UConn (only) recruiting (only) speculation | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting (only) speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chen does not move the needle for me. I will support her 110% if she ends up here but I would personally like to see us snag a more “exciting” get from the portal. Especially in positions we are thinner in.
maple- - - "exciting" is not what UConn needs now, they need steady, talented players!
That everyone can depend on through thick & thin!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Chen is an interesting player. She scored 24 against UCLA and 20 against Oklahoma. Also, 22 in their upset of NC State in the 2023 NCAA Tournament.

She also outscored Lucy 31-21 in Princeton’s 61-58 win over Villanova.

Looks like more of a midrange scorer, shooting percentage about 49% but only 22 threes and a three point percentage of about 33%. Averaged almost five assists a game and played a lot of minutes, about 35 a game. Also 94 free throw attempts, which would have put her third on UConn.

She is clearly a quality Division I guard who has shown she can compete against high level teams outside of the Ivy league.

We do have a lot of depth at guard but our point guards other than KK are Paige and Morgan. Geno probably wants to play Paige off the ball and maybe Morgan’s role with her size will ultimately be more of a point forward. With Kelis coming in 2025-2026, a one year player makes some sense.

I see the reluctance to add another guard, but a case can be made for a high quality, experienced one year point guard type player. She fits that bill quite well. We still have room for a post player even with her and given what we have been through and with all the players still on the mend, we should try to have a roster of fifteen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m guessing if Chen is in Storrs now Geno is explaining that she’ll play behind KK at the point. If she is okay with that, she’s got a spot. I can’t imagine any scenario short of injury in which Geno moves KK for a grad transfer, or shoves the freshmen further down the depth chart.

Would Chen accept those terms — 10-15 mins off the bench? I suspect yes, for the same reason Lou did. It’s a better launch pad for the draft than almost anywhere else. And injuries are always possible.

Where did you get the idea that anyone's spot is guaranteed? We all have our favorite players but Arnold is no different from any other team member. Using your argument I could say that the only reason Arnold and Shade started was because Fudd and Griffin got injured so when Fudd and Griffin get well their starting slots will be given back.
But I won't because that's not how UConn has operated. It's the same old problem. The coaches say that minutes are earned in practice and we fans almost never see even one practice and yet act as if we do.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Chen is an interesting player. She scored 24 against UCLA and 20 against Oklahoma. Also, 22 in their upset of NC State in the 2023 NCAA Tournament.

She also outscored Lucy 31-21 in Princeton’s 61-58 win over Villanova.

Looks like more of a midrange scorer, shooting percentage about 49% but only 22 threes and a three point percentage of about 33%. Averaged almost five assists a game and played a lot of minutes, about 35 a game. Also 94 free throw attempts, which would have put her third on UConn.

She is clearly a quality Division I guard who has shown she can compete against high level teams outside of the Ivy league.

We do have a lot of depth at guard but our point guards other than KK are Paige and Morgan. Geno probably wants to play Paige off the ball and maybe Morgan’s role with her size will ultimately be more of a point forward. With Kelis coming in 2025-2026, a one year player makes some sense.

I see the reluctance to add another guard, but a case can be made for a high quality, experienced one year point guard type player. She fits that bill quite well. We still have room for a post player even with her and given what we have been through and with all the players still on the mend, we should try to have a roster of fifteen.
Wouldn't Chen's addition give UConn a roster of fifteen?

Reaction Score
Where did you get the idea that anyone's spot is guaranteed?
Never said that, nor do I think it. I’m merely reflecting on something Geno has said a few times over the years, that he would often favor a younger player over the senior (pre-Covid exception) because he has to think longer term about the program. Even if Chen is better than KK, Geno still needs to bring along his “franchise” pg more than he needs to give minutes to a grad transfer. And I suspect Chen was a better scorer than KK last season, though it’s probably apples and oranges. But even if that’s a given, it may not be enough to dislodge KK. This is what I was thinking. It’s not about a guaranteed spot for KK. It’s about prioritizing the program over a single season player. Chen needs to accept this before Geno will make her an offer.

The threat to KK’s spot won’t come from Chen, as I see it. But it may come from Morgan. She’s a capable pg who can push pace just like KK. And she’s in the mold of Evina, a big quick ball handler who can be a formidable defender. It’s worth remembering that Evina often played pg even when Nika was available, or even in the game.

Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying that when he first saw Lou practice somebody was going to lose their starting spot to her. And that was before all the injuries. So maybe she wouldn't have gotten quite so many touches without all the injuries, but she probably would have been a starter and an important contributor.
The truth!

Reaction Score
No. She would make 14 with still one spot for a big.
With two spots, presumably one for a big and one guard, pursuing Chen now does not have anything to do with the big pursuit. That could still be the top priority, but Chen or another one year player does not impact future recruiting, and if Chen is your first choice for a guard you can make that decision now, before the guards dry up, and still pursue the two bigs that seem to be taking their time for a decision.

The only potential decision that would be altered would be if we had considered the possibility of using the two spots for two bigs. Obviously Beers or Iriafen is the wish list, and either with Chen would be terrific, but if not one of the two great bigs, Vonleh or Weimar would seem like plan B candidates, and if not them, it may not be worth pursuing any other bigs. The choices are limited.

Reaction Score
Chen does not move the needle for me. I will support her 110% if she ends up here but I would personally like to see us snag a more “exciting” get from the portal. Especially in positions we are thinner in.
UConn only has one true point guard and that is KK...If she were to get hurt? They would be in trouble against Ohio St., SC, ND or any of the power houses next year...That is what I feel Geno is thinking?

Reaction Score
UConn only has one true point guard and that is KK...If she were to get hurt? They would be in trouble against Ohio St., SC, ND or any of the power houses next year...That is what I feel Geno is thinking?

Let’s review
Paige Bueckers, what is the national player of the year as a point guard?
In her injury play sophomore year she played is the point guard as well

Reaction Score
Paige better have the ball in her hands ALL the time. KK will be very good for us but she should be the back up point guard period. Of course at times they will play together, but I think it hurts Paige not to totally be running things. Nika was awesome but Paige will do a much better job of running our offense. Her BBIQ is second to none and there is not a question in my mind that with a healthy team, she will lead us to the title. With her running point, our offense will look like it’s supposed to.

Reaction Score
What if Chen is better than KK though? Would KK accept getting non-starter minutes? I like KK but Chen is very good too
KK is one of the best defensive guards in the league. With UConn year after year getting burned by smaller, quick quards, KK will get her minutes.

Reaction Score
Paige better have the ball in her hands ALL the time. KK will be very good for us but she should be the back up point guard period. Of course at times they will play together, but I think it hurts Paige not to totally be running things. Nika was awesome but Paige will do a much better job of running our offense. Her BBIQ is second to none and there is not a question in my mind that with a healthy team, she will lead us to the title. With her running point, our offense will look like it’s supposed to.
uconnever- - What does Nika Muhl have to do to earn your respect?
With the records she's broken and the love and respect shown by her teammates and coaches she's earned her place among UConn's great players!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So is the definition of a “true point guard” a player who really is limited to playing point? Because the only reason Paige doesn’t meet that definition is because she can play so many other roles. As pointed out, if she ain’t a point guard nobody is. Personally, i don’t know why Geno would want to add another experienced guard who will almost have to see a lot of floor time. A big who can rebound and defend Ilcan see.

Reaction Score
Geno would want to add a guard (that can also score) to allow Paige to move to spots from where she can create mismatches. If she attracts double and triple teams, you would want other players who are eager to score.

KK has the opportunity, over the next 3 years, to improve her shooting and to learn to play smarter (e.g., less fouls) while maintaining her tenacity.

Chen may want to come to UConn to improve on her defensive skills and become a better facilitator.

A second experienced player on the roster is added insurance so we can worry less about turn overs and rookie mistakes.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
With the records she's broken and the love and respect shown by her teammates and coaches she's earned her place among UConn's great players!
Except every time Nika had to sit with 3-4 fouls, or fouled out, the offense wasn't as crisp, and numerous times, ended in a loss. Paige's role has changed since her frosh year, where she's better when the ball isn't in her hands a majority of the time. It lets Paige do Paige things.

Reaction Score

You're beating a dead horse

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Except the guy with all the say says he wants Paige playing off ball. When she is off ball it is tougher on the defense because they have to focus on her AND the ball. I agree with him.

Reaction Score
Chen is an experienced PG and as such will provide stability and leadership to very young UConn guards. We clearly need an experienced Big and hopefully Beers or Iriafen are considering UConn.
In regard to Paige: while most probably at the WNBA she'll be a PG, at UConn she needs to score 20+ points a game and that is best achieved with her off the ball.

Reaction Score
We will never know but scorer or not, she would not have gotten the touches that allowed her to score as much because she would have been the 3rd, 4th, or 5th option if Uconn was fully healthy.
I distinctly remember Geno telling reporters that after about a week of practice he knew that Lou was taking someone's minutes. If a transfer comes, they'll be given the same opportunity as every other player to prove their mettle in practice and earn minutes. Period. Iron sharpens iron, and I'm sure the players wouldn't want it any other way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom