UConn offers Espinosa-Hunter | The Boneyard

UConn offers Espinosa-Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Very interesting.......UConn offers a 2017 guard but doesn't offer Dangerfield , a 2016 guard , who is rated much higher. Nor Walker , a 2017 wing rated # 1 in the class and in attendance at First Night.:eek:

I guess I just don't get this recruiting thing yet.

JS

Reaction Score
I'm almost certain that Dangerfield has an offer. I'm not sure about Walker.
Yes, would think Dangerfield already had one before this weekend. I think things are well on track there.

Also, tweeter Blue Star (Mike Flynn) has a special interest in, and likely communication with, Espinosa-Hunter because of Philly Belles (Mike Flynn).

Therefore, lack of mention by Mr. Flynn doesn't mean Walker didn't get an offer.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Very interesting..UConn offers a 2017 guard but doesn't offer Dangerfield , a 2016 guard , who is rated much higher. Nor Walker , a 2017 wing rated # 1 in the class and in attendance at First Night.:eek:

Surely you don't think that Dangerfield came from Tennessee and Walker from Virginia just to sample the house special at Willington Pizza, do you?

Reaction Score
Very interesting..UConn offers a 2017 guard but doesn't offer Dangerfield , a 2016 guard , who is rated much higher. Nor Walker , a 2017 wing rated # 1 in the class and in attendance at First Night.:eek:

Of course you do! Nothing wrong with buying extra insurance.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why do we think Dangerfield and/or Walker have offers? Is this inside info or just guesses? There isn't any public info that they've received one yet.

Reaction Score
Why do we think Dangerfield and/or Walker have offers? Is this inside info or just guesses? There isn't any public info that they've received one yet.
Haven't seen information about scholarship offers for the two, but Geno and CD made a home visit to see Crystal in September.

HGN

Reaction Score
Surely you don't think that Dangerfield came from Tennessee and Walker from Virginia just to sample the house special at Willington Pizza, do you?
I surely hope not ......Because I hear the Huskies are offering up their own menu of Victories and NC's. Hopefully Dangerfield and Walker decide to stay around and sample the the menu.

Reaction Score
Who would not be impressed by the whole Friday dedication and First Night Gala?. Future players either want to be part of this juggernut or not. Some players are freightened away by Friday and what is expected...Lets see who wants to make a difference....

Reaction Score

Just because one player got an offer that someone publicized does not mean that other players did not get offers or did not already have offers. Even in today's age, there really are players who don't go out of their way to put every offer on the internet or in the newspaper.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn cannot comment on potential recruits so any information we get about offers is either from the player themselves or from someone talking to the player. And it is not always accurate.
We seldom get commitments during first night weekends - the current recruiting class is typically already committed and the future classes have yet to make 'official' visits - a much more likely timeframe for a commitment. Can't remember when we last got a commit at first night.
I suspect most if not all of the future class attendees this weekend have offers if they have expressed real interest during the visit.

PS What happened to the link to Nan's recruiting site?! I looked a few days ago and didn't see it on the links page. (Also - does it make sense to add a link to DD's blog? - don't know if that is within the range of acceptable links but it contains some nice stuff. http://doggydaddyuconn.blogspot.com )

Reaction Score
An aside for those who aren't following closely. Espinoza-Hunter was a teammate of Saniya Chong's at Ossining - when she played varsity as a 7th and 8th grader - and then played with Sadie Edwards last year at Blair Academy as a freshman.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just because one player got an offer that someone publicized does not mean that other players did not get offers or did not already have offers. Even in today's age, there really are players who don't go out of their way to put every offer on the internet or in the newspaper.
And it isn't just 'publicity' seeking kids - Flynn has an interest in Espinosa-Hunter so he probably called her and asked how the visit was going and she said 'great ... and they offered me a scholarship.' and he went to the twitter.
We will probably hear more about the other recruits over the next week as various people make contact that have an outlet - including members of the hoard calling coaches or parents.

Reaction Score
We seldom get commitments during first night weekends - the current recruiting class is typically already committed and the future classes have yet to make 'official' visits - a much more likely timeframe for a commitment. Can't remember when we last got a commit at first night.

Yes, it is rare to get commitments at First Night - but also has been very rare to get one on an official visit, since official visits - until recently - couldn't be taken until a player's senior year. Now they can be taken a few months earlier than that - but UConn's commitments still often occur prior to the first allowable date of an official visit.

Reaction Score
UConn has stated that they won't offer until a player visits so it would appear that UConn has liked her for a while. It's a credit to her that she got an offer prior to her sophomore season. I seem to remember Tony C posting somewhere last season that she was on UConn's radar. Prospect nation and Hoopgurlz have their top 25 listed for 2017 and Espinoza-Hunter isn't there but Walker is on top of both lists. I would be shocked if UConn hasn't offered her a roster spot but we may need to wait till May to get the verbals.

Reaction Score
Even in today's age, there really are players who don't go out of their way to put every offer on the internet or in the newspaper.

And there's NO evidence that Espinosa-Hunter did that.

She got an offer. She likely told her coaches, as one would expect. One of those coaches is connected to well known, Twitter-active Mike Flynn who tweeted the info. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just because news gets out, it doesn't mean someone is a publicity seeker.

Reaction Score
Uconn cannot comment on potential recruits so any information we get about offers is either from the player themselves or from someone talking to the player. And it is not always accurate.

Coaches cannot comment publicly on recruits. However, I'm pretty sure they're allowed to answer reporter questions such as "have you offered player X a scholarship?" I also think they can speak off the record on which players they are interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom