UConn opens as 14 point underdog to Vanderbilt on 10/2/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn opens as 14 point underdog to Vanderbilt on 10/2/21

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While I'm an optimist, I share some level of your concerns that maybe Wyoming took us for granted, some things broke right for us, etc.
That said, we did things that made Wyoming commit those fouls and played like we had some confidence for a change. We really looked like we had good players who believed they could win and it seemed they were excited about the plays being called.
Don't get me wrong, our guys looked FAR more competent and fired up. I just wouldn't go so far as to say they outplayed the Cowboys.

Reaction Score
We were down arguably our 2 best defensive players to injury, keep in mind. Also, there was a drive for Wyoming where they should've had to punt but a penalty prolonged that drive and ended up scoring a FG.

Reaction Score
Wow, one game makes a difference in national perception. A week ago we'd be 4-5 TD underdogs.
No it does not, nor would that be the line a week ago. Vandy is HORRENDOUS. They lost to a FCS by 20 points.

Reaction Score
No it does not, nor would that be the line a week ago. Vandy is HORRENDOUS. They lost to a FCS by 20 points.
That FCS team wasn't that awful - ETSU is currently ranked #14 among FCS schools.

Vandy also beat Colorado St the following week, who just gave #5 Iowa a tough game.

If we hadn't put up such a good fight against Wyoming we'd be much bigger underdogs IMO. But we finally showed some teeth.

Reaction Score
That FCS team wasn't that awful - ETSU is currently ranked #14 among FCS schools.

Vandy also beat Colorado St the following week, who just gave #5 Iowa a tough game.

If we hadn't put up such a good fight against Wyoming we'd be much bigger underdogs IMO. But we finally showed some teeth.
Losing to a good FCS by 20 is inexcusable for a P5 team. Colorado St also got blown out by an FCS team, they stink.

Vanderbilt is horrible. If UConn would have been a 4 to 5 TD dog to them we should shut the program down.

Losing a close game at home to an unranked team does not move the needle much, if anything the line came down due to the 65-0 score against UGA last week.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least we'll be starting a scholarship QB.

Reaction Score

UConn scored some points!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You call that mugging in the corner of the end zone a mismatch? Our receiver was tackled before the ball even got there.
No need to mug him if he thought he could play him straight up

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No need to mug him if he thought he could play him straight up
He could've played him straight up. Defender was there well before the pass arrived.

Reaction Score
While I'm an optimist, I share some level of your concerns that maybe Wyoming took us for granted, some things broke right for us, etc.
That said, we did things that made Wyoming commit those fouls and played like we had some confidence for a change. We really looked like we had good players who believed they could win and it seemed they were excited about the plays being called.
Your take is where I stand as well. Wyoming taking UConn for granted and possibly being worn out from the long trip. Plus everything broke UConn's way. There is no question if these 2 teams played 10 times, Wyoming is winning at least 9 of those times.

I see people posting here that Vanderbilt is a game that UConn has a good chance to win. I don't, I certainly hope so. But I can tell you Vanderbilt is looking at UConn as a very winnable game as well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
While I think UConn will cover vs Vandy and possibly win a road game, I'll note that IMO, Wyoming outplayed UConn for the most part, but penalties did them in.

1st FG doesn't happen if not for a PI on 3rd & 3.
1st TD maybe doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that resulted in an auto 1st down.
2nd FG doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that overturned a WYO interception.
2nd TD doesn't happen if not for a PI on 4th & 9, a second PI on 3rd and 10, and a third PI on 4th & 4 near the goal line.

Meantime, WYO's offense and run game just bullied UConn throughout the 2nd half. I'd be inclined to say UConn got more than a bit lucky, although to be fair, I think the 2nd PI on the final drive would've been caught for a 14 yard gain.
Who is to say that they wouldn’t have completed the plays without the penalties though?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is where I look at things- it is too rash to judge this team has turned a corner in 1 1/2 quarters. We HAVE seen incremental improvement. The D has improved, Tyler Phommachanh has injected life with his legs and the play calling is on a different galaxy then before. I can't remember the last 2 minute drive the ended in a TD.
We still need to sustain drives and when something goes awry on D, have the guts to stand up on the next down and make a stop. Vandy on the road is still a road game and we need to start well to keep the momentum going. I won't be surprised if we win and I won't be surprised if we lose by 2 touchdowns. Remember, the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Who is to say that they wouldn’t have completed the plays without the penalties though?
The video. Of the three on the final drive, 1st is not caught, 2nd might be, 3rd should've been an easy defend.

Reaction Score
While I think UConn will cover vs Vandy and possibly win a road game, I'll note that IMO, Wyoming outplayed UConn for the most part, but penalties did them in.

1st FG doesn't happen if not for a PI on 3rd & 3.
1st TD maybe doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that resulted in an auto 1st down.
2nd FG doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that overturned a WYO interception.
2nd TD doesn't happen if not for a PI on 4th & 9, a second PI on 3rd and 10, and a third PI on 4th & 4 near the goal line.

Meantime, WYO's offense and run game just bullied UConn throughout the 2nd half. I'd be inclined to say UConn got more than a bit lucky, although to be fair, I think the 2nd PI on the final drive would've been caught for a 14 yard gain.
Plen

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Penalties are part of the game ! Wyoming was playing our receivers very tight and physical that their style which is going to result in penalties.
Obvious statement aside, that still doesn't track with UConn outplaying Wyoming, which is the only assertion I've been trying to make. Wyoming ran at will for three quarters. If this was a 12-round boxing match judged in 5 minute increments, I'd score it 7-4-1 Wyoming. Maybe 6-4-2.

Reaction Score
Anything could happen vs Vandy. If we play well we can win. If not, another 5+ TD blowout is possible. I think the team gives another inspired effort and pulls off the win. Vandy will be feeling a lot of pressure not to lose to UConn in front of their fans. That may work to our advantage.

Empty stands do not put a lot of pressure on Vandy FB to win. I would be shocked if 10k fans show up to see this game. For SEC games in Nashville visiting fans usually outnumber Vandy fans by a good margin.

This is not meant to be a cheap shot at Vandy. My second child is a proud alumna and I have a soft spot in my heart for all the $'s I sent there.

Reaction Score
If we score first, we have a great shot at winning this. I’m pumped! On the way up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom