UConn offers Bonzie Colson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn offers Bonzie Colson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hard to conclude anything from this other than that we're out of it for Abu.

Reaction Score
Hard to conclude anything from this other than that we're out of it for Abu.
If we're indeed out with Abu I'd love to know the real reason. Was it because he felt ignored in July? Was it conference concerns? He seemed like a perfect fit for us and said he grew up watching UConn. It's just one kid but is a little worrisome for what this says for future recruits. Maybe we should all just take a deep breath and wait for the announcement on the 7th before getting too worked up?

Reaction Score
Just checked both TOS Pitt sites and there's not even a single mention of Bonzie Colson on those sites, nor much interest in Pitt basketball.

Reaction Score
If we're indeed out with Abu I'd love to know the real reason. Was it because he felt ignored in July? Was it conference concerns? He seemed like a perfect fit for us and said he grew up watching UConn. It's just one kid but is a little worrisome for what this says for future recruits. Maybe we should all just take a deep breath and wait for the announcement on the 7th before getting too worked up?

It's possible it wasn't so much what UConn didn't do, than what another school did. In other words, maybe he just fell in love with one of the other three choices - it happens. Considering how feverishly Ollie pursued him in the live period, I doubt it was because he felt ignored by UConn.

Reaction Score
Jeff averaged over 9 rebs per his last 3 years as a starter, nobody was bullying him on the boards.

True, but he also got his butt handed to him in some games by bigger 4's. Not knocking him because he was a warrior for us but if you get a chance to get a talented and bigger 4 you take him. Adrian had long arms for his height and I haven't heard that about Colson.It doesn't appear UConn will get the chance for an Abu sized 4 so in our case getting Colson makes sense.

Reaction Score
I'd hate to bring Prov up because I know how that works this board up but nobody recruited him as long and as hard as they did, and it was Cooley who was personally involved, and they appear to be out of it. Maybe he just wants to get away from home, because in no way should NC State even be prime position imo, Gottfried is a joke.

Reaction Score
True, but he also got his butt handed to him in some games by bigger 4's. Not knocking him because he was a warrior for us but if you get a chance to get a talented and bigger 4 you take him. Adrian had long arms for his height and I haven't heard that about Colson.It doesn't appear UConn will get the chance for an Abu sized 4 so in our case getting Colson makes sense.
Colson has a 7'1" wingspan. Seeing as he's 6'5" it's fair to conclude he has very long arms. Watch his videos, they're very long.

Reaction Score

Yea, I disagree, I never saw a game where I thought "man, Adrien is getting manhandled out there", he was a brick wall with a 7'2" wingpsan. There are not many PFs during the JC era that put up the kind of numbers that Adrien did in points, rebs, or blocks. As a freshman Adrien came in off the bench and was muscling guys when Boone was sulking and getting pushed around, just take the George Mason game for example when Boone and Armstrong were getting outplayed by the GM bigs and Adrien came in and played arguably the best out of everyone on that 06 team.

Reaction Score
Colson has a 7'1" wingspan. Seeing as he's 6'5" it's fair to conclude he has very long arms. Watch his videos, they're very long.

His wingspan measured 6-11 at the LeBron camp. Still very long for a kid his size, and just fine for a college 4.

Hopefully, though, we sign him and he has a sudden growth spurt!

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Like this offer. I'd like to see white commit to because of his size.i might be the only one to notices all the VCU crap larrier retweets but I'm assuming that's where he lands.Abu im all but sure he's going eles where.I wouldn't be surprised to see another 3* guy offered for this class.

Reaction Score
Who knows...he could grow a few more inches. Often times an oversized wing-span can be an indicator that he may still be growing...I believe Cliff Robinson grew quite a bit from senior year to entering college.

Reaction Score
I would rather have players that want to be here then a roster filled with 5 star babies that just want o play college ball for 2 years and move on. Uk can keep their drama hype filled program. I would be stoked to go to a FF every 3-4 years and beat the other teams like baby seals.

We are DOOMED!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
His wingspan measured 6-11 at the LeBron camp. Still very long for a kid his size, and just fine for a college 4.

Hopefully, though, we sign him and he has a sudden growth spurt!
Maybe he'll have a David Robinsonlike growth spurt and be 7'1" when all is said and done :)

Reaction Score
Like this offer. I'd like to see white commit to because of his size.i might be the only one to notices all the VCU crap larrier retweets but I'm assuming that's where he lands.Abu im all but sure he's going eles where.I wouldn't be surprised to see another 3* guy offered for this class.

Well, Larrier also tweeted that his all-time favorite movie is He Got Game.

Reaction Score
Then we'll have to let him wear a customized UConn jersey with Shuttlesworth on the back whenever he plays. That must've been part of Ollie's pitch.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score

Seen that to just didn't make the connection till now.maybe we need ray Allen to make a few phone calls maybe autograph a copy for him.

Reaction Score
Poor mans Elton Brand from what I see, and maybe just needs a couple years to have the same amount in his checking account!
Nice offensive skillset, something I don't think we've had at that spot.. And, at this level he'd be a solid fit in our system. We did win a National Championship with an undersized 4 before ya know ( KFree - aka Kevin Freeman )...

Reaction Score
Who knows...he could grow a few more inches. Often times an oversized wing-span can be an indicator that he may still be growing...I believe Cliff Robinson grew quite a bit from senior year to entering college.
If there's been steady growth over the last few years then maybe there's more to come. But since he doesn't seem to be a top priority for the big boys, I'm assuming he's topped off at 6-5, if he's even that.

With that said, I have no problem KO signing this kids. I've enjoyed rooting for kids like KFree and Jeff Adrian who brought their lunch pail every game. Those two out-played taller and more gifted bigs, including ones from both our team and the opponents.

Reaction Score
Pretty much gave up on videos after getting all excited about Ater Majok after seeing his, and realized that the cherry-picked highlights against high school kids or foreign AAU equivalents don't always translate to what it's going to look like when playing actual high major college players.

But gave the one on Bonzie a look-see because of the unique characteristics that were being talked about on the board. Who knows if those nice turn arounds, fall aways, or soft 10 footers of the backboard aren't all from 3 out of 11 actual shots in each category? But the rest of it is very likable!

Smooth. I like the word from the scouting report, "efficient". Efficient in the sense there is no wasted movement, takes his time, but is still quick. Who he reminds me of in that regard, not looking particularly athletic, won't jump out of the gym, etc, but a guy you want around the ball and involved in the play as much as possible: Corny Thompson.

Yup, for me a smaller version of 6-8 Corny. That's what I was seeing. Hell, his head even sits on his shoulders like he's got no neck, just like Corny. Maybe thats why he's only 6 -4 or 6-5 cuz they took the inches off his neck and moved them to his arms. But the effective height might be the same as another 6 -7 guy. Reaches up and blocks those shots, with great timing with those long arms. See when he dribbles? It's like a few inches off the floor, cuz his arms start out down around his knees. What they showed of his passing looked great, too. Again, efficient.

For you old-timers, remember when Corny would pass the ball inbounds against the press, then move to mid-court to receive it back in order to be the distributor from there?

One other thing. Let's not always get too hung up on height. All the mention about how undersized Bonzie is for the 4, kept me thinking about how Charles Barkley did OK as an undersized front-court player. I went and looked it up, and take a gander at this from Wikipedia:

As a junior, Barkley stood 5'10" (1.78 m) and weighed 220 pounds (99.8 kg). He failed to make the varsity team and was named as a reserve. However, during the summer Barkley grew to 6'4" (1.93 m) and earned a starting position on the varsity team in his senior year. He averaged 19.1 points and 17.9 rebounds per game and led his team to a 26–3 record en route to the state semifinals.[7] Despite his improvement, Barkley garnered no attention from college scouts until the state high school semifinals, where he scored 26 points against Alabama's most highly recruited player, Bobby Lee Hurt.[7] An assistant to Auburn University's head coach, Sonny Smith, was at the game and reported seeing, "a fat guy... who can play like the wind".[8] Barkley was soon recruited by Smith and majored in business management while attending Auburn University.
During his college career, Barkley played the center position, despite being shorter than the average center. His height, officially listed as 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m), is stated as 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) in his book, I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It.

Reaction Score
Let's not compare anyone to Barkely. He's a unique, inimitable talent.

Reaction Score
We have Facey to play the 4. If we get no one in 014, we get someone in 015.

Either way, we'll survive

That being said, i'd love any of the guys mentioned...including colson

Reaction Score
Let's not compare anyone to Barkely. He's a unique, inimitable talent.
Let's not, I wasn't. He was used as an example of a player undersized for a position, as justification for not automatically ruling out a player based on height. He's not the only one, so not unique in that regard.

Reaction Score
13 schollies use them all. Take as much talent as you can. This whole I'd rather take this guy over that works when you have 1 scholarship left. Not when you are facing the certainty of 4 guys graduating and possibility of 2 more leaving early. I know it's slow season for news but its getting old reading same things over and over. Get commits and keep recruiting better players. If the initial commit doesn't like it they can look elsewhere. Players win championships, not coaches or systems or the name on a jersey. What happened in the last 20 plus years will never happen again unless UConn recruits top players that want to win championships. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom