about right for Dev when I see Brunson or Taj out there with her

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I like our chances against ND........Diggins is good , no question about that. Problem is , she can't play all 5 positions. The expected help , Loyd and others, are all similar guards . ND was a good team last year with Peters and Novosel. Players that are going to be hard to replace , especially defensively.

We got a LOT better since last year and ND has not.

ND is another opponent where having Stewart will pay double dividends, since Kelly is free to concentrate on an AA-caliber perimeter player--Diggins--if that's where Geno chooses to deploy her when she's on the floor.

Jewell Loyd will be interesting to watch.......

Reaction Score
I'm predicting Diggins will not have as good a year as last year. Opponents will be able to concentrate on her more on defense without Mallory & Novasel to worry about. She'll be changing hair styles in 4 minute increments.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm predicting Diggins will not have as good a year as last year. Opponents will be able to concentrate on her more on defense without Mallory & Novasel to worry about. She'll be changing hair styles in 4 minute increments.

Agree. She will have much more direct pressure. And as regards an earlier comment from someone I thought Achonwa took a step backwards last season in the games I saw.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Agree. She will have much more direct pressure. And as regards an earlier comment from someone I thought Achonwa took a step backwards last season in the games I saw.

She basically had the same stats in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Around 7 ppg and 5 rpg and 55%. She needs to do alot better next year.

She did have a couple of nice games in the Olympic, but overall, she is the same player she's been.

A good backup center. Can she take the next step and become a solid BE starting center and average 12-15 points and 7-9 rebounds a game? ND will need that from her.

Reaction Score
Achonwa averaged 17 minutes per game last season. If she plays 27 minutes per game scoring and rebounding at the same rate that is 12 points and 7 rebounds per game. Stefanie Dolson's stats were basically the same as freshman and sophomore too. Not that uncommon at all for players who don't change roles from season to season.

She basically had the same stats in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Around 7 ppg and 5 rpg and 55%. She needs to do alot better next year.

She did have a couple of nice games in the Olympic, but overall, she is the same player she's been.

A good backup center. Can she take the next step and become a solid BE starting center and average 12-15 points and 7-9 rebounds a game? ND will need that from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom