UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
technically speaking Corvallis is more conservative than Portland but I agree with your point that the hiring of an Oregon State coach at Oklahoma was a far bigger reason to choose that school........I've never been comfortable with that kind of hiring to entice a recruit and I'm glad that Geno wouldn't be a part of that kind of transaction.....
The league is a factor too. After PAC, new SEC with SC, TX, LSU offers compelling competition.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I remember after seeing Amina M in her freshman year that she was going to be trouble down the line. Very athletic!

Reaction Score
I like Gardiner and think she would fit the offense. Could there be interest.

Janiah Barker
Amina Muhammad
Timea Gardiner
Apparently, Amina is headed to Oregon
1000010097.jpg

Reaction Score
The league is a factor too. After PAC, new SEC with SC, TX, LSU offers compelling competition.
very true although UConn's out-of-conference schedule is one of the toughest in the country.....

Reaction Score
I know Barker seems to be the new flavor of the month, but not knowing if there is real interest in either direction, I wonder about three other possibilities, none great, but all with only one year of eligibility left, that could at least help some.

Namely Karlen from Marquette, Dalcy from Villanova, and King from Pittsburg. With Barker I wonder if she is good enough that a second year from her is worth potentially losing a four year recruit from the 2025 class? With Beers I think the obvious answer would be yes, but for Barker or any other possible player with more than one year left, I'm not so sure.
I like Karlen from Marquette. 6’2” - Averaged 17.7 points and 7.9 rebounds a game starting in all 32 contests.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
very true although UConn's out-of-conference schedule is one of the toughest in the country.....
True, he has no alternative and that is part of his successful pitch to recruits. Particularly, big February mid conference season against Tenn, ND and SC on national TV are awesome.

Still, and there are already 100s of threads on this, the logical weekly flow of a strong league, and post season tourney on campuses of well known universities is pretty exciting for a youngster.

After banging heads in the PAC, banging in the new SEC must be intriguing for Beers.

You may even be the one who mentioned this, but Coach Rueck now faces the same challenge as Geno in the WCC, and that's why so far he lost 8 players and gained 1 in the portal.

Reaction Score
I know Gardiner (F-Oregon St) had injury issues early in the season last year but seemed to do well when she was healthy enough to get into the lineup. Is she worth consideration at this point now that Beers and Iriafen are off the board?
Hmm, injury issues, sounds like a perfect fit for UConn

Reaction Score
With Raegan Beers now going to OU (I really was hoping for Beers to come to UConn, I loved her game), now watching JANIAH BARKER's video really impressed me!
She moves excellent for a 6'4" big girl!
She also has a 3 point game, a15' shot, and can control the ball like a Guard!
Very impressive video of her highlights!
She may be a better pickup than Beers would have been because she seems to match Jana's style of play so there would be no falling off if Jana is subbed out!
And she has the same two years left as Raegan has!
So I'm a convert to Miss Barker's game!

Reaction Score
With Raegan Beers now going to OU (I really was hoping for Beers to come to UConn, I loved her game), now watching JANIAH BARKER's video really impressed me!
She moves excellent for a 6'4" big girl!
She also has a 3 point game, a15' shot, and can control the ball like a Guard!
Very impressive video of her highlights!
She may be a better pickup than Beers would have been because she seems to match Jana's style of play so there would be no falling off if Jana is subbed out!
And she has the same two years left as Raegan has!
So I'm a convert to Miss Barker's game!
Didn’t Barker make some kind of anti UConn comment during her recruitment? I can’t remember exactly what was said but as I recall she made it very clear she was not interested in coming to UConn! Perhaps time has changed her mind but I‘m not sure her game fits with what we are looking for anyway. My guess is, with the possible exception of Gardner, the transfer ship has sailed. Gardner is not the paint/rim protecter we would like but she is a big that shoots a high percentage from three. Time to kick back and play “Anticipation“ for the rest of the summer!:)

Reaction Score
Didn’t Barker make some kind of anti UConn comment during her recruitment? I can’t remember exactly what was said but as I recall she made it very clear she was not interested in coming to UConn! Perhaps time has changed her mind but I‘m not sure her game fits with what we are looking for anyway. My guess is, with the possible exception of Gardner, the transfer ship has sailed. Gardner is not the paint/rim protecter we would like but she is a big that shoots a high percentage from three. Time to kick back and play “Anticipation“ for the rest of the summer!:)
I think she did make an anti Uconn comment way back when, but i suspect it might have been because of the lack of interest Uconn showed in her. Remember Barker was rated ahead of Ice and Ayanna and if she was hoping for a Uconn offer, she was probably pissed they looked elsewhere. So it may be that she was mad at Uconn and potentially wanted to come here, and was amazed that Geno didn't show much interest.

So at this point all three of those bigs have been disappointments relative to their ranking, but Barker less so than Ice and Ayanna. She might have an interest in us now, who knows, but it also raises the question of why we were not interested in her then. Was it style of play, work ethic, attitude etc.? Or was it just we thought Ice and Ayanna were better?

Anyway we should know soon whether there is any mutual interest, and Barker probably has more upside than other possibilities, but perhaps more question marks as well.

Reaction Score
You are correct about Barker and her feelings toward UConn.
At least, that was her comment at the time of her recruitment from high school.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Karlen is a Minnesota kid so I'm a bit Bias and would love to have her here at UCONN. Another name that isn't well known but could help add some length to the roster is Lety Vasconcelos. She played High school ball at montverde and one season at Baylor. She doesn't add immediate help like Karlen, but I think she could help us down the line.
UConn has enough 6'2" players in my opinion and the ones they have are good players. No need to add a player who won't solve the post problem.

Reaction Score
UConn has enough 6'2" players in my opinion and the ones they have are good players. No need to add a player who won't solve the post problem.
I agree. I like Karlen's game. She could fit in to this group. It's not clear she would add anything we don't already have, and might get in the way of the rising stars. That said, if Geno wants her, and Coach P agrees, Another steadying hand might have some value. Plus, she might really flourish given the opportunity to play on a top team.

Reaction Score
Does the school pay a recruit's travel expenses, or is that not allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom