UConn NOT in top 40 ESPN class of 2014 rankings? | The Boneyard

UConn NOT in top 40 ESPN class of 2014 rankings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
WTF?
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/classrankings?class=2014
2014 Basketball Class Rankings - ESPN_2013-11-13_14-29-14.jpg

Reaction Score
Rivals ranks their class #30 in the nation, and that's purely based on Hamilton and Cassell alone, since they have no ranking for Lubin.

Reaction Score
Kansas only has Oubre committed right now and they're 39th. Since D-Ham is ranked slightly behind Oubre, and they aren't counting Purvis, fine I get it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not a problem, besides that one guy on SMU, the AAC doesn't have anyone else on the list. So we are equal to our competition at least. And I feel better knowing that as bad as it was losing recruits to other schools, at least they were Top 20 schools like NC State and VCU.

Reaction Score
Can we trade Brimah for one of these 4 star kids at least? How bout that TJ Haws?
Again...these are meaningless. Where was our recruiting class ranked in 2011? Where was Butler's in the years leading up to 2010 and 2011?

Sure, if you can get Randle, Parker, Wiggins, okay. Otherwise, give me the Brimahs of the world mixed with some good players.

We need some stars (and we got 2), a good coach (and we seem to have one), and players with experience (and we got them and will continue to have them in all likelihood), and we'll be fine.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'm sure Jeff Goodman had a hand in this...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're not counting transfers and I doubt they're giving UConn much credit for Cassell, so in our case, that chart isn't really all that important.

Anywho, I see that the AAC is just out there crushing it on the recruiting trail - sure proved me wrong.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Why do we care about class rankings? Haven't we learned from this by now.... they're irrelivant. Especially for a school like us that grabs under-the-radar guys that blossom

Reaction Score
They're not counting transfers and I doubt they're giving UConn much credit for Cassell, so in our case, that chart isn't really all that important.

Anywho, I see that the AAC is just out there crushing it on the recruiting trail - sure proved me wrong.

While UConn isn't on that list, UCF, Memphis and SMU are doing well with recruits.

Depends on the ranking site you go to. But you'll find 8 of the top 100 (Mudiay SMU, Hamilton UCONN, Magee MEMPHIS, Richmond HOUSTON, Tejada ECU, Henriquez UCF, Enechionyia TEMPLE, Moore CINCY) and 2 of the top 10 to AAC schools. Another 4 in the next 100.
The problem is that SMU, UConn, Cincy, Memphis and UCF are the schools grabbing these commits. Houston had a good class last year. The rest of the league is not doing great. Memphis and UCF have a few top 100s for 2015 already.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All right.

I just checked ESPN's rankings. Whoever has Dave Telep is my default for rankings.

The conference has one top-60 commit in 2015 and that's to Memphis. (A bare handful of their top 60 have committed, so no biggie.)

Of their top 100 in 2014, it seems just four are going to the AAC.

#5 Mudai (SMU)
#26 Hamilton (UConn)
#71 Harper (Memphis)
#80 Henriquez (UCF)

Fifteen are heading to the new Big East.

Reaction Score
All right.

I just checked ESPN's rankings. Whoever has Dave Telep is my default for rankings.

The conference has one top-60 commit in 2015 and that's to Memphis. (A bare handful of their top 60 have committed, so no biggie.)

#5 Mudai (SMU)
#26 Hamilton (UConn)
#71 Harper (Memphis)
#80 Henriquez (UCF)

Weird, I'd never even heard of Harper. He doesn't appear on Jerry Meyers' lists.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...no-44-class-2015-picks-ucf-louisville-florida

Let's just say that this far out, everyone has very different lists.

Surprised Telep doesn't like Memphis's Magee since he appears on 4 or 5 different lists. I mostly go to the composites.

Reaction Score
Owens decommitted from UCF.

UCF got two commits from the class of 2015, but neither held - Sanders and Owens both opted out.

Ah... the check bounced?

Have to admit, I haven't been paying attention.

Reaction Score
Interesting conference breakdown of the top 20.

Big Ten: 4
ACC: 4
Big East: 4
SEC: 3
Everybody else: 5

Reaction Score
All right.

#5 Mudai (SMU)
#26 Hamilton (UConn)
#71 Harper (Memphis)
#80 Henriquez (UCF)

Egad! I would never have figured the NBE would have almost 4Xs more top 100 recruits than the AAC. I figured the numbers would be modest for both conferences, but wow! Props to the NBE programs. So much for high level FB being a plus for BB recruiting. There's always a risk that the BCS conferences could break away from the NCAAs and form a super-collegiate association rendering the other conferences as a lower level entity. Although we have high level FB and BB, I don't even know if the AAC is a BCS conference. Anyhow, my point is if a break does occur, institutions that don't have top level FB could end up on the outside looking in, along with little to no national TV coverage and then what would those top 100 recruiting numbers look like?

I still think we're better off not in the NBE, but who knows, my opinion might change if we don't land in a top conference within the next few years. We might find out we're saddled with a crazy 1A (or whatever it's called now a days) FB program and continued fight to the death recruiting battles to get top level BB talent. So far KO has done a great job considering how tough it has seemed. In fact, it seems he pulled a JC rabbit out of the hat in Brimah, who looks to be the next great under-the-radar big to land in Storrs and develop into an NBA talent. Of course landing Hamilton, Purvis and Cassell looks big time to me. Oh, and I'd be remiss if I did not point out that is probably going to follow in Brimah's footsteps as another very good under-the-radar talent, at least at the D1 college level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom