UConn @ North Florida (Fri. 3/2/18@6:05p, Sat 3/3/18@2:05p>ESPN3, Sun 3/4/18@12:05p) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn @ North Florida (Fri. 3/2/18@6:05p, Sat 3/3/18@2:05p>ESPN3, Sun 3/4/18@12:05p)

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Once again, we couldn't solve their bullpen. Unfortunate, but we have to rebound next week.

Reaction Score
I'm baffled they wouldn't pinch hit for Nucerino there. Fedko would've been ideal. Is what it is, have to come ready for the next one. Long season.

Reaction Score
Come selection Monday, this is the type of series every year we seem to look back on and say only if. Has to stop one of these years.

Reaction Score
I thought they were in good shape after winning Friday. Unfortunately sloppy play got them in game 2 & 3. On the bright side everything they did wrong this week can be cleaned up, more mental than physical

Reaction Score
I thought they were in good shape after winning Friday. Unfortunately sloppy play got them in game 2 & 3

Sloppy play was the killer today. They could have survived yesterday's mistakes if the pitching hadn't given up 5 runs in the 1st inning.

Reaction Score
“We regressed, went backwards this weekend”

(... and yes, even the video audio was a disaster as well - not meant to be this weekend ;))

Reaction Score
I thought they were in good shape after winning Friday. Unfortunately sloppy play got them in game 2 & 3. On the bright side everything they did wrong this week can be cleaned up, more mental than physical

Yeah but the losses can't be. These lost series always doom them for an at large bid.

Reaction Score
Something similar to this happened last year. They played an awful week in week 4 against UC Davis, if I remember correctly. At the end of the year nobody was pointing to that series as the reason they were 2nd out of the tourney. It was midweeks against subpar NE teams or not being able to get more than 5 hits off of the Sunday guys in the last 2 regular season weeks. While we expect UConn to come out the gate and play flawless, it’s somewhat unreasonable. Not only do they practice inside for the first 5 weeks, where they aren’t able to practice things every other team in the south or west coast can but they are on the road for at least the first 6 weeks with no midweeks to hone in their skills. Even the 2010 team was 5-4 in their first 9 games.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We beat UC Davis 2 out of 3, but got smacked by a garbage Santa Clara team. That game hurt as much as Hartford etc.

Reaction Score
Something similar to this happened last year. They played an awful week in week 4 against UC Davis, if I remember correctly. At the end of the year nobody was pointing to that series as the reason they were 2nd out of the tourney. It was midweeks against subpar NE teams or not being able to get more than 5 hits off of the Sunday guys in the last 2 regular season weeks. While we expect UConn to come out the gate and play flawless, it’s somewhat unreasonable. Not only do they practice inside for the first 5 weeks, where they aren’t able to practice things every other team in the south or west coast can but they are on the road for at least the first 6 weeks with no midweeks to hone in their skills. Even the 2010 team was 5-4 in their first 9 games.

Couldn't say it any better. In college baseball you can have a few bad losses or even weekends. That's how baseball is. You just can't let it snowball into something bigger.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah some of those midweek losses in May had me shaking my head
I agree every Northeast team and Midwest team starts at a disadvantage and that does come to play throughout the year - great pitching can help overcome that, that's why St Johns and Maine had some dynamite seasons back in the day.

Reaction Score

(... and yes, even the video audio was a disaster as well - not meant to be this weekend ;))

Yesterday the audio was quite good. Today, horrible. My dog ran out of the room. Talk about regression and going backwards.

Reaction Score
Disappointing weekend.

I know this isn't breaking news, but step 1 for a successful season: win Cate's starts.

Reaction Score
Disappointing weekend.

I know this isn't breaking news, but step 1 for a successful season: win Cate's starts.

The next step would be getting consistent quality starts (6+ innings, 3 or less runs) from weekend starters Mason Feole and Chase Gardner as well. I think between the two of them they have had 1 quality start out of 6 appearances. If you include Tim Cate, then UConn has had 2 quality starts out of 9 games. Remember, starting pitching is supposed to be the strength of the UConn baseball team this season.

Reaction Score

Yes some foam rubber or spunge and an elasticband would go a long way to help cut down the wind noise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom