2022 Recruiting: - UConn offers Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: UConn offers Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just have the gut feeling that Donovan could be the "glue guy" Ala a Niels Giffey that we need to bring us back to the promised land, don't know much about his offensive game ? Can he shoot the 3? Can he bring us a ring unlike McNabb?

He's a lot better than a glue guy if he keeps developing. Potential to go straight to the pros

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We signed a Klingon?
This diversity thing is going too far.
klingon.jpg

Reaction Score
I started the original thread which led to prepping vs staying at BCHS. Each point of view has its merits. I was one of his uncles last evening and discussed items below. Also below are some of my random obervations on Donovan.
(1) As of right now there are no thoughts of him going to a prep school.
(2) He has a very close relationship with his teammates and coaches and plans on staying at BCHS
(3) He is playing I a fall hoop league. Believe he has a game this Thurs 6pm in New Britain ( boys club?)
(4) I have seen him play a few times. Definitely more then a glue guy, but don't see him going pro straight from High School
(5) He has grown from a 6'8 freshman to just under 7' as a sophomore. Both his mom and dad are around 6'5", so he may not be done growing.
(6) Needs to get stronger ( just like any sophomore ), but is very skilled and coordinated.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I started the original thread which led to prepping vs staying at BCHS. Each point of view has its merits. I was one of his uncles last evening and discussed items below. Also below are some of my random obervations on Donovan.
(1) As of right now there are no thoughts of him going to a prep school.
(2) He has a very close relationship with his teammates and coaches and plans on staying at BCHS
(3) He is playing I a fall hoop league. Believe he has a game this Thurs 6pm in New Britain ( boys club?)
(4) I have seen him play a few times. Definitely more then a glue guy, but don't see him going pro straight from High School
(5) He has grown from a 6'8 freshman to just under 7' as a sophomore. Both his mom and dad are around 6'5", so he may not be done growing.
(6) Needs to get stronger ( just like any sophomore ), but is very skilled and coordinated.
Keep me in mind when the BCHS schedule comes out, I would enjoy catching a few games this close to home.

Reaction Score
We can call him Don Cling and the students can get knock off don king wigs to wear in the student section, I'm in let's get him

Reaction Score
Hurley may be trying to cut off in advance the possibility of a Ryan Gomes scenario of his own.
And think of it this way, if he turns out good, we're ahead of the curve. If he's not that great, he's not going to stop anyone from coming hear, and at least it's 5 fouls we can give to spell whatever better big we have.
Sounds like this kid is going to be big time...

#E75 Frosh/Soph - Best of the Big Men | New England Recruiting Report

Reaction Score
Really like the staff getting in early on a Connecticut kid loaded with potential. Hope we are able to keep him close. On the flip though this is what Cuse was doing with Jackson. That's gotta hurt some.

Reaction Score
That article says he was 6’8 as a freshman, now he’s 7’ as a sophomore. Something tells me this kid isn’t done growing.
I guess his parents weren’t watching the meat and dairy with growth hormones...

Reaction Score
When I watched him during high school games. I never saw him shoot further then 10' away. But he had a great touch from foul line. In article above it says he could stretch floor to 3 pt line. Again he is very coordinated and skilled with basketball

A 7-footer probably shouldn’t shoot from more than 10 feet away in the CCC very often, but as you said, he has a nice touch from the foul line. That makes me think he can develop the ability to step out and hit the occasional jumper. He’s coordinated for his size. He’ll just need to get stronger, but I’d imagine any 7-foot tall sophomore would need to get stronger.

Reaction Score
I've never seen him play or even heard of him before but by looking at his picture, my sense is that he's not very athletic but he's smart and plays hard. A real gym rat.
He is not a super athlete, but no way would I call him unathletic. Has good foot work, Very coordinated, skilled with basketball and finishes smoothly with both hands.

Reaction Score
Really like the staff getting in early on a Connecticut kid loaded with potential. Hope we are able to keep him close. On the flip though this is what Cuse was doing with Jackson. That's gotta hurt some.

Luckily the zone is no place for a guy his size, who wants to play at the next level.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He is 100% not make a high-major D1 if he doesn't leave Bristol Central. It will be a complete and utter shame if he doesn't.

Honestly, if you know the family well enough, you should he in their ear about a prep. I usually mention to parents that the education is way better. Forget about the basketball. If you get an opportunity to get a diploma for free from a private school, you take it. That's a what, 50k education per year at some places?

ANY decent high school coach is telling this kid to get into a better school. If his coach isn't he's a selfish twerp. I have encouraged kids to move on from my AAU team, to focus on other sports, or go to another high school when it is in their best interest. If you care about the kids, you do what's best for them first and the team second every time.
@husky429, you still good with this? Was your statement above sarcasm or has your position changed that much in a relatively short amount of time?

Reaction Score
@husky429, you still good with this? Was your statement above sarcasm or has your position changed that much in a relatively short amount of time?
Good question, never seen this guy admit he was wrong

Reaction Score

Good question, never seen this guy admit he was wrong

He hasn't made a high-major from what I can see unless he was taking 20 classes a semester at BCHS freshman year. Offers don't mean much more than potential at this point in the game. I'll happily eat crow if he does. I've been wrong before; I'll be wrong again. No doubt about it.

"100%" was probably a little over-the-top. AAU could get him there. It has for some kids. Those are also kids that probably could have been getting better offers at higher quality schools if they went elsewhere. I get why a kid would want to stay home with friends and family, but playing against inferior competition for your entire high school season is a detriment to development.

Reaction Score
He hasn't made a high-major from what I can see unless he was taking 20 classes a semester at BCHS freshman year. Offers don't mean much more than potential at this point in the game. I'll happily eat crow if he does. I've been wrong before; I'll be wrong again. No doubt about it.

"100%" was probably a little over-the-top. AAU could get him there. It has for some kids. Those are also kids that probably could have been getting better offers at higher quality schools if they went elsewhere. I get why a kid would want to stay home with friends and family, but playing against inferior competition for your entire high school season is a detriment to development.
Come on, you're a good poster but you would be a lot better off just admitting you're wrong now. This kid is obviously going to play at a high major.

Reaction Score
Come on, you're a good poster but you would be a lot better off just admitting you're wrong now. This kid is obviously going to play at a high major.

Eh, plenty of kids get offers freshman year that don't pan out. Hard not to when you're 7' tall though--those guys are usually guards that stop growing. I'd put the chances above 90% if he's truly that tall and has another AAU season like he did this year.

The fact that you're telling me to admit I'm wrong might be the most ironic thing I've read on this board in years. And that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom