UCONN Non-Conference Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Non-Conference Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn wanted Marist to come to UConn for a single game.
Marist refused saying they would only do a home-and-home.

Marist is playing in the Paradise Jam this year so maybe we will get to play them. Marist is a great program and has a great coach.

Reaction Score
Marist is playing in the Paradise Jam this year so maybe we will get to play them. Marist is a great program and has a great coach.
Yeah.... And from what I've heard, they've got a good recruiting class coming. This past year was the one chance someone had to end their MAAC Dynasty and nobody could do it.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
There will be very few teams that will give UCONN or Baylor a good game next season. I'm not sure that either will have a game closer than 15 to 20 except when they play each other.

I disagree. Of course being a fan of neither Baylor nor UConn, I guess that would be expected. But seriously? You think UConn and Baylor will never let any team come within 10 points of them except when they play each other? I heartily disagree. It is very difficult to maintain that level of play, and other teams will be pretty good. I guess we'll see.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I disagree. Of course being a fan of neither Baylor nor UConn, I guess that would be expected. But seriously? You think UConn and Baylor will never let any team come within 10 points of them except when they play each other? I heartily disagree. It is very difficult to maintain that level of play, and other teams will be pretty good. I guess we'll see.
Except that UCONN has traveled that route multiple times before and know how to navigate the path. Others will have to elevate their game because UConn will not be coming back to the pack.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Except that UCONN has traveled that route multiple times before and know how to navigate the path. Others will have to elevate their game because UConn will not be coming back to the pack.

I agree that UConn seldom lowers its play to the level of their competition, but you are clearly overstating your case here. Since the 2000-2001 season (12 seasons), UConn has only beaten all its opponents (in the regular season) by more than 10 once (2009-2010), and they've never even come close to beating them all by 15. In the 2008-9 season, there were 9 games decided by 15 points or less (despite the fact that UConn's smallest margin of victory was 10 points (twice: Notre Dame and Rutgers). So UConn is 1 for 12 and came very close another time, so I wouldn't say that UConn has been very successful at navigatig that path.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree that UConn seldom lowers its play to the level of their competition, but you are clearly overstating your case here. Since the 2000-2001 season (12 seasons), UConn has only beaten all its opponents (in the regular season) by more than 10 once (2009-2010), and they've never even come close to beating them all by 15. In the 2008-9 season, there were 9 games decided by 15 points or less (despite the fact that UConn's smallest margin of victory was 10 points (twice: Notre Dame and Rutgers). So UConn is 1 for 12 and came very close another time, so I wouldn't say that UConn has been very successful at navigatig that path.

They have been very successful at navigating that path when they have the clearly superior team.

Other than Baylor and possibly Duke, what other game do you see as close as 15?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Who will play UConn "as close as 15"? I don't know. Who called Notre Dame's loss to WV or UConn's loss to St. Johns last season? Surprises happen, and that's great! Maryland should be good next year. Stanford, A&M, and Penn State could surprise. And then there's the whole BE slate. Louisville could cause problems, or ND, Rutgers, or some other upstart. Do you honestly believe that UConn will win every game next year (except Baylor and maybe Duke) by at least 15 points? Even at their most dominant, UConn never did that! Baylor was extremely dominant last year and won by 15 or fewer points 8 times in the regular season!! Expecting that sort of performance can only disappoint.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Any chance of a game being scheduled for the Cali girls?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Who will play UConn "as close as 15"? I don't know. Who called Notre Dame's loss to WV or UConn's loss to St. Johns last season? Surprises happen, and that's great! Maryland should be good next year. Stanford, A&M, and Penn State could surprise. And then there's the whole BE slate. Louisville could cause problems, or ND, Rutgers, or some other upstart. Do you honestly believe that UConn will win every game next year (except Baylor and maybe Duke) by at least 15 points? Even at their most dominant, UConn never did that! Baylor was extremely dominant last year and won by 15 or fewer points 8 times in the regular season!! Expecting that sort of performance can only disappoint.
I agree it is unlikely that UConn will beat everyone but Baylor and possibly Duke by at least 15 or whatever was said here. That's because UConn will be a very good, but not yet dominant team, maybe better if the frosh contribute as much as they seem to be capable of contributing. I think some UConn fans are expecting Stewart and the other frosh to play like All Americans immediately. They might, but they might not.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The issue was 10 points, not 15. And they have come very close on other occassions with only a single loss under 10 which was my expectation given the inclusion of Baylor in your original post. And I would assert expectations and attitude are a significant part of the battle. No one knows how to manage that better than UConn. Take last year's FF team and add #s 1,2, and (4/6) and I find it very reasonable to suggest that outside of Baylor it is likely no one else plays within 10. I do not expect any team to play UConn under ten if not next year then certainly the following year and certainly not more than maybe one opponent.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Probably not. I haven't seen how good the freshman are on the college level and how they will assimilate into Geno's system.

Now, anything is possible. St. John's beating UConn was stunning. BUT.....this team will be better than last years. I'de say even MUCH better.

Of the teams you mentioned, can you say the same?

Maryland? Sorry, but after seeing them get destroyed in the NCAA's, I just don't see it.
Stanford? Not without the elder O.
Penn State? Did you watch the NCAA game against UConn this past season?
Louisville? Not yet.
ND? Much worse than last year.
Rutgers? HAHAHAHA!

Sorry, but you are underestimating this years team and overestimating the other teams. The gap between Uconn, Baylor and even Duke and everyone else is substantial.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Now, anything is possible. St. John's beating UConn was stunning. BUT.....this team will be better than last years. I'de say even MUCH better.

Of course you can look at each game and say UConn should win this game. But that's not the way it works. Look over past years' data. I agree that this year's rendition of UConn should be better than last year's. But did you ever imagine last year's UConn team losing to St. Johns? Of course not. Did you imagine ND beating UConn in the FF 2 season's ago? Of course not. Upsets happen. Close games happen even more frequently than that. To expect UConn to win each game by 15+ points just because they are 15 points better than every other team (except Baylor and maybe Duke) is unrealistic. You are setting up yourself for disappointment.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Of course you can look at each game and say UConn should win this game. But that's not the way it works. Look over past years' data. I agree that this year's rendition of UConn should be better than last year's. But did you ever imagine last year's UConn team losing to St. Johns? Of course not. Did you imagine ND beating UConn in the FF 2 season's ago? Of course not. Upsets happen. Close games happen even more frequently than that. To expect UConn to win each game by 15+ points just because they are 15 points better than every other team (except Baylor and maybe Duke) is unrealistic. You are setting up yourself for disappointment.

I don't think you know me well enough to understand what "dissapointment" is for me.

I go into every game thinking UConn will win. They are capable of doing just that.

Am I disspointed in them not winning every game by 15+ points? Of course not.

I've seen several undefeated seasons, and based on that experiences and my opiniion on who they are playing, they have a great shot of beating every team they play, including Baylor. Confidence in the team you root for is not a bad thing if it's based on some realism. I believe this is.

Reaction Score

You keep saying fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. I don't think fans will be crushed if UConn wins some games by less than 10 or 15 points next season. The 2010 NC game was one of the games that was decided by less than 10. But I don't think any fan would want to change that outcome. As long as the game ends with a W, that's all that matters.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Wait, people, follow the thread. I never said that UConn would have a disappointing season. I never even said or implied that UConn would lose a game. All I said is that history has shown that it is difficult to win every game, and EXTREMELY difficult to win every game by 15+ points. And if you go into the season expecting that type of performance (winning each game by 15+ points), THEN you will be disappointed. But I think UConn has a decent chance to go undefeated, although I consider Baylor the favorite. I expect UConn to play Baylor twice next season, first in Connecticut and later in Lousiana.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wait, people, follow the thread. I never said that UConn would have a disappointing season. I never even said or implied that UConn would lose a game. All I said is that history has shown that it is difficult to win every game, and EXTREMELY difficult to win every game by 15+ points. And if you go into the season expecting that type of performance (winning each game by 15+ points), THEN you will be disappointed. But I think UConn has a decent chance to go undefeated, although I consider Baylor the favorite. I expect UConn to play Baylor twice next season, first in Connecticut and later in Lousiana.

And I never said they would win every game by 15 points. Just that outside of Baylor and maybe Duke, they are capable of doing just that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Nice of you to pay us a visit and remind us of all those nail-biters we have endured over the years.

It apparently did not occur to you that "garbage time" may have been instrumental in narrowing the final margin of victory.

Reaction Score

I am following the thread and I know you didn't say the season would be disappointing. You said the FANS would be disappointed if we didn't win by 15+. I don't think most fans will be disappointed if we don't win every game by a large margin. As long as the game ends with a win, I know I won't be disappointed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There will be very few teams that will give UCONN or Baylor a good game next season. I'm not sure that either will have a game closer than 15 to 20 except when they play each other.

catcards.jpg

Reaction Score
in the 2008-2009 season what was the average of uconn beating everyone else wasn't it 23 or by 33 points??? This uconn team i think will match that margin

Reaction Score
it happened in 2009-2010

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I am following the thread and I know you didn't say the season would be disappointing. You said the FANS would be disappointed if we didn't win by 15+. I don't think most fans will be disappointed if we don't win every game by a large margin. As long as the game ends with a win, I know I won't be disappointed.

I did not say fans would be disappointed if UConn didn't win every game by 15+. I said that IF FANS EXPECT UCONN TO WIN EVERY GAME BY 15+ POINTS (EXCEPT BAYLOR AND PERHAPS DUKE), the fans would be disappointed. That's a HUGE difference and I cannot believe that I am getting so much flack over it.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
it happened in 2009-2010

No it didn't.

UConn 80-68 over Duke.
UConn 66-52 over St. John's
UConn 59-44 over ND in BE tourney was exactly 15

UConn 53-47 over Stanford (but that was in the championship game of course, so we can consider Stanford as Baylor/Duke for that season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No it didn't.

UConn 80-68 over Duke.
UConn 66-52 over St. John's
UConn 59-44 over ND in BE tourney was exactly 15

UConn 53-47 over Stanford (but that was in the championship game of course, so we can consider Stanford as Baylor/Duke for that season.

Looks like nitpicking to me.

The 80-68 game was against Stanford not Duke. UConn was up 22 with 4 minutes left and it was an 18 point lead with 2 minutes left. UConn eased up on defense.

Against St. John's, UConn was up 23 with 6:43 left. 17 with 4:22 left. And 17 with 25 seconds left.

Against ND, It was closer than any other game other than the final. But 15 point win fits in to me. I might have misread, but I thought the criteria was 15+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom