UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it's pure conjecture but I'm thinking that possibly UConn mentioned that they have other forwards with serious interest.........we'll never know unless none of the three end up in Storrs.....
UConn didn't have to mention it. The top players on these summer shoe circuits, Nike, UA, Adidas etc. all have a good idea of who's being recruited by who. There's a lot of communication going on during those long tournament weekends.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Playing Paige at PF for another season is not the answer. You've lost a tenacious defender in Nika who was capable of single-handedly shutting down or slowing down the best of the best on any team, so now THAT also has to be addressed in addition to the lack of interior size for teams with multiple big space eaters. KK is a pest on defense, but she's no Nika.

There are only question marks in Jana (zero collegiate minutes), Ayanna (inconsistent freshman year), and Ice (three solid games all year mixed in with 10+ where she looked scared that the ball might get passed to her). Sarah Strong is not playing center. Aubrey (points for spelling correctly please) is not playing center, even if she fully recovers. We all wish, hope and pray that Jana is as good as advertised but it feels like groundhog day all over again after living through the hype/disappointment cycle of Ayanna and Ice.
I'm sure if you continue posting this same thing 2-3 times every day, Geno will get right on it.

Reaction Score
Somfai committed, told Macy, but hasn't announced? Don't buy that one.
I think Macy may have seen the handwriting on the wall, not so much that Somfai contacted her, but more likely that she was getting the feedback from Uconn that Somfai was showing great interest, and that she was likely Uconn's first choice. Obviously I don't know with any confidence, and now it doesn't really matter regarding Leah, but it still could be an issue with Bryn, if she senses she was plan B or plan C

Reaction Score
I think Macy may have seen the handwriting on the wall, not so much that Somfai contacted her, but more likely that she was getting the feedback from Uconn that Somfai was showing great interest, and that she was likely Uconn's first choice. Obviously I don't know with any confidence, and now it doesn't really matter regarding Leah, but it still could be an issue with Bryn, if she senses she was plan B or plan C
And Leah’s writing always spelled ND. Might just be that simple. Like Sarah Strongs always said UConn but both took visits to confirm what their hearts and heads were telling them.

Reaction Score
Macy may have made her own conclusions but she would likely not have gotten that specific info on Somfai from UConn. And UConn may have indicated to either Somfai or McGaughy that they were their top recruiting target but it's very unlikely that UConn would have shared specific names of other targets with them. The players have ways to find or figure that stuff out but it would rarely come direct from a coaching staff. You're right, it can always be an issue with a kid if they are aware of another top kid being recruited for the same position or empty roster spot as them as I say but it would be unusual for that info to come from the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
and Ice (three solid games all year mixed in with 10+ where she looked scared that the ball might get passed to her).
I disagree with the pessimism of your analysis -- this is the wrong time of year for pessimism. But I was amused by this image, and it reminded me of something Pedro Guerrero once said about himself and Steve Sax, when they played 3rd base and 2nd base for the Dodgers.

When asked how he approached playing defense, he replied with each pitch he said a little prayer: "Please don't hit it to me, and please don't hit it to Sax." Some things are simply timeless.

But just to be clear, I am confident that we'll see a huge sophomore leap from Ice. And also from Q. And most of all from KK and Ash. Everything we've seen from Geno's teams over the past several decades should cause us to look at what we have and expect great things. Is Jana untested? Sure. So what? She won't have to carry the team. She'll have plenty of time and space to grow into the role, what with the team Geno will put around her.

Reaction Score
Would love to know how Geno views the big 2025 prospects and how they could be used. Apparently all three of Lara, Bryn, and Leah are high on Uconn which makes me think getting one of them is a near certainty. We might only be interested in one, and surely wouldn't consider 3, but could Leah and Lara work? I don't know.

I see Lara as mostly a 4 but big enough she could play a little at the 5, whereas Leah has good ball handling and an outside shot that makes me think she could play some 3, and be more of a 3/4 swing type player. She is probably a little slow for a 3 but very strong, and with 3 skills.

If someone doesn't come back that could, then we would have two spots assuming we don't add more than one year in the portal this year. In that case a combo of Leah and Laura might be possible if they wouldn't overlap too much, but i suspect we are looking for one of the three not two.
Lara somfi like many international players
Plays like a guard despite her size
Have watched the avaliable video
And does not appear to be a post player
I suspect she is the most coveted recruit
For GA as she is perfect fit the position less
Style

Reaction Score
Playing Paige at PF for another season is not the answer. You've lost a tenacious defender in Nika who was capable of single-handedly shutting down or slowing down the best of the best on any team, so now THAT also has to be addressed in addition to the lack of interior size for teams with multiple big space eaters. KK is a pest on defense, but she's no Nika.

There are only question marks in Jana (zero collegiate minutes), Ayanna (inconsistent freshman year), and Ice (three solid games all year mixed in with 10+ where she looked scared that the ball might get passed to her). Sarah Strong is not playing center. Aubrey (points for spelling correctly please) is not playing center, even if she fully recovers. We all wish, hope and pray that Jana is as good as advertised but it feels like groundhog day all over again after living through the hype/disappointment cycle of Ayanna and Ice.
UCONN can certainly play Paige again at PF. It all depends on matchups. In addition it's not all upon UCONN's Defense- in that other teams have to defend UCONN too. Azzi torched Iowa, NC State, and Texas as a Sophomore. If she is healthy, putting her with Piage and the potential Sarah brings, makes UCONN one brutal opponent for opposing teams to contend with.

As for Ice, Geno was satisfied enough with her at end of the season. - So that tends to lead towward us having a bit more positive projection for her future play.

With all this said -- any idea on when Maryam Dauda will decide?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agree with point 1. Even though Somfai is ranked lower, I would rather have her because of her versatility. Somfai is actually 6'4. 1/3 is practically guaranteed, Brynn is a stretch until we see a visit from her, and Macy seems like she's ND bound.

Don't get hung up on the HG rankings. As we know, all rankings are imprecise. Here are some ASGR rankings to consider:

3. Somfai
8. McGaughy
13. Fisher
26. Malou-Mamel
28. Macy

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My analysis about Somfai's recruitment:
1. She follows the team account on IG plus plaeyrs
2. She follows the UCONN account for all things UCONN.
3. She has us in a Top 5 where 3/5 have new coaches, who haven't offered her from what we know. So she only has 2 possible choices as of now, us and Duke.
4. She has a photo on IG of her as a kid with a UCONN jersey.
So it definitely seems like she likes us. Not to mention her HS teammate Kelis Fisher is committed here as well.

In addition, Lara seems to like posts with any UConn content.

Reaction Score
It’s difficult to say which of the three is the best player. For a long time I ranked McGaughy as the best, both skill wise and in terms of being a UConn girl but Macy has put up some astounding numbers this year! She seems to be a dominant scorer and rebounder. I have to say I find her a little less “perfect” for UConn but can’t really say why. Probably shaded by McGaughy’s obvious love for UConn. I don’t really know much about Somfai but everyone seems to be very high on her. I don’t really think we can go wrong with any of them!
I do hope those who are pushing for Macy to ND are wrong though. That team is becoming a real problem. If they get Macy to pair with Koval, plus Hidalgo for two more years, and Ivey keeps bringing in top level recruits, they are likely to be as good or better than Muffet’s era!
I’d like to see her go to Vandy and play for Shea or Louisville with Walz.

I wish UConn fans would be as optimistic about this year's 1st year players as you are of the success of Koval and Macy. NDame had no depth and now they have some but I don't think any of their "depth" would make the UConn rotation. NDame will be an amazing starting 5 IF Miles recovers from her knee injury. Last year there was doubts about Bueckers return and it is assumed that Miles will be 100%. Plus, NDame has been almost as injury-riddled as UConn over the last several years.

Reaction Score
Don't get hung up on the HG rankings. As we know, all rankings are imprecise. Here are some ASGR rankings to consider:

3. Somfai
8. McGaughy
13. Fisher
26. Malou-Mamel
28. Macy

Thanks. UConn has been recruiting better than ever for the last 4 years. Three No 1's, a bunch of top 5's plus foreign players. I don't think a lot o f fans appreciate the level that Strong plays. I think she will, in her own way, be as productive as Bueckers was as a freshman. And likely lead the team in rebounding.

Reaction Score
Thanks. UConn has been recruiting better than ever for the last 4 years. Three No 1's, a bunch of top 5's plus foreign players. I don't think a lot o f fans appreciate the level that Strong plays. I think she will, in her own way, be as productive as Bueckers was as a freshman. And likely lead the team in rebounding.
I think Sarah will be tremendous even in her freshman year. But some adjustment of expectations is in order, especially as regards rebounds. At 6’2”, she was one of the bigs in every game she played in high school. In D1 competition, she loses that advantage since in almost every game she’ll encounter larger and quite skilled posts. She is also very quick and strong, and now she’ll have to rely on that side of her talents even more. On offense, the picture is a little different. I don’t expect that she’ll have difficulty getting her perimeter shot off, and her passing game may be even better than it was in high school.

Reaction Score

3. Somfai
8. McGaughy
13. Fisher
26. Malou-Mamel
28. Macy
This is why you can't take these people seriously.

Reaction Score
This is why you can't take these people seriously.
And yet on another thread there's talk of labelling UCONN palyers as busts because of their h/s rankings regardless ot the degree they contribute.

Reaction Score
We have no way of knowing if any of the currently available frontcourt transfers are any better than Ice or Patterson...........none of the transfers were rated anywhere near as highly as the two UConn players who are still in the early stages of their development........I expect Ice to come into her own next season and hopefully a fully healthy Patterson may finally show us why she was such a coveted recruit just a couple of years ago......
With respect. I believe that we pretty much know with regard to Anaya. Besides her injury history the odds of her ever averaging 17-18 points per game for a season is very iffy. Very.

Reaction Score
And yet on another thread there's talk of labelling UCONN palyers as busts because of their h/s rankings regardless ot the degree they contribute.
My point was simply that nobody who knows what they’re looking at or doing would rate Malou-Mamel as a better player or college prospect than Macy AT THIS POINT.

Reaction Score
Nah it’s cuz people hate UCONN getting good recruits . People were all over Sarah until she committed, now she’s not worthy of being number 1.

Reaction Score
My point was simply that nobody who knows what they’re looking at or doing would rate Malou-Mamel as a better player or college prospect than Macy AT THIS POINT.
Well, they could be looking at other things. For example, skill in their chosen position. Macy doesn’t seem all that fast or athletic, and she’s a forward (though she seems to play more like a tall guard), so it’s somewhat important to have that skill. Gandy on the other hand, has nice footwork and control under the basket, also a forward. Her game may transfer better to college than Macy so far. Key word MAY. If we look at the other examples on the list, like Fisher, she’s incredibly athletic as a PG, gets to the rim quickly and has some hops. In her given position, those skills are incredibly useful, hence the higher rank.
HoopsGurlz seems to like ranking by pure offensive talent most years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many times have you seen the both of them play for you to determine what you just posted?

Reaction Score
How many times have you seen the both of them play for you to determine what you just posted?
Enough. It’s wasn’t that difficult. Five minutes of video on each was plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom