UConn Open House and Fan Fest -April 6th (10a-1p) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Open House and Fan Fest -April 6th (10a-1p)

Reaction Score
Can anyone who was there give a report on this? I had to work this morning otherwise I would have gone.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
  • There was what I thought might be an instruction/talk by one of the coaches - Spanos I think? The kids didn’t want to head down that way so that’s my best guess.
  • All areas were open to visit - from the locker rooms to offices to cafeteria.
  • Met and chatted with players, coaches etc.
  • Coach Eddie Allen gave us a tour of the second floor.
  • Had a chat with Coach Baylock. He is incredible - I mentioned the town I was from and he rattled off a bunch of stories/information. He is a huge advocate of Edsall.
  • Free swag for the kids.
  • Bouncy houses, cheerleaders painting faces etc.
  • Autograph session.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConnBill and I got there at 10am. The whole facility was open for a self guided tour. I have been in the facility a few times so I did not expect much. I was wrong. While the media room and student lounge was locked, the coaches offices were open. We got to see the reception room where RE meets with recruits and families and got to walk into his office. Everything else looked the same but.....

the locker rooms will be torn down in May and be done by June when the kids come back. The flooring is being replaced in the weight room at that time. The netting on the sides of the practice facility will be coming down.

Matt King and his team talked about the weight lifiting routine for the kids and some of his philosophies. Giufre talked about offense- more teachin technique than anything else and Spanos talked D technique.

We got to talk to the players. I asked what is the difference between Matt King and the previous S & C coach Klein. The players said the energy King brings is the biggest difference. Also, the players on D really liked Spanos D and one offensive linemen said the D is exciting.

Now here is the part the naysayers and doomsday Boneyarders need to hear: Matt King said that our facilities are better than he had at University of Washington and that the football complex was better than most P5 facilities.

Some observations: Travis Jones is down to under 330lbs and a bunch of guys looked like they have filled out. The time in the weight room that is coming up will be huge for the team and the players were excited about things. To me, the coaching changes and staff changes have breathed new air into the program. I felt much better about the direction of the program and truly believe we will be much more competitive this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConnBill and I got there at 10am. The whole facility was open for a self guided tour. I have been in the facility a few times so I did not expect much. I was wrong. While the media room and student lounge was locked, the coaches offices were open. We got to see the reception room where RE meets with recruits and families and got to walk into his office. Everything else looked the same but.....

the locker rooms will be torn down in May and be done by June when the kids come back. The flooring is being replaced in the weight room at that time. The netting on the sides of the practice facility will be coming down.

Matt King and his team talked about the weight lifiting routine for the kids and some of his philosophies. Giufre talked about offense- more teachin technique than anything else and Spanos talked D technique.

We got to talk to the players. I asked what is the difference between Matt King and the previous S & C coach Klein. The players said the energy King brings is the biggest difference. Also, the players on D really liked Spanos D and one offensive linemen said the D is exciting.

Now here is the part the naysayers and doomsday Boneyarders need to hear: Matt King said that our facilities are better than he had at University of Washington and that the football complex was better than most P5 facilities.

Some observations: Travis Jones is down to under 330lbs and a bunch of guys looked like they have filled out. The time in the weight room that is coming up will be huge for the team and the players were excited about things. To me, the coaching changes and staff changes have breathed new air into the program. I felt much better about the direction of the program and truly believe we will be much more competitive this year.

Everyone knows the Shenk is a great facility.

When they told you how great the facilities are did you ask why the recruting pipeline is Seton Hill?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Everyone knows the Shenk is a great facility.

When they told you how great the facilities are did you ask why the recruting pipeline is Seton Hill?
New group of coaches - new vibe. If Ardell Brown does well no one will care where he came from.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
New group of coaches - new vibe. If Ardell Brown does well no one will care where he came from.

Sure one player from Seton Hill might be good and one recruit who picked UConn over New Hampshire might pan out...

If they don’t start beating more legitimate programs for players it’s never going to get better.

I can find you 1000 posts that talk about other strength guys and other coaches that share a similar sentiment. Hopefully yours age better.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the update! Sounds very encouraging! Go Huskies!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe for you but it was a fun event with a ton of interaction with players and coaches.
I had a great time plus Dairy bar had a truck outside giving away free ice cream.

wow free ice cream. if i were 9 I’d be super jelly.

yeah 10 am on a Saturday in April in Storrs is a time you pick if you don’t actually want anyone to come.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sure one player from Seton Hill might be good and one recruit who picked UConn over New Hampshire might pan out...

If they don’t start beating more legitimate programs for players it’s never going to get better.

I can find you 1000 posts that talk about other strength guys and other coaches that share a similar sentiment. Hopefully yours age better.

Why are you here? To bitch and complain?

You add nothing to the discussing just negativity.

I get it, the team stunk last year and before but I have hope, because being miserable is no way to go through life

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why are you here? To bitch and complain?

You add nothing to the discussing just negativity.

I get it, the team stunk last year and before but I have hope, because being miserable is no way to go through life

sorry i still hold onto the dream that uconn can be better than the last 8 years.

sorry i have too much self respect to be positive about hearing the same nonsense for an entire decade

Reaction Score
sorry i still hold onto the dream that uconn can be better than the last 8 years.

sorry i have too much self respect to be positive about hearing the same nonsense for an entire decade
Whaler: Your are not alone. Most of the UConn fanbase feels the same way. Former AD John Toner -- and one-time NCAA President -- would be turning over in his grave if he could see what has happened to the Huskies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Do you think anyone on this board is not disgusted by the last 8 years? Sorry we attended and event in support of our football program. It’s tough to feel positive, but if you’re just here to mock the program, why bother?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you think anyone on this board is not disgusted by the last 8 years? Sorry we attended and event in support of our football program. It’s tough to feel positive, but if you’re just here to mock the program, why bother?

Did Bill steal your password?

I barely mocked the event until he had a tantrum but when you mention it - yeah when I was watching some spring games yesterday afternoon I was reminded that the fact this event existed was because the athletic department thinks you can fund football like it’s softball.

So since you mentioned it - I’m actually going to mock the program until they fund it or kill it.

If you want to pretend this is Pop Warner you are welcome but I’m gonna pass on that approach.

Reaction Score
Did Bill steal your password?

I barely mocked the event until he had a tantrum but when you mention it - yeah when I was watching some spring games yesterday afternoon I was reminded that the fact this event existed was because the athletic department thinks you can fund football like it’s softball.

So since you mentioned it - I’m actually going to mock the program until they fund it or kill it.

If you want to pretend this is Pop Warner you are welcome but I’m gonna pass on that approach.
Nobody’s wrong for being a pessimist, realist or optimist. It’s personal preference. 10 a.m fan fest in lieu of a Spring game is/was a ridiculous idea for you but hundreds of people thought differently and had a good time. Fair and square for everyone on either side of the fence.
The beauty of this all is the coaches, Ardell Brown, and the players from last year, and every other player that has decided to come to UConn all have a job to do- and that’s work really hard to improve and have a better season this year. That has or never will change.
Medic will continue to update the yard as diligently as he has, Nostical will continue to predict winning seasons, Exit will provide excellent roster charting and you my friend will continue to keep everyone’s enthusiasm in check with perspective (all true btw).
Life continues to go on.....gotta love it!

Reaction Score
Huskypantz do not feel badly. unfortunately there are a ton of losers that want to continue to be negative like Whale and notsoloyalfanct. I really get the feeling that if we win some games and show improvement this year these so called fans will be very disappointed. Time to block and bury these losers and move on.

Reaction Score
Is it late August yet? So, there ARE a couple ways of looking at things, and we should all recognize that. Both are legitimate, but only one is free of bias. So I, and others, try to give honest unvarnished appraisals of how we think things are, not how we want them to be. Use of the jaundiced eye so to speak. Does not mean we are not fans, we are just more willing than others to confront reality and not to sugar coat things. I appreciate that to others this this approach is too "negative". And I marvel at those who decry "negativity" and privately think those folks are snowflakes who can't handle the truth. But in recent months I have concluded at this point that I am simply better off lurking rather than debating. Kinda like being at the zoo. And like watching a disaster like the Hindenberg in slow motion.

Btw, I do think that being in the AAC has been terrible for the WBB team, landing NEXT year's #1 recruit notwithstanding. This year's recruiting was horrendous and they lose their two big guns to graduation. The AAC TV contract is another nail. Something is gonna happen soon because the stars are starting to line up and the current path is unsustainable.

Reaction Score
Anyone who attended the event yesterday in Storrs had to come away with several positive reactions. The strength coach is excellent and his approach has been embraced by the players who are looking stronger and bigger already. The O-line is pumped and confident. Peart is the obvious leader there and he expressed that the QB's are still young and none of them has yet been vocal as a leader but expects that to change. I was impressed with Mensah's size and strength but also spent time talking with Thompkins who appreciates Edsall's business like manner and is highly motivated to excel this fall. Thompkins sees his blocking ability and return skills as a real strength and he expects lots of reps this fall. He also expects us running some "two back" plays.
The defense was uniformly more confident with Spanos' leadership and they all were unanimous that his teaching style was a plus. Look for better days ahead for the D.
Bottom line there was a palpable confidence and outspoken optimism about the season---which I was happy to embrace.
Edsall said he'll be naming captains this year. I can't imagine Peart not being one of them. When asked to name the most improved D lineman he's faced this spring he selected the trimmed down Travis Jones, who he described as having unlimited potential. Omar Fortt has an "it factor"and I'm looking to see him improve this fall.
The coaches were all engaging and seemed to be more competent and realistic than our more recent staffs. While the jury is still out I sense Giufre will do well as OC. The players all seem to love (and respect) him. The O line was very complimentary of him. Spanos appeared (to these eyes and ears) to be a mile ahead of Crocker. Time will tell.
As for the QB's, several receivers said good things about both Marvin and Steve but each leaned Marvin's way (for now) with several saying he's "grown up"---however you wish to interpret that.
It will be interesting to see how the June QB arrivals fit in.
My sense is this team will be bigger, stronger, and better prepared with a more positive and competitive outlook than the past few. And we will win more than Vegas has predicted.
ps--There was a very good enthusiastic fan turnout and no one I spoke to was disappointed in the event or suggested it be discontinued.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Huskypantz do not feel badly. unfortunately there are a ton of losers that want to continue to be negative like Whale and notsoloyalfanct. I really get the feeling that if we win some games and show improvement this year these so called fans will be very disappointed. Time to block and bury these losers and move on.

I’d much prefer you bitching crybabies block me than continue to listen to you whine. Good idea.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A
ps--There was a very good enthusiastic fan turnout and no one I spoke to was disappointed in the event or suggested it be discontinued.

The people you speak to are part of the problem.

It’s people like you who are continuing to kill the program.

Please stop before it’s too late.

Reaction Score
Spring is always the time of hope....the time of anticipation...the time of renewal. It is as it should be for fans.

When the green leaves start coming out and the world starts to again have color, it is like something drops away from the eyes and we see sharper, we breathe easier, the world is again new and uncharted. And we believe things will be better this year.

It is the fall where we reassess and become realists.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like spring game, but meeting the players, coaches and seeing all the facilities was really cool. I wouldn't bet a spring game would happen next year either from talking to a few people. I know Matt King likes having the players more and more working with each one of them as much as the NCAA will let them.
I believe he is the right strength coach with his energy and work with free weights and nutrition he talks about. He told one player who was eating captain crunch and asked how that was going to help build muscle and help with football. He took the cereal and crunched it up. LOL
One of many cool stories which was fun to hear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom