UConn on an extra glass of wine | The Boneyard

UConn on an extra glass of wine

Reaction Score
At dinner, I normally limit myself to a glass--okay, maybe two--of wine per night.

Tonight, I think I had an extra glass. Well, in vino veritas. And what strikes me is just how tough it is for a freshman--we're talking about Meg this year, Crystal last year, Lou the previous year, etc--to figure it out in real time. Last game, Meg got benched apparently because she failed to call out a pick and Kia got rammed. Of course, by the sophomore year, the game slows down, by the junior year, you're pretty much on top of it, and by the senior you, you dominate and think about new challenges after graduation.

But really and truly, there is no sport that moves faster and more chaotically than basketball, and no basketball coach on earth who demands more of his players than Geno. Being a freshman playing meaningful minutes for UConn is a really, really daunting task.

Wait! I just had a cup of coffee. Now it all seems so easy. What's wrong with you, Meg? :)

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
At dinner, I normally limit myself to a glass--okay, maybe two--of wine per night.

Tonight, I think I had an extra glass. Well, in vino veritas. And what strikes me is just how tough it is for a freshman--we're talking about Meg this year, Crystal last year, Lou the previous year, etc--to figure it out in real time. Last game, Meg got benched apparently because she failed to call out a pick and Kia got rammed. Of course, by the sophomore year, the game slows down, by the junior year, you're pretty much on top of it, and by the senior you, you dominate and think about new challenges after graduation.

But really and truly, there is no sport that moves faster and more choatically than basketball, and no basketball coach on earth who demands more of his players than Geno. Being a freshman playing meaningful minutes for UConn is a really, really daunting task.

Wait! I just had a cup of coffee. Now it all seems so easy. What's wrong with you, Meg? :)
In vino veritas, in coffee catharsis.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
12 points in the half...Go Knights, you're on to something! You're brand of ball held them to tripling you up!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In vino veritas, in coffee catharsis.

In beer, brouhaha. At least that's what I thought watching the South Carolina-Missouri game after a few cold ones.

Reaction Score
I just watched the game on ESPN replay, so I couldn't contribute to the game thread.

I haven't had a drink, so perhaps my thoughts are distorted, but here they are.

The UCF games this year reminded me of the Tulane games last year. The first games were home victories by 44 and 36 points respectively. The second games were away games with an important player missing. Kia Nurse had sprained her ankle in the South Carolina game last year and Crystal Dangerfield had aggravated her shin splints in the South Carolina game this year. The second Tulane game last year was won by 3 points and UCF by 18 points. Both away games were very physical and wearing on the players.

I also noticed that the announcers complained about the heat over and over during the UCF game. By the end of the game, the UCONN starters looked like they may have been suffering from heat exhaustion. It might explain missing so many open shots. During the last quarter, it seemed that they were bumped and fouled by UCF players on nearly every play. Between the heat and the fouls that were not called, our players just looked very tired

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just watched the game on ESPN replay, so I couldn't contribute to the game thread.

I haven't had a drink, so perhaps my thoughts are distorted, but here they are.

The UCF games this year reminded me of the Tulane games last year. The first games were home victories by 44 and 36 points respectively. The second games were away games with an important player missing. Kia Nurse had sprained her ankle in the South Carolina game last year and Crystal Dangerfield had aggravated her shin splints in the South Carolina game this year. The second Tulane game last year was won by 3 points and UCF by 18 points. Both away games were very physical and wearing on the players.

I also noticed that the announcers complained about the heat over and over during the UCF game. By the end of the game, the UCONN starters looked like they may have been suffering from heat exhaustion. It might explain missing so many open shots. During the last quarter, it seemed that they were bumped and fouled by UCF players on nearly every play. Between the heat and the fouls that were not called, our players just looked very tired
Your suspicions were confirmed by Geno after the game. He also said he hasn't been able to find bench players that can go in to relieve the starters so, unfortunately, the starters have to play a lot of minutes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Bill Russell once said "Basketball is a contact sport, football is a collision sport." It sure looked like a collision sport last night. In all my life, I do not remember ever playing in a game with such intentional violent collisions. In the street we used to play defense calls the foul. Which meant that you could do what you want. Many games ended in fights or scrums. Last night I saw more violent intentional body slams and elbows thrown than I can remember. Fighting for position under the hoop is one thing, but last night it was taken to an art form. They were very focused on denying Z position so much so that a player would go about two steps above her and back in hard with an all out elbow the chest to get her to move. And in Megan's tussle for the ball, the UCF player seemed to run her over like a running back. It looked like the UCF bench jumped up expected a fight, but MW was cool (or stunned) and didn't retaliate. There were fouls on almost every UConn shot, specially under the hoop. I saw officials give UConn the ball even when it was off the UConn player and I believe it was a makeup for missing the fouls committed.

Watching I was thinking that a more capable team the UCF could play this style and beat UConn. I would be very concerned is Mizz was in our region.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom