UConn Open House and Fan Fest -April 6th (10a-1p) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Open House and Fan Fest -April 6th (10a-1p)

Reaction Score
It’s people like you who are continuing to kill the program.
Somehow Whaler, despite your incessant love of vitriol, I'm always interested in your cynical musings. So, people like me are killing the program? I don't think so. People like me are enthusiastically supporting the players who happen to grace our sidelines each fall. We're attending games home and away. And we're cheering, booing and second guessing like most fans do. We're donating to the school, the football program and the marching band. We don't like our conference affiliation but understand the reality of the moment. That's actually a good descriptor of people like me, we're realists. What we're not doing is marching with torches to the AD's office.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Somehow Whaler, despite your incessant love of vitriol, I'm always interested in your cynical musings. So, people like me are killing the program? I don't think so. People like me are enthusiastically supporting the players who happen to grace our sidelines each fall. We're attending games home and away. And we're cheering, booing and second guessing like most fans do. We're donating to the school, the football program and the marching band. We don't like our conference affiliation but understand the reality of the moment. That's actually a good descriptor of people like me, we're realists. What we're not doing is marching with torches to the AD's office.

You enthusiastically accept the garbage that the athletic department has been serving for a decade and wrap yourself up in the flag of superfandom while doing that.

You aren’t helping - you are enabling. If you picked up a torch we’d all be better off.

You aren’t realists - you are saps.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You enthusiastically accept the garbage that the athletic department has been serving for a decade and wrap yourself up in the flag of superfandom while doing that.

You aren’t helping - you are enabling. If you picked up a torch we’d all be better off.

I can’t speak for Nostical, but broadly speaking there are a lot of people that tilt positive on this board that are privately much more concerned/negative. Not everyone wants to use this forum to dump on the program - particularly when they feel it may do more harm than good for recruiting.

Reaction Score
You enthusiastically accept the garbage that the athletic department has been serving.
You aren’t realists-you are saps.
That’s pretty funny. You equate support for the program with being a sap. Saps are those who don’t see the obvious flaws. Realists see the flaws but realize the constraints. Exit 4 has it about right.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can’t speak for Nostical, but broadly speaking there are a lot of people that tilt positive on this board that are privately much more concerned/negative. Not everyone wants to use this forum to dump on the program - particularly when they feel it may do more harm than good for recruiting.

I guess you could say I’m ‘dumping on the program’... I’d disagree with that.

I’m calling for the people and infrastructure to be put in place that can make the program competitive. If they aren’t willing to do they should stop futzing around and kill the thing so it stops dragging down the rest of the athletic department.

I guess I’m more modest than other posters to even believe for a second anything I post would influence recruiting. If some think their public positive and private negative approach is somehow a net positive for recruiting - I would suggest the evidence against that is broad and plentiful.

Some guys are happy with free ice cream - I think we can do better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s pretty funny. You equate support for the program with being a sap. Saps are those who don’t see the obvious flaws. Realists see the flaws but realize the constraints.

You are a sap because you excuse the results because of the ‘constraints’. The only constraints are the inept people in place. You want to enable failure knock yourself out. I’m ready for a legitimate big boy program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s pretty funny. You equate support for the program with being a sap. Saps are those who don’t see the obvious flaws. Realists see the flaws but realize the constraints. Exit 4 has it about right.

Exit 4 is essentially saying people post rah rah nonsense they don’t actually believe.

So are you saying you don’t actually believe the rah rah nonsense you post?

Do you really think postint rah rah nonsense helps things? How in the world would posting nonsense you don’t actually believe improve anything?

Reaction Score
Relax. It’s not breaking news that even publicly positive folks have concerns about the program’s direction. I prefer to extol the positive and the possible. You want to be Don Quixote go right ahead.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I guess I’m more modest than other posters to even believe for a second anything I post would influence recruiting. If some think their public positive and private negative approach is somehow a net positive for recruiting - I would suggest the evidence against that is broad and plentiful.

There are a lot of circular argument we could wade into, however it all comes down to the fact the board is influential in a limited way and not everyone wants to spend their public time here emanating pure negatively. I’m not saying that those that do should shut up, but I am saying that it’s probably the case that even the pollyanna types have a different view offline.

As for recruits, this board probably influences their parents and their HS coach more than the kids.... but it’s all part of the stew- no doubt. The board is a top google hit when anyone wants to find UConn football on the web.

As for the fan fest, I wasn’t a fan per se, couldn’t we have played a televised scrimmage at the Shenk? That way we save money but give the players an event to grade themselves.

Hope springs eternal- I will get over the lack of a spring game if this team improves. The big question this season, can Guifre design a vertical passing game to supplement what will be a run dominate roster. And can he call plays... if he stumbles it will give the “fund it or forget it” crowd another example because Guifre to OC is is as much a value play for the payroll as it is a "continuity" play. I’m buying in that the D will be better, but probably no where it needs to be. Need more transfer talent - like DL help to take development pressure off the youngsters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are a sap because you excuse the results because of the ‘constraints’. The only constraints are the inept people in place. You want to enable failure knock yourself out. I’m ready for a legitimate big boy program.
Hard to excuse 1-11. I don’t think anyone on this board in their right mind would say that last year was anything other than abysmal. I think you confuse people’s optimism as somehow being accepting of where we are as a program and wanting to continue getting our heads bashed in by mediocre teams. Optimism for an upcoming season and vitriol for where the program currently lies are not mutually exclusive.
Everyone on here wants a big boy program. We all want to see 40k plus at the Rent. However, reality is what reality is. However, like I’ve stated in the past, I believe we have a responsibility to root for the kids in the program. They want to win as badly as any fan I’m sure because they’re the ones putting in all the work and making the physical and emotional sacrifices. I as a fan respect that. It’s easy to sit back on a board and criticize and bash (even though what’s being said is real and true) when you’re not the one going through the grind. I just want to see effort from the team. Compete to the end. I trust that the coaches are making better hires and recruiting the best kids they can find. Even if that means we have, as some say, FCS talent. That will eventually turn. And yes, Administration needs to step up more and commit resources towards the success of the team.
But I firmly believe that playing in front of 40k people can go a long way (optics-pride) towards being more competitive on the field and helping to sway better recruits. Fans, realists, optimists and pessimists alike all need to understand that asking for a better product on the field also means filling the stadium and becoming part of what we’re asking for. I know you go to the games and most on this board attend. Kudos. However, there are a mixture of 28k more people per weekend that need to understand this. I get being disenchanted as a fan and not wanting to spend the money (tickets, concessions, parking) on an inferior product. But the reality is when you spend more to enhance a product you usually wind up with- a better product. Losing 28-0 at halftime, us fans would want our team to come out in the second half and compete. Whelp, the program is losing 28-0 at halftime....
We can get to big boy status. It just takes a village (and not have more people tailgating than actually in the seats-figurative of course)
Just my 2 cents.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The people you speak to are part of the problem.
It’s people like you who are continuing to kill the program.
Please stop before it’s too late.
I can't agree with this. The loyal core isn't killing the program. Declining ticket sales are telling the story. I seriously doubt that the AD looks at the positive feeling generated by the Open House and thinks "we're good now".

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

1) kids on the team and their parents do see the Boneyard. UConnBill and I were talking to one student who said he gets texts from his mom based off the she reads on The Boneyard.

2) I am sure recruits see it as well but the nature of today's society is people post negativity. I am sure the school warns people but as was said before- people can find anything they want to find.

3) Just because I support the program doesn't mean I am not concerned. I go to games regardless if I am happy because of my affinity to the school and my one time closeness to the school and athletic departments.

4) When I have concern, I talk to the Athletic Director or the President's office. I have an adult conversation and move on. I don't post my conversations, I don't name names. Negative Boneyard posting helps how or who? Quite frankly, posting that people who support UConn are the problem because we don't agree with you is not acceptable. You advocate a boycott without saying it. Don't support the programs because of inept leadership. As fans, unless you are a big donor, you don't get a say and guess what, even if you are a big donor, you get input but no decision making responsibility.

5) Call the Athletic Department or the President's office - request a sit down. Give them your plan. Now you are making something happen. Bashing UConn, its fans, etc. on the Boneyard accomplishes nothing.

Reaction Score
I feel the ceiling for UConn is a 7-5 season in a really good year. I think UConn can consistently be in the 5-7 to 7-5 range. I think that is doable and reasonable expectation for this program.

Reaction Score
If we could have a 6-6 season in 2019 with the tough schedule ahead and UConn goes to a bowl game -- any bowl game -- I personally would be thrilled. Maybe Edsall can get more decent, bright players like the kid from ND who wants to go to grad school in Storrs.

Reaction Score
When I have a concern, I talk to the Athletic Director or the President's office. I have an adult conversation

I agree Hardcore. In Albany last weekend I approached Dave Benedict in the hotel lobby and we had a great conversation about the new AAC TV deal. And after my comment that Auburn’s NCAA Tournament success must be gratifying to DB, he reminded me that Bruce Pearl reached the Elite Eight in his 6th year. “There’s no reason we shouldn’t expect Dan Hurley to achieve that same level of success here given that timeframe”.

Now lets get back to debating the question of the moment: Is remaining positive and realistic about our football fortunes, in the face of open and obvious challenges and constraints, the textbook definition of a sap?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

See we put out a positive outlook but we are worried of course. We don't always have to be the center of attention, that's the difference.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
1) kids on the team and their parents do see the Boneyard. UConnBill and I were talking to one student who said he gets texts from his mom based off the # 2 she reads on The Boneyard.

2) I am sure recruits see it as well but the nature of today's society is people post negativity. I am sure the school warns people but as was said before- people can find anything they want to find.

3) Just because I support the program doesn't mean I am not concerned. I go to games regardless if I am happy because of my affinity to the school and my one time closeness to the school and athletic departments.

4) When I have concern, I talk to the Athletic Director or the President's office. I have an adult conversation and move on. I don't post my conversations, I don't name names. Negative Boneyard posting helps how or who? Quite frankly, posting that people who support UConn are the problem because we don't agree with you is not acceptable. You advocate a boycott without saying it. Don't support the programs because of inept leadership. As fans, unless you are a big donor, you don't get a say and guess what, even if you are a big donor, you get input but no decision making responsibility.

5) Call the Athletic Department or the President's office - request a sit down. Give them your plan. Now you are making something happen. Bashing UConn, its fans, etc. on the Boneyard accomplishes nothing.

I told him to avoid the Boneyard at all cost and to tell their parents to do the same. No one wants to read some of the crap on here, especially when a parent is asking a player if something is right that was stated on the Boneyard.

My Father always said "if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1) kids on the team and their parents do see the Boneyard. UConnBill and I were talking to one student who said he gets texts from his mom based off the # 2 she reads on The Boneyard.

do you guys live in a bubble that doesn’t come in contact with the outside world?

at legitimate programs the message boards and twitter are 5 million times worse.

supporting uconn isnt a problem - supporting the leadership that continues to kill the athletic department is. i mean my god the things the ticket reps said to fans and nobody got publically run out on a rail.

and welcome to 2019 - public discourse does create change and checks power. bully for anyone who thinks getting the same nonsense from herbst personally makes a damn bit of difference.

things like the pee wee hockey arena should be publically shamed out of existence. the fanbase of a legitimate program would have burned the campus to the ground 5 years ago.

but yeah everyone put on a happy face in public and share those concerns behind the scenes. lol - that’s a winning strategy. that’s going to change something.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I

My Father always said "if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all."

We know how bad Malloy is, why not vote for Foley. The rich thing that Malloy is attacking him on is ridiculous considering the governor is selling his house for well over a million dollars. Pretty good for a governor and ex mayor

Yes, let's keep those who elected Malloy and the other dimwits in Hartford because that has gone so well so far.

I'd rather him there then as our governor. No way to Lamont otherwise I am moving south as I watch Connecticut burn.

Still the biggest charade I've seen

Like half the people who post here.

Putterman is a putz

A smarter Vital would have as well. There are times he is very good and other times, he is just bad.

He doesn't deserve the $10 million and that is on him, not UConn. You win and don't commit NCAA violations and you would still have job. This crap show is on Ollie and no one else.

I will tell you from what I heard when this all went down, he wanted the entire $10 million. At that time I would have said give him half, but after everything else, he should get no more than a million maybe two. Not sure he deserves that much

so i’m supposed to listen to your daddy but you don’t have to?

that’s gonna be a pass for me dog.

Reaction Score
I feel the ceiling for UConn is a 7-5 season in a really good year. I think UConn can consistently be in the 5-7 to 7-5 range. I think that is doable and reasonable expectation for this program.

I think 1-11 to 3-9 is a doable and reasonable expectation for HCRE2.0.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree Hardcore. In Albany last weekend I approached Dave Benedict in the hotel lobby and we had a great conversation about the new AAC TV deal. And after my comment that Auburn’s NCAA Tournament success must be gratifying to DB, he reminded me that Bruce Pearl reached the Elite Eight in his 6th year. “There’s no reason we shouldn’t expect Dan Hurley to achieve that same level of success here given that timeframe”.

Now lets get back to debating the question of the moment: Is remaining positive and realistic about our football fortunes, in the face of open and obvious challenges and constraints, the textbook definition of a sap?

Kissing Benedict’s rear end about Auburn while our program is in shambles is the absolute pinnacle of being a sap. That’s legitimately pathetic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom