UConn opens as 14 point underdog to Vanderbilt on 10/2/21 | The Boneyard

UConn opens as 14 point underdog to Vanderbilt on 10/2/21

Reaction Score
Vandy is not good and this is a chance for UConn to do something good on the road.
You set a low bar, something like a chef bragging that his Chateaubriand might be more desirable than a competitor's chuck roast.

Reaction Score
Look at the ranking numbers of Wyoming and Vanderbilt. Wyoming is 71, Vandy is 122. We outplayed Wyoming you could say and can argue should have one, losing by 2. Vandy has lost 14 of 15 I think coming off a 63-0 thrashing, albeit to Georgia but they are likely beat up and confidence has to be low.

Our confidence is at a season high now and the kids have to believe strongly that they can win this game.....take the 14 points!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While I think UConn will cover vs Vandy and possibly win a road game, I'll note that IMO, Wyoming outplayed UConn for the most part, but penalties did them in.

1st FG doesn't happen if not for a PI on 3rd & 3.
1st TD maybe doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that resulted in an auto 1st down.
2nd FG doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that overturned a WYO interception.
2nd TD doesn't happen if not for a PI on 4th & 9, a second PI on 3rd and 10, and a third PI on 4th & 4 near the goal line.

Meantime, WYO's offense and run game just bullied UConn throughout the 2nd half. I'd be inclined to say UConn got more than a bit lucky, although to be fair, I think the 2nd PI on the final drive would've been caught for a 14 yard gain.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
While I think UConn will cover vs Vandy and possibly win a road game, I'll note that IMO, Wyoming outplayed UConn for the most part, but penalties did them in.

1st TD maybe doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that resulted in an auto 1st down.
2nd FG doesn't happen if not for a roughing call that overturned a WYO interception.
2nd TD doesn't happen if not for a PI on 4th & 9, a second PI on 3rd and 10, and a third PI on 4th & 4 near the goal line.

Meantime, WYO's offense and run game just bullied UConn throughout the 2nd half. I'd be inclined to say UConn got more than a bit lucky, although to be fair, I think the 2nd PI on the final drive would've been caught for a 14 yard gain.
True, but those PIs don't happen if UConn didn't have a mismatch and a QB who could actually take advantage of it.

Baby steps.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The roughing the passer personal fouls were huge for UConn keeping the ball.

ALL those pass interference calls were no brainers and kept UConn's receivers from making a play on the ball. You can't fault UConn only getting the yards due to a penalty when if not for the penalty UConn would have gotten the yards anyway.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
True, but those PIs don't happen if UConn didn't have a mismatch and a QB who could actually take advantage of it.

Baby steps.
You call that mugging in the corner of the end zone a mismatch? Our receiver was tackled before the ball even got there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
ALL those pass interference calls were no brainers and kept UConn's receivers from making a play on the ball. You can't fault UConn only getting the yards due to a penalty when if not for the penalty UConn would have gotten the yards anyway.
I only think one of those (2nd PI on final drive) would've been caught. The PI in the end zone was just ridiculous. That should've been a relatively easy pass defend w/o the penalty for mugging.

Reaction Score
Anything could happen vs Vandy. If we play well we can win. If not, another 5+ TD blowout is possible. I think the team gives another inspired effort and pulls off the win. Vandy will be feeling a lot of pressure not to lose to UConn in front of their fans. That may work to our advantage.

Reaction Score

While I'm an optimist, I share some level of your concerns that maybe Wyoming took us for granted, some things broke right for us, etc.
That said, we did things that made Wyoming commit those fouls and played like we had some confidence for a change. We really looked like we had good players who believed they could win and it seemed they were excited about the plays being called.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom