UConn offers Bonzie Colson | The Boneyard

UConn offers Bonzie Colson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Out of the race for Abu?

TheRecruitScoop
Following his first official visit to Pittsburgh, 2014 St. Andrews (RI) PF Bonzie Colson has been offered by UConn.
9/2/13 1:11 PM

Reaction Score
Either way I like this offer. Skilled 4-year player that will contribute. Colson would be a great compliment to 5 star players like Hamilton and the 2015 recruits UConn is after.

Reaction Score
This sells me on this kid (he's a WINNER)

ESPN Analyst
Updated 08/28/2013
Strengths:
Colson is a model of efficiency and the exception to almost all rules about the requisite size needed to be a high-major caliber four-man. He's got an old-school feel to his game with terrific poise and court demeanor, the ability to thrive at either the mid or high-post, and a very high release inside the lane. He's got great length and tremendous hands, is a very good passer in the frontcourt, and makes great use of the backboard. More than anything else, he's just a winner, who has won big at every level which he has competed at.
Weaknesses:
He's obviously undersized for his position at the highest level, and also lacks ideal athleticism for that level. While he's proven his ability to score points, and shoot an incredibly high percentage from the floor, his bigger challenges are on the defensive end, as well as on the glass, against a bigger and more explosive athlete.
Bottom Line:
He's not going to make a ton of highlight reel plays or fill up a YouTube video, but when it comes to getting things done and winning basketball games he is, pound for pound and inch for inch, one of the best around.

Reaction Score
This sells me on this kid (he's a WINNER)

ESPN Analyst
Updated 08/28/2013
Strengths:
Colson is a model of efficiency and the exception to almost all rules about the requisite size needed to be a high-major caliber four-man. He's got an old-school feel to his game with terrific poise and court demeanor, the ability to thrive at either the mid or high-post, and a very high release inside the lane. He's got great length and tremendous hands, is a very good passer in the frontcourt, and makes great use of the backboard. More than anything else, he's just a winner, who has won big at every level which he has competed at.
Weaknesses:
He's obviously undersized for his position at the highest level, and also lacks ideal athleticism for that level. While he's proven his ability to score points, and shoot an incredibly high percentage from the floor, his bigger challenges are on the defensive end, as well as on the glass, against a bigger and more explosive athlete.
Bottom Line:
He's not going to make a ton of highlight reel plays or fill up a YouTube video, but when it comes to getting things done and winning basketball games he is, pound for pound and inch for inch, one of the best around.

Tim Coles reincarnated.

Reaction Score
I can't believe somebody gets paid to write those espn prospect analysis'... Just for kicks take a gander at olanders. Laughable

Reaction Score
Just watching videos, I love this kid. Is Abu a better fit for the 4? Probably, but Bonzie really looks like a fighter. The height doesn't bother me so much because of the wingspan--I mean you can see him make a few big blocks pretty easily in the highlights. Plus, the height thing will most likely keep him in college for four years and honestly I might want to have someone like him for four years than a bigger name like Abu who jumps to the league after two. Don't get me wrong, I'll be thrilled if we land Abu, but us offering this guy makes me feel a lot better about the situation, especially if he did in fact call us a "dream school"

Reaction Score
I'll take Bonzie and let's not overestimate the height difference........and I doubt it's as much as we think!! Told my brother a while ago I would love this kid......."just get it done" guy! All in here

Reaction Score
he's got a little draymond green thing going on... I've always been a fan of the undersized power forward type. they tend to be very effective college players b/c they have to have savvy and know how to play to get by.

Reaction Score
This kid has said we are his dream school in the past. Is he going to visit us officially?

Reaction Score
I have no problem with offering this kid. Kids like this built this program. I seem to remember a slightly taller undersized 4 named Freeman working out okay.

Reaction Score
I don't mind this kid, but it's a bad sign that the staff is already, in a sense, giving up on some of the blue-chippers (likely Abu).

Hopefully we can get one of Larrier, Robinson, or White, to start at the 4.

Reaction Score
I don't mind this kid, but it's a bad sign that the staff is already, in a sense, giving up on some of the blue-chippers (likely Abu).

Hopefully we can get one of Larrier, Robinson, or White, to start at the 4.

Those are small forwards.

After Abu and Colson, there are no other PFs they're looking at.

Not only that, but we have multiple scholarships to give.

Reaction Score
Poor mans Elton Brand from what I see, and maybe just needs a couple years to have the same amount in his checking account!
So you're saying he's Jeff Adrien? I'm ok with that

Reaction Score
Those are small forwards.

After Abu and Colson, there are no other PFs they're looking at.

Not only that, but we have multiple scholarships to give.

If DD can play the 4 in KO's scheme, then I don't see why White couldn't play the 4. If we whiff on Colson (too little, too late), then White may be the best of the three at the 4. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as I would be shocked if we landed two of White, Larrier and Robinson. I'd be happy with one of these plus Colson, but I fear the Colson ship may have sailed.

Reaction Score
Colson clearly has far more offensive skills than Adrien. If he has the strength, mean streak and defense/rebounding of Adrien, look out.

Reaction Score
Keep reading references to Adrian. Jeff had great heart but was outrebounded at times by BE full sized 4's and Colson is smaller. Assuming we don't get Abu, Colson would be still be a good pickup and there doesn't appear to be better options for UConn.

Reaction Score
Keep reading references to Adrian. Jeff had great heart but was outrebounded at times by BE full sized 4's and Colson is smaller. Assuming we don't get Abu, Colson would be still be a good pickup and there doesn't appear to be better options for UConn.

Jeff averaged over 9 rebs per his last 3 years as a starter, nobody was bullying him on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom