Uconn Notre Dame preview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn Notre Dame preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If UConn scores 70 pts ND cant win. With 2 scorers they just cant do it. Watching the ND game I saw a MD team that does not play defense, did not rebound and couldnt create a shot, no pic, no movement nothing and did not get back on defense. That wont happen against UConn. ND will have problems getting inside and BTW Chiney imo is the best and UConn shut her down. Thompson had 10 pts in the first half Geno made an adjustment and I think she only had one basket after that. Hey remember Achowa is out and Diggins is gone. This is not the same team we beat by 18 last FF. They're less then they were. Dont get into the hype. We have 5 scorers, and will guard the post. They're almost locked out of the post. ND is going to have alot of problems. Three things will happen on Tuesday night. UConn will win number 9 in Tenn and against ND how sweet is that and A'ja Wilsons decision that UConn is the best will be confirmed.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
MD completely gave up, and Frese never made adjustments. I just don't see Geno coaching that badly; being unprepared, or the UCONNplayers ever giving up.

I was at the game and if I recall correctly, ND got three offensive boards on their first or second possession and scored. Though MD had a couple of spurts in the first half, I think they were generally wooden from the get-go. Totally amazed at their lack of spirit for the entire game.

Reaction Score
If UConn scores 70 pts ND cant win. With 2 scorers they just cant do it. Watching the ND game I saw a MD team that does not play defense, did not rebound and couldnt create a shot, no pic, no movement nothing and did not get back on defense. That wont happen against UConn. ND will have problems getting inside and BTW Chiney imo is the best and UConn shut her down. Thompson had 10 pts in the first half Geno made an adjustment and I think she only had one basket after that. Hey remember Achowa is out and Diggins is gone. This is not the same team we beat by 18 last FF. They're less then they were. Dont get into the hype. We have 5 scorers, and will guard the post. They're almost locked out of the post. ND is going to have alot of problems. Three things will happen on Tuesday night. UConn will win number 9 in Tenn and against ND how sweet is that and A'ja Wilsons decision that UConn is the best will be confirmed.
ND will play like they always do against UConn and thats go right to the basket to draw fouls and I dont think tomorrow will be any different. The way the refs call this game will be huge so at least Kanter is pretty fair with her calls. Im still not sure about Aja Wlsons decision. Aja does not want to be a post player and if she thinks she is replacing Steph she may stay home to help a talented SC team make it to the FF next year. Aja did get close to some of the UConn players but per Aja she is like sisters with Kadra Duckett SC recruit. I think it does come down to UConn and SC we will find out in 9 days.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
ND will play like they always do against UConn and thats go right to the basket to draw fouls and I dont think tomorrow will be any different. The way the refs call this game will be huge so at least Kanter is pretty fair with her calls. Im still not sure about Aja Wlsons decision. Aja does not want to be a post player and if she thinks she is replacing Steph she may stay home to help a talented SC team make it to the FF next year. Aja did get close to some of the UConn players but per Aja she is like sisters with Kadra Duckett SC recruit. I think it does come down to UConn and SC we will find out in 9 days.
Stokes will replace Dolson.

Reaction Score
I've felt all along the way to beat the Irish is with your big people! Even when they had N. Achonwa, UCONN has too much talent and size inside for ND to handle! The guards on both teams are a wash, multi talented and athletic! UCONN doesn't want to make this a battle of the guards! You let McBride and Loyd catch fire and psych up ND as a team! But ND has NO ANSWER for Dolson, KML, Stewart & Stokes! Pounding it inside early on will set the game plan up where you can shot your 3's later and it'll be demoralizing for ND to not be able to stop UCONN's onslaught inside!
The only scary part is UCONN's offense in the NCAA's has been shaky the first 12 to 15 minutes, so going inside could get everybody to jell offensively and open the offense up accordingly!

UConn Starting Lineup

14 G Bria Hartley SR 5'9” 31.9 mpg, 16.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.4 apg
5 G Moriah Jefferson SO 5'7” 29.5 mpg, 10.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.8 apg
30 F/C Breana Stewart SO 6'4” 30.3 mpg, 19.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 3.0 apg
23 F Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis JR 6' 28.8 mpg, 13.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg
31 C Stefanie Dolson SR 6'5” 32.2 mpg, 12.3 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 3.3 apg
UConn Bench
41 C/F Kia Stokes JR 6'3” 18.7 mpg, 4.5 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 0.8 apg

13 G Briana Banks JR 5'9” 14.6 mpg, 3.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.3 apg
12 G Sanyia Chong FR 5'9” 17.5 mpg, 4.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.6 apg

Notre Dame Starting Lineup
32 G Jewel Loyd SO 5'10” 29.7 mpg, 18.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.1 apg
21 G Kayla McBride SR 5'11” 29.2 mpg, 17.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.9 apg
12 C Taya Reimer FR 6'3” 19.0 mpg, 7.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.6 apg
15 G Lindsay Allen FR 5'7” 26.7 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.9 apg
44 F Ariel Braker SR 6'1” 16.9 mpg, 4.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.3 apg
Notre Dame Bench
23 G Michaela Mabrey SO 5'10” 19.9 mpg, 8.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.2 apg
22 G Madison Cable JR 5'11” 14.5 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.0 apg
34 F Markisha Wright JR 6'2” 8.9 mpg, 2.4 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.4 apg

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
What's not to like! And I think UConn will win going away by 20-25 pts!

Reaction Score
I'm too nervous to watch.
Hope you're posting tonight, Semper. I'm hanging out with you, RadyLady, and UConn Chapette, all of us being nervous wrecks together.

Oh, for another game against Louisville!

Reaction Score
I belive ND goes with a 4 guard lineup tonight. As I stated a couple of games ago, this game must be played in the 50's or very low 60's for ND to have a chance. The Huskies are simply too stingy on the defensive end . I know Irish love to run, but without Achonwa they would be playing right into Uconns hands. A smaller lineup with 3 pt. shooters and a game plan designed to control the pace of the game. I think the Irish will send Loyd to the glass, as they did agaist Maryland. Huskies have not had a great shooting night since leaving Storrs. I think they are about due. Somewhere along the line I expect MoJeff to be able to exploit Allen , whom I believe Irish have done a great job of hiding all season. This will be a very physical game, with few open looks. Stewie and KML must get to the line. Huskies 72-64.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This game will come down to how to two things:

1. How well Loyd and McBride can score from the midrange, off of ball screens and pull-up dribble drives.
2. How well we control the defensive glass.

1. ND Midrange - I agree with DD that "Uconn is even a better defensive team than last year." However, the character of our defense is different. This year we encourage our guards to play tighter since we have confidence in our back line to defend the rim, where we are the all-time leader in team shot blocks. We also alter a lot of shots.

But no defense is impregnable; this includes ours. This is the game where we will miss Kelly Faris. The "soft spot" in our defense, if you want to call it that, is the midrange. Since the game has evolved to place a greater emphasis on 3's and layups, the number of players who excel at the midrange is pretty small. Loyd and McBride are best guard tandem in the country at exploiting the midrange, both in scoring the ball or passing. (I think Mo is the best or among the best at getting to the rim.) They don't have to get all the way to the rim to face our shot blockers every time. And the 5'11" Defensive POY in last year's Big East was the best at staying with defenders as they attempted to penetrate. She had the extra length and athleticism to still challenge the midrange scoring opportunity. I understand that KF was not defending *everyone* 1-on-1 all the time, and that defense is a team effort, but against ND tonight her departure will hurt, particularly since with Achonwa out the guards know they have the green light to do that much more.

Our pressure D on the perimeter will pay some dividends, but not as much against this pair. (We could definitely rattle Allen, however...) Both Loyd and KMcBhave the skill and length to get into the midrange even against the quicker MoJeff, because she plays tight. On ball screens, if we play our usual D , where Mo and Bria fight over or through the screen, this will potentially give both Loyd and McBride the opening they need to attack the middle. I think more often we will need to switch screens against them, unless they do not play the attacking style that I expect.

This might be another game where the Big 3 lineup could turn the tide. With Kiah and Stef patrolling the rim, Stewie could again be utilized to extend the 'back line' pressure further toward the perimeter, via her help defense. We will see.

2. Defensive glass - If we can control the boards on their end, our transition game and scoring efficiency over the entire 40 mins should be too much for them to overcome, so #1 would be moot :) unless they shoot like Villinova '85 or something....

If we play the boards [only] even or--worse yet--allow them an edge, and Loyd/McBride execute well from the midrange, this game will be a nail-biter.

And I won't even talk about duck_l trouble. Just hoping they let them play a little.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DD, you've been pretty accurate in your analysis and predictions of UConn tournament games so far.

I hope you're right about this too, because I'm a nervous wreck.

I"m ashamed to say that I"m too big of a coward to watch tonight. I'll record the game and
watch it immediately if we win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits